A fear or water

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

A fear or water

Postby ksphotoscout » Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:18 pm

I'm working on my first class merit badge. I have everything done except the aquatics requirements. The thing is I have an abnormal fear of water, and I can't even think about swimming in a lake to do life saving. I want to be an eagle, but I don't know how I can get past the aquatics. I have tried doing it, but then I get all messed up mentally, and I just give up. What should I do?
ksphotoscout
Second Class

Re: A fear or water

Postby Mrw » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:09 pm

Do you have a swimming pool nearby? Some people find a pool much less intimidating since they can see the bottom or grab onto the side.

If you are truly motivated to work through your fear, you should be able get through the first class swim test with effort. Try slowly getting comfortable with dipping your feet into the pool until you can work up the courage to get in holding the wall and continue to add a little more each time until you can get more comfortable in the water.

Once you can get into the pool, sign up for swimming lessons.

Once you can swim well enough for the first class requirements, if you really hate swimming, you can call it quits and do hiking or cycling for the active merit badge for Eagle.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby ksphotoscout » Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:28 pm

I think i will try that. Its really embarrassing when you back out of the wake boarding, snorkeling, and other aquatic activities just because you have a fear of water. I want to go eagle, so I guess I muscle through it or maybe overcome it...
ksphotoscout
Second Class

Postby Mrw » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:04 pm

That is the attitude! You are strong enough to conquer this if you are strong enough to want to earn Eagle.
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby ksphotoscout » Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:06 pm

Thanks!
ksphotoscout
Second Class

Postby Ursus Snorous Roarus » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:00 pm

Work to overcome your fear.... it may literally save your life some day. I could list many famous people that all had great things going in their lives except they failed to ever learn how to swim and later drowned.
If you get to the point of snorkeling, you will see a world open up in front of you that movies can't do justice to. Set your goals, and work to them. Don't work around them and take the easy way out; you'll surprise yourself about how well you can do!
Ursus Snorous Roarus
Star

Postby ksphotoscout » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:02 pm

That's true. Some times in order to achieve your goals, you have to overcome your fears.
ksphotoscout
Second Class

Postby Billiken » Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:25 pm

I admire you for posting/asking for help.

Approach your troop leaders too.

Remember, swimming is the only sport that can save your life.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby kwildman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:43 am

My oldest son sat on second class for the first two years because of swimming. He is afraid of the water too, especially where he cant see the bottom. I worked with him a lot a the pools and he did better. He failed his swimmer test first time at summer camp this year but the youth staff at the waterfront worked with him everyday and really helped his confidence. He passed the swimmer test before camp was over. He is also expressed an interest in taking more swimming lessons to get better.

Keep trying and dont be afraid to ask for help!
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:44 am

If you bath in a tube or take a shower you can learn to swim. Water is water. This is coming from the Former Aquatics Director in me. :lol:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:14 am

Keep at it. Remember:

A Scout is Brave

A Scout can face danger even if he is afraid.

You said you are working on 1st Class. Are you a 2nd class? If so, you had to have done the swimming requirements.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Chief J » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:41 am

I agree with all of the above posts. You have the capability to overcome this fear. I also agree if the lake or open water freaks you out get to a local pool. signup for swim lessons at the Y, etc.

I think you will find the pool less intimidating than open water, and once you are comfortable in the pool you can easily move to open water.

Best Wishes in your endeavors to overcome this fear.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:48 am

I went through what you are going through. There is a lot of people out there that are willing to help you. Sign up for classes if you can and swim were you can stand up at anytime or grab the wall. Soon enough you will be able to swim the 100 yards, it took me a while but I never gave up. Summer camp staff are great people and they will help you to. I wish you the best of luck and keep us updated on how you are doing.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby ksphotoscout » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:13 pm

To answer some questions, yes, I have got some of the swimming requirements done. It was awful though. A pool is somewhat OK because you know whats in it, but in a lake you don't know......I guess you just have to do it to really find out! Sometimes when things happen to you when your younger like sinking in the water, there is sometimes a fear that some with you when your older feeling like it will happen again. I can agree that it can help you save a life, and also that water is water. My mom wants me to get 1st Class before school starts or I can't use the computer or video games all school year, so If I want those, I better just suck it up!
ksphotoscout
Second Class

Postby ksphotoscout » Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:59 pm

I feel so great!
I asked a man in my troop to see if he could help me at the lake so I could pass of the lifesaving requirement for 1st class and I passed it off!
Its was a bit scary, but it got easier and easier and there was no pressure to get it right the first time..
Well if i can go int the lake, a must be able to go in a pool...
I was very exited to get first class now and be able to meet my fear!
ksphotoscout
Second Class

Postby kwildman » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:15 pm

congrats!
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:34 pm

Yay!!!!!!

Here is a big pat on the back for you. You deserve it. :D
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:47 pm

Knew You Could Do IT :!: :!: :!: :!: :)
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby alex gregory » Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:18 pm

ksphotoscout wrote:I feel so great!
Its was a bit scary, but it got easier and easier and there was no pressure to get it right the first time..

Awesome! You are BRAVE!

Remember that you can satisify ALL swimming and lifesaving MB requirements in a swimming pool. Keep at it over the winter (it's too cold, wet and nasty to swim outdoors in the Pacific NW now anyway). I urge you to work on the swimming MB at your local indoor pool this winter, and build up confidence for next summer. You can crank out the swimming MB in one or two Saturdays at the pool. I bet that if you keep at it over the winter and try and swim at least once a month you'll be ready for canoeing, small boat sailing, rowing, and lifesaving next summer.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby Ursus Snorous Roarus » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:09 pm

Congrats, son. You have taken a great step in life. Face your fears head on and they will crumble in front of you.
Good job!
Ursus Snorous Roarus
Star

Next

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms