Bataan Death March?

Everything done outdoors! Experiences, ideas, tips, and places to go! Hiking and geocaching; backpacking and camping; cold-weather and snow camping, too!

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Bataan Death March?

Postby LSR » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:43 pm

For the past several years, I'm either getting laid off, my father in law's having surgery or some other event was on the horizon. This year, I'm going!

http://www.bataanmarch.com/

Anyone ever do this? Take a Scout unit?
LSR
Life

Postby Quailman » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:34 am

That website wrote:The GREEN route is the full 26.2-mile Bataan Memorial Death March. Awards are presented to the top two finishers in each category. Those marching the 26.2 miles will be able to experience, in part, what Soldiers endured during their long forced trek through the Philippines.

Does that mean if you stumble along the way and can't continue that you will be summarily executed? :shock:

Except for that, it sounds like fun. Wish I could make it.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby scouter01 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:31 pm

besides for the horrible grpahics on the site, seems nice/ what ever word is approprite here.

Kind of like the march of the living.
scouter01
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:42 pm

Looks pretty sweet accually.....*reminices* reminds me of philmont :cry: i wanna go back!
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby fin24000 » Sat Feb 09, 2008 2:41 am

May have to look into that for next year....
Troop guide
Former: Scribe, Troop guide, Patrol leader, Ast. patrol leader and Troop Webmaster.
Life Scout
OA Ordeal member
SHAC NYLT 073 Staff
SHAC NYLT 063
Philmont NAYLE 2007 session 2

sig updated 5/19/08
fin24000
Star

March

Postby riverwalk » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:17 pm

I'm glad it's conducted in honor of the real event.
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby kimberbakos » Sat Feb 09, 2008 3:07 pm

I am so happy to see that those who died at Bataan are remembered this way. My great-uncle, the brother of two Eagle Scouts, died at Bataan. I know my grandfather would be pleased to see that others are honoring the sacrifice that his brother made.
Xiamenmom
Mom to one Scout
MB counselor/Activities chair
kimberbakos
First Class

Re: Bataan Death March?

Postby Quailman » Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:33 pm

LSR wrote:This year, I'm going!

So, did you make it?
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby LSR » Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:40 pm

Quailman wrote:

So, did you make it?

Nope, but at least this time it was for a happy reason! I'm going to Philmont in July for training and two trips were in neither the budget nor time off from the job.
LSR
Life

Postby pipestone1991 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 10:09 am

LSR wrote:
Quailman wrote:

So, did you make it?

Nope, but at least this time it was for a happy reason! I'm going to Philmont in July for training and two trips were in neither the budget nor time off from the job.

Oh well, always next year! :o Do you plan on doing this in the future?
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby LSR » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:45 pm

Now here's some thread resurrection! I got back from my 3rd Bataan March a few weeks ago. Each time is an amazing experience (Full disclosure: I'm 50 & about 30 lbs over what would be my max allowable weight were I still on active duty.) I do the civilian light catagory and finish anywhere from 10:06 to 11:55. I have no trouble finding my car in the parking lot! (although I'm not the last to cross.) I did last year in my Scout uniform (The water station at mile 12 or so is manned by a local Troop. They were a welcome sight!)

-Pretty hard to do as a Scout event. You could camp at the area reserved for camping on post, but the bathrooms/showers are not seperated by age. The base gym is also open for marchers-same problem. I almost had a GSS induced heart attack when I was taking a shower and a bunch of High School JROTC boys came in. I can't speak about the women's locker room for Venturers, but the men's locker room is open bay showers.

-The race itself is superbly organized and a true delight. The people are uniformly friendly & helpful. The course is challenging, to put it mildly. The best part is you can pick your pain level. 26 miles running with a 35 pound ruck? Sure! Likewise you can hike it with a camelback as I did. (The winning time in military heavy was a tad over 4 hours-holy cow!) There's also a 14 mile march.

-It's hard to describe just how humbling the march is. There are amputees from Walter Reed there who redifine tough. I walked behind two older women who between them had lost two sons with two still serving after being wounded. There a 90+ year old Bataan survivor who does the 1st 5 miles each year.
LSR
Life

Return to Camping, Hiking, and Outdoor Fun