Fundraising wearing uniform?

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Fundraising wearing uniform?

Postby eagles nest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:02 am

Scenario: Scout is doing a fundraiser dinner at his church to raise money to fund his eagle project. Can he and the servers from the troop wear Class A uniforms during the event ?

Thanks,

eagles nest
eagles nest
Scout

Re: Fundraising wearing uniform?

Postby RWSmith » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:50 am

Just curious... will the ESLSP benefit the church?
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby evmori » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:51 am

If you get the proper council approval, yes.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby eagles nest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:22 am

It benefits a non-profit camp the church owns.
eagles nest
Scout

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:03 am

The dinner is part of his Eagle Project and should be advertised as such. Venue to me is unimportant. Uniforms sound fine to be but don't get any spaghetti sauce on them.

Some councils are sticklers for this, other are not. Most like to "Show the Flag of Scouts in Action"
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:16 pm

One of BSA rules is that a Scout is NEVER to raise money for any other organizations.

The ELSP is a community service project first and foremost. He is raising funds for the church camp, not for Scouting. All funds raised will be used/given to the church camp.

Because of all of that, I would say NO to wearing uniforms. I would also say that the Eagle Candidate should consult with his council to get their approval if he does want everyone to wear their uniform.

However, it does not matter one little whit now does it? According to your other post the fundraiser is over and done with this past weekend, and I take it everyone wore their uniform. So, why the question now, after the fact?
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby evmori » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:31 pm

Nuts4Scouts wrote:One of BSA rules is that a Scout is NEVER to raise money for any other organizations.

The money is being raised for an Eagle project and not for another organization. Please read the back of the Unit Money Earning form. It is spelled out there. Scouts may wear the uniform when fund raising providing they have council approval.
Ed Mori
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:57 pm

evmori wrote:
Nuts4Scouts wrote:One of BSA rules is that a Scout is NEVER to raise money for any other organizations.

The money is being raised for an Eagle project and not for another organization. Please read the back of the Unit Money Earning form. It is spelled out there. Scouts may wear the uniform when fund raising providing they have council approval.

There's a form? :lol: :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby eagles nest » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:04 pm

The reason for the question now, after the fact, is for future events. We have 12 Life Scouts heading for Eagle in the next year or so and we are in unfamiliar waters with the fund raising issue. One person brought up the question as the even was winding up and I thought it was a good point to investigate. Live & learn.
eagles nest
Scout

Postby razor_strop » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:31 am

You mean like the Salvation Army Christmas bell-ringing campaign, which is specifically mentioned on the Unit Money Raising Application but is actively endorsed by councils around the country and is encouraged for listing under the Good Turn for America program?
razor_strop
Life

Postby evmori » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:47 am

razor_strop wrote:

You mean like the Salvation Army Christmas bell-ringing campaign, which is specifically mentioned on the Unit Money Raising Application but is actively endorsed by councils around the country and is encouraged for listing under the Good Turn for America program?

I thought the Good Turn for America was service related, not fund raising?????? :?:
Ed Mori
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby Cowboy » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:36 am

Good Turn does not specify that the community service be conducted as a Troop, or even as a Boy Scout in Uniform. It is simply community service that Boy Scouts are conducting.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby kwildman » Mon May 03, 2010 4:36 am

show me this one. I believe you are misinformed.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Mon May 03, 2010 2:55 pm

kwildman wrote:

show me this one. I believe you are misinformed.

Nope, not misinformed at all. From the BSA Guide To Unit Money-Earning Projects (can be found on the back of the BSA Unit Money-Earning Application and other places) --

Will the fund-raising project avoid soliciting money or gifts?

The BSA Rules and Regulations state, “Youth members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors of money for their chartered organizations, for the local council, or in support of other organizations. Adult and youth members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors of money in support of personal or unit participation in local, national, or international events.”

For example: Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts and leaders should not identify themselves as Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts or as a troop/pack participate in The Salvation Army’s Christmas Bell Ringing program. This would be raising money for another organization.

At no time are units permitted to solicit contributions for unit programs.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby evmori » Tue May 04, 2010 6:19 am

Let's not forget #6.

If a commercial product is to be sold, will the
fund-raising activity comply with BSA policy on
wearing the uniform?

The official uniform is intended to be worn primarily
for use in connection with Scouting activities.
However, council executive boards may approve use
of the uniform for any fund-raising activity.

With the proper approval, the uniform may be worn.
Ed Mori
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby FrankJ » Tue May 04, 2010 8:21 am

Since the rules are in the on the back of the BSA Unit Money-Earning Application... BSA obviously makes a distinction between solicitation & fund raising. But if you want to give a gift to national--go to the web site. The donate button is easy to find on any page. If you want to donate to council just wait. FOS will find you. :)
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Wed May 05, 2010 7:25 am

Nuts4Scouts wrote:Nope, not misinformed at all. From the BSA Guide To Unit Money-Earning Projects (can be found on the back of the BSA Unit Money-Earning Application and other places) --

Will the fund-raising project avoid soliciting money or gifts?

The BSA Rules and Regulations state, “Youth members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors of money for their chartered organizations, for the local council, or in support of other organizations. Adult and youth members shall not be permitted to serve as solicitors of money in support of personal or unit participation in local, national, or international events.”
At no time are units permitted to solicit contributions for unit programs.

I shared this with my law school professors. The cut of money taken/given/ear-marked or whatever word you want to use from the annual popcorn sales cnn legally be considered "solicitation for the local council.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby FrankJ » Wed May 05, 2010 7:33 am

While the Friend of Scouting campaign is clearly soliciting funds for the council. Popcorn sales is more of the council taking a cut of the profits. Or so it seems to me. Since both are authorized by BSA they would be exceptions to the general rules anyway.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Wed May 05, 2010 9:38 am

I remember at age 8, or so, going around my neighborhood selling packets of flower/vegetable seeds, wearing my Cub Scout uniform; it was from a fund-raising advertisement straight out of Boys' Life magazine... I even ordered the seeds, myself. Back in the day, that was not only allowed, but encouraged, to help a Scout learn the associated values. E.g., to pay my weekly dues, which I think worked out be about a dime, and also to help me pay for uniform items that I couldn't get from the Pack's uniform locker.

My point is: that was then; this is now. Today, the Annual Popcorn drive is, to my knowledge, the only nationally approved fund-raising opportunity and, in some councils, the only fund-raising opportunity offered. I have heard that a few councils do have other council-level approved fund-raising opportunities. From my perspective, the fund-raising advertisements in Boys' Life these days are, for lack of a better way to put it, more stringently vetted (geared) towards the unit, rather than the individual, that can be easily approved by the council -- Hmm?

My, how times have changed.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Quailman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:11 pm

I heard (secondhand) about a fundraiser that seems to be a breach of every policy related to raising money. On Scout Sunday, the troop at my mother's church was recognized. Following the service, the uniformed scouts stood near each exit with pails. According to my mother, it was a collection for the troop's coffers, and from what she could see they were "doing quite well."

So they were in uniform, and they were soliciting donations for the troop instead of giving something of value. I wonder if they submitted that to their council for approval...
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies