Order of the arrow elections

This is for OA members and to ask questions about the OA. Under no Circumstance is restricted information to be posted on this forum. If it is the forum will be deleted and the offender banned from the Group.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Order of the arrow elections

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:52 am

This is the time of year to hold your troop elections for the Order of Arrow.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby pipestone1991 » Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:33 pm

Indeed! Gotta remind the troop.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:32 pm

We had our troop's election back in Jan. before the cross overs started coming. We found that is better for since the cross overs do not really know the troop, but still get to vote if they are members when the elections are held.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ccjj » Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:10 am

After trying for many years to get a district election team into our troop, we finally had the council Lodge Advisor and the Vice Chief of Chapters come into our troops meeting to have elections. We had 2 boys elected and 1 adult selected. We plan on attending the spring conclave which will be in May.

ccjj
ccjj
Star

Postby Chief J » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:22 pm

We held our election a couple of weeks ago, had eight scouts elected of 10 eligible.

In the past, we have held elections both before and after the crossovers. We find the election process goes much smoother if we hold them before the Webelos crossover.

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:51 pm

ANother reason crossovers should be at the Beginning of "next" School year :evil: :twisted: :lol:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Mrw » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:47 pm

wagionvigil wrote:ANother reason crossovers should be at the Beginning of "next" School year :evil: :twisted: :lol:

Yeah, but I have yet to ask a kid what he thinks about this that has not said that you would lose a whole bunch more boys by then.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Mar 10, 2008 3:56 pm

It was this way at one time and the boys adapted better
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:13 pm

What would be a reason NOT to elect someone to the OA? I have a solid Star scout who came to me from another troop who did not get elected in his previous troop and it almost caused him to quit.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:24 pm

Leaders! For SOme reason they did not like the kid. See it all the time It is sad. I have so many stories I could tell you.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:08 am

wagionvigil wrote:It was this way at one time and the boys adapted better

At one time, not today.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:17 am

It worked better. Having workedn through both ways.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:46 am

The problem in this election process to me is that the OA can be viewed as elitist vice an elite group. If I scout is eligible, let him in.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:49 am

There is no reason that everyone eligible is not elected unless the other youth just do not like him. I have also seen members of the Order in a troop keep a boy out because they believe he will not be a good member.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Chief J » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:39 am

In my Troop, I have scouts who are eligible every year (meet the First Class and camping requirements), that unless they change their attitudes in camp will never be elected by the Youth of the Troop.

These are the one or two scouts who everytime there is work to be done disappear, are busy elsewhere, or stand around with their hands in their pocket.

Because of their actions, the Troop members will not vot these one or two scouts in.

Yes, as leaders, we counsel them on their actions, and after every tapout reinforce the reason their peers were elected and they were not, and it just hasn't sunk in.

Regards,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:49 am

Thats why it is a Boy Led Program. Adults wuld fold and put everyone in. The Boys Know better. :)
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:12 am

I have no problem with that except when the boys become spiteful vs fair. Can the Leaders override the vote? Some of those elected can't hold a candle to this scout. Can an OA member have his membership revoked by his peers? Thanks for the info.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Billiken » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:14 am

Our troop has 3 (and only 3) qualified and well-deserving Scouts who would be excellent OA members.

Our troop has never participated (at least in the last 15 years) in the OA.

Refresh my memory, if we have an election, and all 3 of the Scouts are on the ballot, what percentage of the vote does each need for election?

THANKS
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:20 am

Your Lodge should send out an election Team.
Elections should be run by a Unit Elections team from the Lodge or Chapter. At least 50% of the troop's active members must be present for there to be an election. Each unit may hold ONE election a year. The unit leader will provide the team with a list of all youth who meet the eligibility requirements including attitude and participation (this is part of the "approval by the Scoutmaster" eligibility requirement listed above). All Scouts under the age of 18 have a vote. Since the majority of unit members are not OA members, the OA is unique in that its membership is controlled by non-members.

All eligible youths who receive votes from at least 50% of those turned in are elected. If no one is elected a second vote may be held immediately, and the result of this vote is final.

A voter may list on his ballot any combination of names, including all eligible candidates who he believes are worthy to become members of the Order of the Arrow.

Several points should be stressed by the Unit Elections team:

Select the candidates who, in your opinion, have set the best examples of brotherhood, cheerfulness, and service.
Vote only for those who you believe will continue in unselfish service to the troop.
If you feel no one is worthy, turn in a blank ballot.
If you are new in the unit and do not know the candidates well enough to vote wisely, you may abstain by not turning in a ballot at all. This will not affect the final result.
Youths eligible for election also vote, and they may vote for themselves if they feel they are worthy.
After the voting is finished, the Unit Election team counts the number of ballots turned in, figures out the minimum number of votes needed to be elected (half of an even number of ballots, if the number of ballots turned in was odd, then add 1, then divide by 2). The votes are counted in private with the team and the unit leader or his designee to determine who has been elected. All votes count equally. If at least one has been elected, this vote is final. If no one is elected, the team may announce that a second election will be held. At no time is any information as to the number of votes any candidate received revealed.

Adults in troops are selected by the Troop Committee, who may recommend one adult a year as a candidate for membership, if the troop holds an election and at least one youth is elected.

The unit leader has the option of announcing those elected, or waiting until they can be called out in a public ceremony.

After election, a youth or adult remains a candidate until the
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:32 am

Our troop just did there's last week.
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Next

Return to Order of The Arrow