Committee Meetings

Administering the troop, solving problems, building on success, and using key program elements like the Patrol Method.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Committee Meetings

Postby Mrw » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:06 am

So as a general question, and in response to some discussions going on in our troop, when do you have committee meetings?

Are they during troop meetings, on a different night, during PLC meetings, etc.

Who is expected to attend on a regular basis? Do you have absentee committee members who are on the roster but never show? Do the SM and/or ASMs attend the meeting or just stick their head in for a summary at the end?

How often does the committee meet?

Thanks for input!
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Re: Committee Meetings

Postby rkpeck » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:30 am

Our committee meetings are not at the same time as the troop meeting. We meet once a month, usually the first week of the month. They've traditionally been on Tuesday evenings, but I've begun attempting to move the meeting between Tuesday and Wednesday evenings (every other month) to try and accomodate more committee members with other committments. All registered Scouters are welcome to attend. Those in committee leadership roles are strongly encouraged to attend. No absentee committee members, unless work occasionally prevents their attendance.

The SM does attend and provides a monthly report of the troop's activities. All ASMs are welcome to attend; many do attend if their time committements allow.

The committee meetings do not occur at the same time as PLC. The current SPL has an open invitation to attend committee meetings, although the subject matter is perhaps a bit dry for the SPL, I believe it's important to allow the scout the opportunity to see what's going on behind the scenes.

Roger
Committee Chair
rkpeck
Second Class

Postby FrankJ » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:29 am

Our committee meets once a third Tues of the month. Troop meetings are Mondays. Committee members are expected to attend, but about half show up. SM attends the full meeting. But the ones that don't keep the CC advised of their issues. Anybody can come, if they come too often--they end up on the committee. Although I am an ASM, I come regularly because I coordinate high adventure & equipment. Most of the decisions are by consensus, but it is really not a democracy. We have always been fortunate that the SM & CC have a shared vision.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:09 pm

Our Troop meets every Tuesday night (except this winter . . . we do not have meetings if the schools are closed because of snow and boy have we had snow!!). The committee meets the first Wednesday of the month. Our SM gives a monthly report (given 10 min. but usually lasts 30) and most ASM's attend (we have 5). SPL has an open invitation, but homework usually prevents attendence. Typically, about 15 people are there. We NEVER have a problem with recruiting CM's. The parents have been VERY supportive in the 20 yrs. I've been associated with the Troop.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby Billiken » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:26 pm

Our Troop Committee meets on Sunday afternoons at 4:00 p.m.
Usually the first Sunday of Sep, Nov, Jan, Mar, May.
(With modifications for holidays.)
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby PhilTully » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:00 pm

Our committee meetings and PLC meetings are the same night (first Tuesday of the month) with PLC meeting starting at 7, and the Committee meeting right after that. This allows quick follow-up at committee if anything from the PLC needs committee attention. This allows the youth leadership to interact with the committee in a less formal setting than a BOR.
Scoutmaster, Troop 65 Cedar Grove NJ
'in media stat virtus'
Virtue's in the middle
PhilTully
Scout

Postby Fibonacci » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:19 pm

Our PLC and Troop Committee meet at the same time on the last Monday of the month. The SM and the SPL each give a report to the Committee at the end of the Comm Mtng since the adult meeting always last longer than the youth meeting.
Fibonacci
Life

Postby fritz1255 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:46 am

We have ours once a month, right before the first Troop meeting of the month. We do the two the same night to save gas and time - I personally am not a huge fan of meetings where folks need to set aside a special night and make a special trip.
fritz1255
Life

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:28 am

fritz1255 wrote:We have ours once a month, right before the first Troop meeting of the month. We do the two the same night to save gas and time - I personally am not a huge fan of meetings where folks need to set aside a special night and make a special trip.

Like Roundtables???
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:57 am

Roundtables include a separate group of people. I agree with fritz. When you already have to attend or deliver your son to a troop meeting, why not hold a committee meeting? Roundtables include scouters from troops that meet throughout the week, and are much larger than most troops so they need a different venue. They are also for SMs who need to be at their own troop meetings. Our roundtable is the first Thursday. Most troops in our district meet Sunday through Wednesday.

My troop has its committee meetings on the first Monday, when the PLC meets.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Return to Troop Issues