Light of Christ Award

This forum is for discussing any of the many Religious Awards requirements, including tips and techniques. Do NOT use this forum for preaching, proselytizing, questioning or criticizing any religion(s).

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for discussing any of the many Religious Awards requirements, including tips and techniques. Do NOT use this forum for preaching, proselytizing, questioning or criticizing any religion(s).

Light of Christ Award

Postby Old Beaver » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:41 pm

Greetings all.

I have a group of Tiger Cubs who are working on this award with their parents. I put together a summary of the program which I handed out to interested parents at Pack meetings and at a couple of orientation sessions earlier this fall. For anyone who is interested, I've copied it below (if I could figure out how to incorporate the Word file, I'd do so, but that's beyond my capabilities). In the heading, I copied in an image of the medal along with an image of the religious knot, both of which you can clip off the internet.

Here's the text....feel free to copy this into Word and edit as is appropriate:

St. Perpetua Church
Light of Christ Religious Medal

Purpose

The Light of Christ program is designed for registered Tiger Cubs or Wolf Cub Scouts of the Catholic faith. The program is designed to help young boys develop a greater understanding of their faith and deepen their relationship with Jesus.

The Program
Each participating Cub Scout works with his parents on the activities in the Light of Christ Activity Book. Parents must be actively involved in working through the Activity Book with their sons. The Religious Emblems Coordinator, _________, is available as a resource, but parents play the key role for this program. We will have an orientation session in September, with follow-up meetings in the fall as necessary.

The Activity Book has various sections dealing with families, the call of God, forgiveness, the Eucharist and the Church. When the boy has completed the Activity Book, the parents should contact __________, who will arrange for a review of the Activity Book and an interview. Following this, the parish will send the completed application form (located in the back of the Activity Book) to the Diocese Committee on Scouting for final approval. Note: In order to receive the Light of Christ emblem, all requirements must be completed by the start of 3rd Grade.

The Light of Christ Emblem and Religious Knot Patch
The parish will receive the Light of Christ medal or emblem from the Diocese on behalf of the boy. This emblem recognizes the effort of the Tiger or Wolf Cub Scout in advancing his faith. We anticipate that the Light of Christ emblem will be presented to the boy during the “Scouting Sunday” Mass in early February. In addition to the Light of Christ medal, the boy is entitled to the religious knot patch and the Light of Christ “device pin”, which is worn on the uniform. The religious knot patch should be presented at the Pack’s Blue and Gold Banquet.

Contact Information:
Woodbadge WE3-23-08 (Beaver Patrol)
ASM, Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Old Beaver
Tenderfoot

Re: Light of Christ Award

Postby Old Beaver » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:17 pm

I’ve found a very helpful resource to counselors working on the Catholic religious emblems programs like the Light of Christ. The National Catholic Committee on Scouting (NCCS) offers significant materials relating to the various Catholic religious emblems programs and Catholic Scouting in general. If religious medals counselors are interested in learning more about Catholic Scouting emblems, activities and events, then visit http://www.NCCS-BSA.org. Interested Scouters can also join the NCCS network on Facebook by becoming a fan. NCCS also publishes an eNews service which puts out periodic communications of interest to religious emblems counselors working on the Catholic medals. In order to subscribe, click on: http://www.nccs-bsa.info/NCCSnews/?p=subscribe&id=1 . Scouters can also get more information by contacting NCCS: NCCS@scouting.org.
Jim
Woodbadge WE3-23-08 (Beaver Patrol)
ASM, Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Old Beaver
Tenderfoot

Return to Religious Awards