Earning cooking merit badge

American Business, American Cultures, American Heritage, American Labor, Animal Science, Archaeology, Archery, Architecture, Art, Astronomy, Athletics, Atomic Energy, Auto Mechanics, Aviation, Backpacking, Basketry, Bird Study, Bugling, Canoeing, Chemistry, Chess, Cinematography, Climbing, Coin Collecting, Collections, Computers, Cooking, and Crime Prevention.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby dparker » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:15 pm

In our council, a MB counselor has to fill out the Adult leader application AND a MB counselor application form. Here is the form they use: http://www.bsa-gyc.org/forms/34405_MB_app.pdf.

I don't know if it is a form from National or not.
David Parker
Committee Member, Troop 92
Toloma Lodge 64
dparker
Star

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:17 pm

scoutmasterbob wrote:I looked at the adult application to be a volunteer leader and there is a box and a code, code 42, for a MB counselor, but I could not find a place to list which MB you would be counselling.

I am a counsellor for a number of MB and I dont think I have ever been registered with the council, local or national to be a MBC for a specific MB.

The District my troop is in, recently held a drive to try and get all MBC registered in our district, I dont rcall having to list the MBs they would be counselling, only to get them registered.

Correct me if I am in error.

There is a SEPARATE "Merit Badge Counselor Information" form (No. 33405) which should be completed and submitted ALONG WITH the Adult Application for membership. It can be downloaded from the BSA web site at http://www.bsa.scouting.org/forms/34405.pdf
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Guneukitschik » Wed Sep 08, 2004 1:20 pm

A Merit Badge Counselor fills out the same adult application that every other adult leader in the BSA does... in addition (at least in my council) they fill out a Merit Badge Counselor Application and list the merit badges that they wish to be a counselor for. They need to list some backup (education, work related, etc.) as to why they are qualified to be a MBC for this particular subject.
I'm sure that not every Scoutmaster out there is a master chef...however, I do feel that most Scoutmasters understand the merit badge program and know when a requirement has been fully completed. So does this work in every council? It is definately an interesting idea worth some consideration.
Guneukitschik

Postby scoutmasterbob » Wed Sep 08, 2004 2:22 pm

Well done Paul! :D This is the reason for this forum, I did not know anything like that existed!

The link you have listed did not work but this one I found does.
http://www.scouting.org/forms/34405.pdf

Thanks again!
Bob Torkelson
Scoutmaster Troop 538
www.wx5troop538.homestead.com
Roundtable Staff since 1994
Eagle-1983
Woodsbadge-2000
Fox Patrol
Live The Oath!
scoutmasterbob
Star

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Sep 08, 2004 3:12 pm

scoutmasterbob wrote:Well done Paul! :D This is the reason for this forum, I did not know anything like that existed!

The link you have listed did not work but this one I found does.
http://www.scouting.org/forms/34405.pdf

Thanks again!

Thank YOU. I'll correct the link I have on the USSSP website tonight.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby cballman » Wed Sep 08, 2004 5:31 pm

In our troop we very seldom have to go to the council for mbc because of the size. our parents are so diversified in what their hobbies are I think we have them listed as to what merit badges they are the counselors for. only if a child wants to take one that is not on are list we then recruit one and then let the kids know who it is. Then they make contact. Yes all the leaders are registered as committie or ASM or MBC but we dont have to just use a council MBC for just any badges. our troop has now about 65 to 75 kids in it and about 50-55 active.
cballman

Postby optimist » Thu Sep 09, 2004 10:35 am

Paul is absolutely correct. That form is also available in the MeritBadge.com Forms and Files section as well.

evmori wrote:I wonder what National would say about this. Cooking isn't a "slam dunk" merit badge! And I am sure there are Scoutmasters in your council that can't even boil water!

That's a valid point, Ed, but I must disagree with your premise that this would invalidate the idea of allowing Scoutmasters to automatically be merit badge counselors for these merit badges. All of the merit badges mentioned are basic Scouting skills merit badges. Scoutmasters already automatically pass off on basic Scouting skills irregardless of their knowledge in these subject areas because of the Tenderfoot, Second Class, and First Class requirements.

Despite being in Scouting for 18 years, I still have to hit the books every time I need to help Scouts with the First Class requirement "Identify or show evidence of at least 10 kinds of native plants found in your community." Of course, I always have the option of asking someone to assist me when they know more about this than I do. Any merit badge counselor has this right as well as long as they are the ones who actually sign off on the requirements.

I believe the question here really is which merit badges would a policy like this would be most valid for. Thoughts?
optimist
Adv Chair

Postby RWSmith » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:48 pm

evmori wrote:And I am sure there are Scoutmasters in your council that can't even boil water!

RWSmith wrote:Now, Ed... I'm sure you didn't mean a thing by that. But, everbody, please... And "tone," my friends, is often difficult to convert into the written word. .... Hey, I've done it, too. .... I'm going to repost my portion of this in the General Info. and FAQs, where it (more appropriately) belongs.

Ed,

Please accept my apology for singling you out. Although that was not my intent, it's what happened.

As a Moderator, I should have used myself (or another Moderator) for an example, not you. I should've taken my own advice and just put my comments in the proper forum, where they (more appropriately) belonged.

Again, not only to you, Ed, but to all board members, please accept my sincere apology.

<A Scout is humble.>
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby evmori » Fri Sep 10, 2004 5:55 am

RW,
No offense was taken but thanks anyway. And I still stand by my statement.

Optimist,
I also have to crack the book open for the rank requirements. Still, just because one is the Scoutmaster doesn't mean they have basic Scouting skills. Should they? Yes by all means. But basic Scouting skills isn't the only talent needed to be a Scoutmaster.

I don't think this policy is valid for any merit badge for reasons I stated above.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby Who » Fri Jan 21, 2005 11:34 am

I missed somthing here. Are you saying that Scoutmasters should be required to teach certan Merit Badges? Why? If he is doing his job he will be doing other things and teaching the mb that he he knows. Putting that much more just makes his job harder. Been there did that.
To me that is where your Adults come in. Your troop council should help supply your troops resource for the required MB. Each parent should be active (in some manner) in the troop. Not just using it as a place to drop billy off and then go for a night on the town. (Dont get me started on that)
Without the support of your troop adults you are going to have anything but a pain in the you know what.
I think that when a boy joins the PARENT joins also and that this should be explained just that way. Scouting should not be a free ride for the parent.
Each of us have somthing to give but putting it on one person is not the answer
Marcy, my question to you is, "Why not sign up to be a councler for that Mb and even others?" Its a great way to help and teach others.
Thanks,
Rick
Who
Scout

Re: Earning cooking merit badge

Postby MrsRockett » Mon Apr 07, 2014 2:25 pm

You know reading the original start of this thread, I read it differently than many others.

When a blue card is handed out, it requires a Scoutmaster to sign the front portion. A Merit Badge Counselor is required to complete the steps and they sign off on the other pages. But you could really have a valid statement in saying that a 'scoutmaster gives out a blue card'; they just can't certify that the scout has completed the steps to earn the merit badge.
MrsRockett
Scout

Previous

Return to Merit Badges -- A-C