TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Postby cinder » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:01 pm

Does anyone feel strongly about either software package...particularly from the Advancement perspective (as I'm the Advancement chair candidate)?
cinder
Scout
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:42 pm
Location: Jersey Shore Council

Re: TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Postby Mrw » Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:16 am

I quite like Troopmaaster. And uploading advancement directly from there to ScoutNet had drastically cut the amount of time I spend trying to correct errors in advancement keyed in at Council.

I am not familiar with ScoutSoft, but if it does not output data that will upload directly, then I would not bother with it.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:49 pm
Location: Greater Cleveland

Re: TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:30 am

Both ScoutSoft and TroopMaster are ScoutNet capable. While ScoutSoft is primarily aimed at LDS units, I believe it can be used by others too.

Both programs have free trials. I would do that first to get a feel for each one.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle
 
Posts: 407
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:17 am
Location: Des Plaines Valley

Re: TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Postby WeeWillie » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:07 am

Troopmaster has a FTP safe storage site that allows you to store all your records in case your computer dies with all your records. It also allows other leaders to accesss the common files. For example the Activities CM can do LTP, Permission Slips, Attendance, the Membership CM Personal Data, CC Recharter, SM/ASMs Advancement Reports, Advancement - tracking & Advancement Reports. It is called DOTNET. Prior to T480 using DOTNET the adults were swapping data disks & transferring files via email. No two reports ever looked the same.

It does take a systems adminstrator to establish accounts and passwords, but if I can do it....


Don't know if Scoutsoft has a similar capability!
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle
 
Posts: 449
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 10:40 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Re: TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Postby divermann » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:14 am

First, I am not overly familiar with either TM or SS; but here is a third free option to consider. In the MyScouting section (http://scouting.org/Applications/MyScoutingFull.aspx) of Scouting.org there is now a unit internet advancement tool that can help you with record keeping. It pools its initial data from the units online registration and you add advancement information from there. Here is a small excerpt from Scouting.org:

Welcome and thank you for using Internet Advancement from the Boy Scouts of America. Internet
Advancement allows you to enter youth advancements, awards, and merit badges and perform the
following actions:
Select members from your existing roster,
Review, update, or add ranks, merit badges, and/or awards,
Access an online Review Unit Roster feature and the Unit Advancement Summary,
Print an Advancement Report with a Unit Awards Summary to assist in purchasing.


I hope this helps (but it might make it more confussing :lol: )
Eagle Scout w/ 4 Palms-1973
Former Chief Wagion #6-1977
Council Training Chairman
Council Aquatics Chairman
Asst Council Commissioner-Venturing/Exploring
Wood Badge, Sea Badge, & Powder Horn Trained
divermann
First Class
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Greenwich Council, BSA

Re: TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Postby Mrw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:02 am

divermann wrote:First, I am not overly familiar with either TM or SS; but here is a third free option to consider. In the MyScouting section (http://scouting.org/Applications/MyScoutingFull.aspx) of Scouting.org there is now a unit internet advancement tool that can help you with record keeping. It pools its initial data from the units online registration and you add advancement information from there. Here is a small excerpt from Scouting.org:

Welcome and thank you for using Internet Advancement from the Boy Scouts of America. Internet
Advancement allows you to enter youth advancements, awards, and merit badges and perform the
following actions:
Select members from your existing roster,
Review, update, or add ranks, merit badges, and/or awards,
Access an online Review Unit Roster feature and the Unit Advancement Summary,
Print an Advancement Report with a Unit Awards Summary to assist in purchasing.


I hope this helps (but it might make it more confussing :lol: )


This is a description of ScoutNet, the software the BSA uses to track advancement and registration.

It is clunky and not really overly useful if you are wanting to quickly check which boy needs which badges. It is good the ScoutSoft and Troopmaster will upload the data directly to ScoutNet for advancement and then print out a paper copy of the report to be turned in when the badges are picked up.

The other scout/troop management program can also track fund-raising, attendance, individual progress towards the next rank and will store multiple email and phone contacts for each boy. At least I know for sure that Troopmaster can do this.
Last edited by Mrw on Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:49 pm
Location: Greater Cleveland

Re: TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Postby divermann » Mon Mar 30, 2009 10:34 am

Mrw, TY VM for the clarification of application! For additional research for all, here is a link to ScoutSoft: http://www.scoutsoft.net and for TroopMaster: http://www.troopmaster.com/scoutnet.html . Mrw for a relatively new poster (but big reader) to MB.net, can you please give me a definition of the acronym "si". Thanks Again!
Eagle Scout w/ 4 Palms-1973
Former Chief Wagion #6-1977
Council Training Chairman
Council Aquatics Chairman
Asst Council Commissioner-Venturing/Exploring
Wood Badge, Sea Badge, & Powder Horn Trained
divermann
First Class
 
Posts: 54
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:18 pm
Location: Greenwich Council, BSA

Re: TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Postby Mrw » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:20 pm

divermann wrote: Mrw for a relatively new poster (but big reader) to MB.net, can you please give me a definition of the acronym "si". Thanks Again!



Ummm.....that would just be my poor typing skills and the word should be - is.... :oops:
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:49 pm
Location: Greater Cleveland

Re: TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Postby Quailman » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:29 pm

Surely he was j/k (just kidding)! Or maybe he's such a good typist that he's not sued to seeing typos fo that sort in his won posts.
Quailman
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 831
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:52 am
Location: Sam Houston Area Council, Spring, TX

Re: TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Postby cinder » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:33 pm

Just wanted to thank everyone for the input! The decision was made to go with TM, and I've had success in connecting with the server, so I'm happy :D Now if I can just figure out exactly what needs to be printed in order to get the badges, we'll be good to go....

THANKS AGAIN, EVERYONE !!
cinder
Scout
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Dec 01, 2008 1:42 pm
Location: Jersey Shore Council

Re: TroopMaster vs. ScoutSoft

Postby Mrw » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:17 am

cinder wrote:Just wanted to thank everyone for the input! The decision was made to go with TM, and I've had success in connecting with the server, so I'm happy :D Now if I can just figure out exactly what needs to be printed in order to get the badges, we'll be good to go....

THANKS AGAIN, EVERYONE !!


It is under Rreports, Awards and then Court of Honor IIRC.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1297
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:49 pm
Location: Greater Cleveland


Return to Troop Issues

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests