Registered Adults for Outings

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Registered Adults for Outings

Postby FieldSports » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:20 pm

How many of you have ALL ADULTS registered (who are going) when you take the youth camping or any other over night activities?
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
2005 National Jamboree Staff - Action Center A Trapshooting
2010 National Jamboree Troop 826
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
"Turning Boys into Men, One Scout at a Time"
FieldSports
Life

Re: Registered Adults for Outings

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:25 pm

Usually. I had 8 of 9 at Summer Camp. Sometimes it 3 of 5 or 6. gotta take some new Dads out and hook 'em in.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby alex gregory » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:25 pm

FieldSports wrote:How many of you have ALL ADULTS registered (who are going) when you take the youth camping or any other over night activities?

Yeah I read that "Ask Andy" comment too and had a good laugh.

You got bait the hook first, and them reel that fish into YP and Fast-Track.

Great way to lose a new scout is tell Dad he can't go on the first campout because he's not registered.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby Bill Pitcher » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:57 am

We have our annual canoe trip the second weekend in September. It is a MANDATORY parent/boy trip (used to be father/boy) for every Scout that goes. We get about 90% troop participation! The Scout spends a great weekend with parent (or guardian), the adults do ALL of the cooking, and the scout helps the adult set up the tents. And the troop gets parents who become familiar with the troop gear, see everyone sharing "the load," and we REEL 'EM as leaders or committee members. The boys 'just have fun" on this one. Works every time!!!
(Some parents can't pass the swimming requirement or handle the canoe . . . so we have plenty of adult leaders and committee members whose sons are no longer in the troop, who will sit in the canoe with the boy). It is a trip that about 1/2 of the adults that go atren't registered. If they all became registered, charter time would beome a nightmare!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby Chief J » Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:11 am

After ensuring the proper ratios of trained registered adults, we let any number of parents attend the trips.

To date, we have not had any problems with parents attending and we all have a good time. however, we do keep a mindful eye on the parents and we also have an unofficial rule that a parent is not allowed to correct/discipline or whatever you want to call it their child during the weekend. If the Scout acts up, the SM or ASm other than the Scouts parent will handle the discussion sbout appropriate behavior. when I was ASM, I watched my ASM's son and my ASM watched my son.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby FieldSports » Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:48 pm

Now for the Paul Harvey moment:

The rest of the story. Grandpa comes on a camping trip with the unit. Nice guy, very helpful. No problems.

Six months later, the Commish of the unit gets a call from a very concerned parent in the unit. Internet search finds that this Grandpa is a registered sex offender. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Again, nothing inappropriate happen with any youth. Appropriate action is taken with authorities to insure Grandpa never comes around again.

Dodged a potential bullet. $10 for registration and background check (cheap insurance policy). NOW, how many of you register Any Adult who goes camping or any over night activity with you?
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
FieldSports
Life

Postby alex gregory » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:18 pm

Wow, that is a Paul Harvey momment.

Good thing you had all the trained and registered leaders on hand to make sure nothing happened. Good thing Grandpa was never in a position to be alone with a child. Hey, what do you know - YP training and policies actually work!

The situation you describe is exactly why a well run troop can have an outing that includes an adult that is not first registered. Consider also that not every fiend has conveniently given you a public record. Registration is not a panacea, it is only one tool you have to keep kids safe.

I have to ask, did grandson's parents/guardians know about Grandpa? If they did and said nothng that is pretty scary.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:38 pm

While the background check that goes with registered will catch the glaringly obvious offenders, it will not catch the ones flying under the radar :x

More important is having the adult trained & follow the youth protection rules. Preventing the opportunity is really important. Also having an environment that the youth know what to do & can report the bad apples is key.

Parental involvement is good for the youth & good for the program. To me, having them all trained is more important than registered. Although once an adult is actively involve they should be registered.

I am probably preaching to the choir here.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby FieldSports » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:55 pm

Yes, mom know Grandpa's background. Yes, very scary to hear it was 20 years ago, blah...blah...blah....

Yes, thank goodness ALL the leaders were YPT and followed the rules.

Scouts should start finger printing leaders. My Girl Scout council and sports team require it.
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
FieldSports
Life

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:14 am

If fingerprinting only showed past activity relating to child abuse, maybe. But it doesn't. Everything is visible to the requester. (At least in our state.) It isn't anyone's business that Mr. Jones was arrested when he was 19 for an open container, Mr. Smith has a gun violation in his record, Mr. Johnson is a person of interest, Mr. Nguyen is a foreign national, Mr. Green has TS clearances, Mr. White was a streaker in college, etc. Requiring fingerprints does little except lose leaders for BSA. It's a complete invasion of privacy.

The BEST protections are parental involvement and YPT. If YPT is followed strictly and there are plenty of adults around, those with nefarious intents will look for easier targets.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:34 am

When BSA runs a background check, they are looking at more than just sex offenders. Other things such as drugs & DUIs will raise a red flag. Unexplained arrests can also be an issue. BSA is not part of the government: You are not innocent until proven guilty. It part of setting a standard.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby FieldSports » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:45 pm

Not sure the criteria used by GSA or sports teams for exclusion. I sure hope BSA has the same or similar rules. Dont be fooled into thinking BSA is not already doing background checks that will show all the convictions. You have to agree to it (check the current adult application). However, they are missing the boat. Fingerprinting allows for a more through FBI, state, etc check to rule out the felons, perverts, etc. Right now all you have to do is provide a false name and matching false SS number, then, some of these people will not be discovered. Remember these are convicted felons, not honest folks.

I am assuming that information from the current background check is kept confidential and only becomes an issue if one of the BSA rules is tripped. I am just advocating a better and more reliable system (finger prints).
Advisor and Coach
Owl - Whooo R U?
Wood Badge SM WE4-33-08
Silver Beaver
FieldSports
Life

Postby Billiken » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:52 pm

Most of the attending parents (usually dads) are registered.

However at summer camp we a two dads stay a couple of nights each.
Neither is registered (but had a class III medical form completed).

I tell my Scouts' parents:
If your son is present, you too can attend any event, any time, any place.
(You may need to show the requisite BSA medical form, though.)

Actually had a dad (MC, but not OA member) watch his son's OA Ordeal induction this past summer.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:53 pm

I taught 35 years and just had to do a complete background check Prints etc to play in the pit orchestra at a local high school. cost me 60.00 for everything and they are paying me 200.00 go figure. I would like BSA to require a State Criminal check a child abuse check and an FBI Fingerprint check. On the Child abuse check you are required to list everyone you have lived with sicxe 1975.
If we loose leaders I guess they are hiding something. :idea:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Quailman » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:20 pm

Let's say you take the cautious approach and require parents to register (which triggers a background check) before they can attend a campout. What's the waiting period, and do the powers that be notify the troop when an adult passes muster? Would I have to tell parents, "Sorry, we passed the cutoff in February for you to register so you could attend the June campout with us."?
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby riverwalk » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:14 pm

No problem on the grandpa example, and it probably happens sometimes. The fact that leadership had enough trained people and followed policies was enough. A registered offender isn't likely to be a big problem anyway, as compared to one that won't register. If we just get leaders trained AND to follow policy, all should go well. Of course it helps if the youth act properly too, haha.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:25 am

wagionvigil wrote:I taught 35 years and just had to do a complete background check Prints etc to play in the pit orchestra at a local high school. cost me 60.00 for everything and they are paying me 200.00 go figure. I would like BSA to require a State Criminal check a child abuse check and an FBI Fingerprint check. On the Child abuse check you are required to list everyone you have lived with sicxe 1975.
If we loose leaders I guess they are hiding something. :idea:

Or they value their privacy. Some things are just nobody's business.

And remember, no one is liable for misuse, whether intentional or accidental. I'd be a lot more apt to submit to something like this is someone was financially liable for the misuse of the information.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby fritz1255 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:04 am

We do not require all parents going on outings to be registered, nor do we intend to. There are enough rules in this organization without adding ones of our own.

On the "grandpa" situation, we ran into a similar one several years ago. Each state has a "Megan's Law" list of registered sex offenders, usually available on the State Police website. You can look up ones who live in your area by zipcode. The whole intent of the law is to let people with children know who the sex offenders are in their area. Any parent should do a check of their area to see if they have any offenders living near them. You may be very surprised at who turns up on the list; I know we were.

What bothers me more than a little is that if the estimates on incidence of child abuse are to be believed, there are many more offenders out there who have never been arrested, and who you will never see on any list. Always follow two-deep leadership, and be vigilant.
fritz1255
Life

Postby Billiken » Fri Oct 03, 2008 3:51 pm

fritz1255 wrote:Always follow two-deep leadership, and be vigilant.

Always
Always
Always
Always
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun