Typical Projects

Camping, Citizenship in the Community, Citizenship in the Nation, Citizenship in the World, Communications, Cycling, Emergency Preparedness, Environmental Science, Family Life, First Aid, Hiking, Lifesaving, Personal Fitness, Personal Management, and Swimming.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Typical Projects

Postby AndrewMcHorney » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:32 pm

Hello

I am wondering what are typical projects for requirements 4 and 5. Are they the same project. How many hours should a scout be expected to put in on this project?

I am not a merit badge counselor for this merit badge and my son is going to do this merit badge soon.

Andrew
Andrew McHorney
Advancement Chairperson
AndrewMcHorney
Tenderfoot

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:57 pm

requirements 4 and 5 in whivh rank?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mrw » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:00 pm

I am guessing you are talking about the Family Life badge.

I would say different projects would be required. I wouldn't place a time requirement on the project, but pick something which could make a difference. Regular chores wouldn't count.

If your SON has questions, he should read the book and/or consult with the counselor for more information. If you have questions, really you should ask your son and let him go out in search of the answer if doesn't know.

I am just as guilty of trying to help out too much. I have had some hard times letting my kids alone to work out the solutions themselves. We should make them be the ones doing the asking, not us.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Typical Projects For Family Life

Postby AndrewMcHorney » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:14 pm

Hello

The reason for asking here is that my son has learning disabilities and so we do have to help a little. He is thinking of ideas and we want to have a project where we all benefit yet not be a project that is too overwhelming.,
Andrew McHorney
Advancement Chairperson
AndrewMcHorney
Tenderfoot

Postby Lynda J » Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:21 pm

we really need more information. THere are 120+ badges and 7 ranks that all have a requirement 4 or 5.
There are adjustments for boys with disabilities for most things. But we do need more info.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

More Info

Postby AndrewMcHorney » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:26 pm

This is the Family Life Merit badge
Andrew McHorney
Advancement Chairperson
AndrewMcHorney
Tenderfoot

Postby Mrw » Wed Sep 21, 2005 3:38 pm

I know we painted the TV room at home for one of the projects my kids did. It has been a few years though and I don't remember what else my boys did. Planting flowers and veggies maybe?

Have your son talk to the counselor and if need be, quietly listen and take notes for him to make sure he gets all the answers you need to help him decide.

These projects are not needed to be on the scale of Eagle projects, just something to help out at home and show how he can make a good difference to your family.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:04 pm

At this time of year the project can be yard clean-up with leaves falling everywhere.

How about getting a car ready for the winter. Emergency Kit for Snow; Windshield Wipers; Clean windows; windshield washer fluid w/antifreeze; etc
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:20 pm

Storm Doors windows etc.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:20 pm

How about washing windows or taking screens down.
Empting a linen closet, cleaning it and putting stuff back in order.
Going through all the winter weather gear, sorting out the hats, boots, mittens, etc.
cleaning out the refridge.
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Follow Up

Postby AndrewMcHorney » Wed Sep 21, 2005 5:42 pm

Thanks for the excellent ideas. A few ideas that we came up with is putting in a garden for an already landscaped area or removing wallpaper and painting a master bedroom.
Andrew McHorney
Advancement Chairperson
AndrewMcHorney
Tenderfoot

Postby Lynda J » Thu Sep 22, 2005 10:44 am

Kevin cleaned off the carport roof of the leaves and limbs. Had one boy that took all the canned goods out of the cabinet and washed and cleaned them and painted the inside of the cabinet. Then sorted the food and made sure that there was none with expired dates on it. One boy raked the leaves in his yard. Got his younger brother involved and they had a race to see who could fill the most bags. This can be a really fun project for boys to do since it can be done as a family. It simply has to be a project that benefits the family.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby 2boysRscouts » Fri Sep 23, 2005 11:18 am

My son is working on family life right now; so I was taking a look at these ideas and got a big smile on my face. Snow kits, weathering your car for winter, getting mittens out? Great ideas for y'all but not for us down in south Georgia. It reminded me of how diversified these scouts are and how scouting can reach all kids. My favorite thing about scouts, it really has something for everybody!!!
2boysRscouts
Second Class

Return to Merit Badges -- Eagle Required