Jamboree Costs

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: Jamboree Costs

Postby Fred Johnson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:55 pm

Billiken wrote:Buckeye Council, Canton, OH
(approximately 250 miles to The Summit.)
http://www.buckeyecouncil.org/Program/A ... %20Service

Leaving Canton the day the Jambo starts.
Returning home the day the Jambo ends.
(No touring.)

$1,400

Ridiculous.
Wow. Assuming $25 to $50 per person per direction for a chartered motor coach, that leaves $450 for other council costs. Another say $70 for trinkets (t-shirts, duffel bags, ....). That's still almost $400 for unknown costs. Wow.
Last edited by Fred Johnson on Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fred Johnson
Life
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 5:45 pm

Re: Jamboree Costs

Postby RWSmith » Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:06 pm

scoutaholic wrote:When I mentioned that to the council Jambo chairman in GSLC, his response was something like, "I don't care about those kids who can't afford it. We have always done it this way, and have always filled our contingent."

Y'all know I almost never say this, but, here it is... THAT PERSON NEEDS TO BE PERMANENTLY BANNED FROM SCOUTING! PERIOD.

S/he is just plain, flat-out wrong... in so many ways, on so many levels. (It's sad, but true... some old dogs can't be taught new tricks. And I suspect, this is one.)
RWSmith
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:45 am
Location: Mecklenburg County Council

Re: Jamboree Costs

Postby ronin718 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:05 pm

Okay, gang, why are we squawking about the cost? We've been paying these prices for the last how many jambos? National is actually providing more for this Jambo and they didn't bump the price.

Councils are still going to hit the Jambo crews hard to help pay for council camps like they did in the past, just call it the Golden Goose principle. They still have to do shakedowns (camping, not wallet), provide uniform items (patches, hats, neckerchiefs, etc), arrange transport, and all the other things that go with Jambo. The new site is LESS convenient with regards to DC, so there are likely higher costs for the bus transportation. All of these things lend to higher costs, not lower costs.

However, it is disappointing that councils are choosing to still gouge the Jambo attendees when there is less for the contingents to provide gear-wise.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:44 pm
Location: National Capital Area Council - MD/DC/VA

Re: Jamboree Costs

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Nov 01, 2011 3:09 pm

RWSmith wrote:
wagionvigil wrote:Right now there are 10 gators for program support. Like moving equipment etc. Not to haul people around.

Now, that's something I've always wanted to see!!!

I mean, heck... I've seen pack horses, mules... even camels!!!

BUT, NEVER HAVE I SEEN A "PACK GATOR"! -- Is there a badge for that?! :mrgreen:


Yep..Reptiles and Amphibian Study #8...Keep a Pack Gator for 30 days. :lol: :lol:
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: New Birth of Freedom Council Carlisle PA

Re: Jamboree Costs

Postby scoutaholic » Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:22 am

RWSmith wrote:
scoutaholic wrote:When I mentioned that to the council Jambo chairman in GSLC, his response was something like, "I don't care about those kids who can't afford it. We have always done it this way, and have always filled our contingent."

Y'all know I almost never say this, but, here it is... THAT PERSON NEEDS TO BE PERMANENTLY BANNED FROM SCOUTING! PERIOD.

S/he is just plain, flat-out wrong... in so many ways, on so many levels. (It's sad, but true... some old dogs can't be taught new tricks. And I suspect, this is one.)

I tend to agree with RW on this one, however, who is going to run the day-to-day council operations if we fire the professional staff?
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:56 am
Location: Great Salt Lake Council - Utah

Re: Jamboree Costs

Postby ronin718 » Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:31 am

scoutaholic wrote:
RWSmith wrote:
scoutaholic wrote:When I mentioned that to the council Jambo chairman in GSLC, his response was something like, "I don't care about those kids who can't afford it. We have always done it this way, and have always filled our contingent."

Y'all know I almost never say this, but, here it is... THAT PERSON NEEDS TO BE PERMANENTLY BANNED FROM SCOUTING! PERIOD.

S/he is just plain, flat-out wrong... in so many ways, on so many levels. (It's sad, but true... some old dogs can't be taught new tricks. And I suspect, this is one.)

I tend to agree with RW on this one, however, who is going to run the day-to-day council operations if we fire the professional staff?

If they offer to pay me something approaching six-figures like the reports in the DesNews say GSLC and UNPC are paying the pro staff, I'll take the job. :D :P :lol:
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:44 pm
Location: National Capital Area Council - MD/DC/VA

Re: Jamboree Costs

Postby scoutaholic » Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:16 am

ronin718 wrote:...
If they offer to pay me something approaching six-figures like the reports in the DesNews say GSLC and UNPC are paying the pro staff, I'll take the job. :D :P :lol:

A bit off topic, but I'm going to respond anyway.

GSLC was paying Paul Moore too much, (although according to the same Deseret News article he was not the highest paid executive in similar sized councils. The guy in Atlanta made 3 times Pauls salary in the year they were reporting.) In hind-site, I suspect the board who hired him and set his salary regrets that decision. His salary was not the only problem with his administration. When we finally got rid of him, the council was nearly bankrupt. The new guy is making significantly less (although I don't know the number), and the council is recovering from it's previous financial problems.

The guy who made the stupid comment was not the guy making 6 figures. I suspect he is one of the 23 that the council reports are making more than 50k. I think several of our DEs are worth 50k+.

If you are looking for a scout job that pays well, try the National office. Last report I saw says they have 4 guys making 7 figures.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:56 am
Location: Great Salt Lake Council - Utah

Re: Jamboree Costs

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sat Apr 21, 2012 4:44 pm

scoutaholic wrote:
cdwscout wrote:How much are y'all's councils charging to go to 2013 Jambo? Our council is charging roughly $2,500 (including the $850 fee from national) to go (with a tour of DC). When I originally heard about it, I was hoping to go, but that is WAY out of my price range.

Thanks,
cdwscout



Great Salt Lake Council is charging $3000 - includes Jambo and tour of NY, Philadelphia, Gettysburg, DC & other unspecified locations.
Utah National Parks Council has 4 options:
$2295 - Jambo and pre-tour of Niagra Falls, Philadelphia, Gettysburg, Baltimore, Washington DC, and LDS church history sites in NY & PA.
$2495 - Jambo and post-tour of Washington DC, Gettysburg, Hershey, and LDS church history sites in NY, PA, & OH
$2065 - Jambo and short tour of DC
$2295 - Venturing Jambo and pre-tour as above
Trapper Trails Council is charging $2650 - no info online about what that pays for.


Buckskin Council - as little as 0 miles (SBR is within the borders of Buckskin Council) - $1250 which includes a 2 day tour of Washington D.C.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 583
Joined: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:17 am
Location: Buckskin Council - WV

Re: Jamboree Costs

Postby ronin718 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:31 am

WVBeaver05 wrote:Buckskin Council - as little as 0 miles (SBR is within the borders of Buckskin Council) - $1250 which includes a 2 day tour of Washington D.C.


Sounds like NCAC when Jambo was at The Hill. NSJ 2010 cost each participant $1350, and there was no two-day tour. The number I'm hearing for 2013 is $1250. I guess that's to cover the $4+ a gallon cost for gas to get to SBR.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle
 
Posts: 371
Joined: Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:44 pm
Location: National Capital Area Council - MD/DC/VA

Previous

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests