First Aid

Dentistry, Disabilities Awareness, Dog Care, Drafting, Electricity, Electronics, Energy, Engineering, Entrepreneurship, Farm Mechanics, Fingerprinting, Fire Safety, First Aid, Fish & Wildlife Management, Fishing, Fly Fishing, Forestry, Gardening, Genealogy, Geocaching, Geology, Golf, Graphic Arts, Home Repairs, Horsemanship, Indian Lore, Insect Study, Inventing, Journalism, Landscape Architecture, Law, and Leatherwork.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

First Aid

Postby Scoutmom 231 » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:53 am

As a nurse and a scout mom, I am preparing to guide some of the boys in our group through their first aid merit badge requirements and am wondering if it would be beneficial to go ahead and certify them in BLS. I know the certification isn't required, but a great deal of what they need to know regarding first aid is included in the BLS training.

Any thoughts from those of you who may have previously guided boys through this badge?
Scoutmom 231
Scout

Postby aflmom » Sun Oct 23, 2005 10:26 am

I'm also a nurse and I think BLS certification would be great!

I know you can't add to the requirements, but perhaps those interested in the certification could stay a little longer and obtain it that way.
aflmom
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:29 pm

First Have them read the MB Book Then do the Merit Badge and after they have met those requirements do the BLS material. I believe what you are doing is great BUT keep it separate so If someone does ask a First Aid Merit Badge Question Sometime they do not confuse the two..
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

First Aid MB....First???

Postby riverwalk » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:17 pm

Yes, I would also want to ensure the MB Req are met, and then build from there perhaps. Then there will never be any questions regarding how the Badge was presented, in case anyone wanted to. And some people will pick at anything, haha.

I'll take this opportunity however, to promote official opportunities for the troopies. I would like to think that Scouters (at least the Medically trained ones) are promoting the Emergency Preparedness Award, and the Ready/Prepared Award. Many Youth won't be excited about the First Aid MB, but they need it. A few will always have it spark an interest, and will seek more knowledge. By using these BSA tools, we will see them complete some of the other training suggested, and get some BSA recognition in the process. I agree that providing the suggested training will benefit Troops and other Units, and is a great way to use the skill set held by Trained Scouters. As an Emergency type myself, I always look for a chance to expand or reinforce what they need to know. :wink:

One way to promote interest in gaining the extra training, is to suggest how prepared they would be for Meets or Camporee activities perhaps. This might inspire them to actually want that other stuff, haha. :idea:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Lynda J » Tue Oct 25, 2005 9:49 am

Our Spring Camporee is going to be a "First Responder Training". We are hoping to have people from CDC, Rescue, and other groups. We have the Fire Dept. already committed and Care Flight will come and do a presentation. We also hope to get one of the groups with the search dogs to come and do a presentation.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Awesome!

Postby riverwalk » Tue Oct 25, 2005 10:52 am

I sure hope there's an opportunity for your Scouting neighbors to get involved (hint, hint)? My District is about to have our first Annual First Aid Meet. This isn't a new idea I know, but is over here.

You certainly have some area teams Lynda, that may be willing, if they're asked early. These Rescue groups, like Scouts, may have their calendar set for some time ahead. :wink:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby Mick Scouter » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:22 pm

Good Idea!
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby cballman » Mon Mar 13, 2006 11:57 pm

I might be a little out of line here with this question but what is BLS training?
cballman

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:26 am

Basic Life Support
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby t305spl » Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:17 pm

This topic is a little old but I would love to quickly talk about First Aid Training and the First Aid Merit Badge as it relates to scouting.

First Aid as everyone should know is a skill that needs to be constantly reviewed. The First Aid Merit Badge is an essential badge(no wonder its an Eagle Required).

First Aid is a skill every scout and scouter should know well. It is not like rifle shooting or art, it one day could save a fellow scout or scouters life or even your own. One thing I have noticed alot of is how quickly this badge is given to scouts.(and yes they all deserve it because they all just completed all the requirements) Now I am sure it is taught correctly in many places but it should be taught that way everywhere.

I have sat in 10 different merit badge classes for the First Aid Merit Badge. Only 3 did I feel actually taught the scouts the material.

A scout is a person that should be able to comfortably assess and administer basic first aid. Someone the public could count on to do that.

In my troop I have taken over all of the teaching and reviewing of First Aid.(not the merit badge just Basic First Aid covered in the merit badge and scouting books)

Once a year I hold a First Aid refresher and verbal refresher of CPR.(especially with the new AHA ECC Guidelines) It is a weekend campout and one day is dedicated to these refreshers. The refreshers are fun and educational. At these refreshers the scouts are taught how to properly assess an emergency scene starting with scene safety and BSI(body substance isolation). If the situation given to them is at the level they should be able to handle it.(All the type of scenarios in the book) and if the situation is above their level they are taught how to properly initate the EMS System to get trained help to the scene.

They also have to bring their personal first aid kits for the weekend(which should be on every camp out) and their kits are reviewed along with the troop kit.

Sometimes we have competitions and they can win prizes. We try to make it fun but also make them comfortable to react to an emergency while scouting.(especially since you could be a ways away from help)

Safe Scouting Everyone!
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Wed Jan 10, 2007 2:52 pm

Sounds like your troop is always up to speed on first aid, good job.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby mhjacobson » Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:33 pm

Sounds like your Troop might just be eleigible for the Ready and Prepared Award.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby t305spl » Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:05 pm

I have looked into it several times. I just don't have the time right now to work that in. I love the idea of it though. Maybe I will look it up in a few months and try to start something up in our troop with it.
Matt A.
Eagle Scout
Asst. Scoutmaster
t305spl
Eagle

Related

Postby riverwalk » Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:22 pm

Also keep in mind the Emergency Preparedness Award (for ANYONE in the programs), and the Safe Unit Award.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Return to Merit Badges -- D-L