Chess masters needed for Jamboree

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Chess masters needed for Jamboree

Postby FrankJ » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:49 am

This is a request from a friend for help with the chess merit badge during Jamboree:
Joe Bell wrote:Chess Merit Badge Staff at the 2013 National Scout Jamboree

Imagine having 10 days next summer to play and talk about chess to interested scouts from the 40,000+ participants at the 2013 Jamboree, and having time to visit other activities at the Jamboree. The Jamboree site is near the New River Gorge in West Virginia, and there will be mountain biking, massive rifle and archery ranges, miles of zip lines and slack lines, exhibits and displays, exciting evening shows, and of course new merit badges like Chess, Computer Programming, Game Design, Robotics, Inventing, Welding, Sustainability, Search and Rescue and more.

The Chess merit badge area at the 2013 National Boy Scout Jamboree will cover some, but not all, requirements of the merit badge in sessions of 30 to 90 minutes. (The requirements for Chess merit badge are listed at http://www.scouting.org/sitecore/conten ... CHESS.aspx .)

Chess merit badge staff members must be at least 16 years of age, and registered with BSA. The most important requirement for staff members is the ability to make what we are doing fun for scouts and other staff members.

Staff members for merit badge areas should be registered as a merit badge counselor (Position Code "42" on the BSA adult application) and [must] have current youth protection training. The fees for staff are $425 for those under age 25, and $850 for staff age 25 or more. Scholastic chess players over age 16, and female scholastic and adult chess players are welcome on staff.

To apply for a Jamboree staff position and see information on the 2013 Jamboree, visit https://summit.scouting.org/en/Jamboree ... fault.aspx create an account, make a deposit, select "merit badges" as an area of interest, then contact me by e-mail at: click here. I am the lead for Chess merit badge at the 2013 Jamboree, helped to write the merit badge book, and developed PowerPoint presentations for teaching Chess merit badge available at http://meritbadge.org/wiki/index.php/Chess.

Yours in Scouting,

Joe Bell
Marietta, GA
Last edited by RWSmith on Fri Nov 09, 2012 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: pbpBB formatting; hid e-mail link from spiders.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities