2008 Rank Requirement Changes Info

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

2008 Rank Requirement Changes Info

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:15 pm

BSA has added the new rank requirements to their Boy Scout Advancements page. They give some info on what to do to meet the requirements also, not just a listing of the requirements.

http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/resou ... anges.html

.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle
 
Posts: 409
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:17 am
Location: Des Plaines Valley

Postby bluenote » Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:37 pm

Thanks for the info link!
Assistant Scoutmaster of Troop 123
Committee Chairman of Crew 428
Water & Woods Service Area,
Michigan Crossroads Council
bluenote
Second Class
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:17 am
Location: Michigan

Postby spl08 » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:20 pm

yes thank you for the link!

so does this mean my little brother will have to fulfill these new requirements before he becomes a Tenderfoot even though he joined before they were but into being?
Eagle Scout-2006
NYLT grad-2005
former SPL, ASPL, Troop Guide, PL

Show me a poorly uniformed troop and I'll show you a poorly uniformed leader- Sir Robert Baden Powell
spl08
Life
 
Posts: 151
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:30 pm
Location: Sioux Council

Postby PaulSWolf » Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:51 pm

I've updated the US Scouting Service Project pages with ALL of the changes (Rank, Merit Badge, and other) in Boy Scout Requirements 2008

The details can be found at http://usscouts.org/advance/changes/advchanges08.asp

Changes to ranks:
Tenderfoot, Second Class, & First Class
Eagle - Not listed on the cover, but in Req. 4, 3 positions were added for Venturing (Quartermaster, Historian, & Guide.)

Venturing Quartermaster, Historian, & Guide were NOT added to Star Req. 5 - probably an editorial error. Conversely, Varsity Team Historian IS and has been previously) listed in Star requirement 5, but is still not in Eagle requirement 4, even though Troop Historian and Crew Historian are listed.

Also, I found a change in Requirement 2 that was actually made in 2005, but not previously noticed (adding the "references" requirement).

Alt Req. for Eagle - They finally deleted this: "The candidate must complete as many of the requirements of the required merit badges as his ability permits."

Merit Badges - Backpacking (minor), First Aid, Hiking (minor), Metalwork, Sculpture, Water Sports (REPLACED Waterskiing), and Wilderness Survival

The changes to Graphic Arts that appeared in the 2006 Graphic Arts pamphlet are again not listed in the book.

Other:
Leave No Trace Achievement Award (Renamed from "Awareness" award)

The listing of the most recent edition of the merit badge pamphlets on the inside back cover has this error:
Horsemanship - 2004 should say 2003

The USSSP also has a complete set of worksheets that are up to date, at: http://usscouts.org/mb/worksheets/list.asp
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:17 pm
Location: Lake Erie Council , Cleveland, Ohio

Postby WeeWillie » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:54 pm

If a Scout can continue working on his next rank under the old requirements and continue on with the new requirements
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle
 
Posts: 450
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 11:40 pm
Location: Sierra Vista, AZ

Postby PaulSWolf » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:57 pm

Weewillie wrote:
If a Scout can continue working on his next rank under the old requirements and continue on with the new requirements


Your comment was a bit unclear. If you meant, "Can a Scout continue working on his next rank under the old requirements?", the answer is NO. If you meant, "Can a Scout continue working on his next rank using what he did so far under the old requirements, and finish using the new requirements?", the answer is YES. Anything he did so far should count, since the only real substantial changes were the new Youth Protection requirements. Everything else was just just editorial.

Requirements changes for RANKS are immediate. A Scout wishing to advance to the next rank today must meet the current requirements, even if they've been working on the old ones. So A Scout today wishing to advance to Tenderfoot, Second Class, or First Class MUST meet the new Youth Protection requirements for those ranks.

Requirements changes for MERIT BADGES work differently. A Scout STARTING a merit badge must use the current requirements. Scouts FINISHING a merit badge they started using the old requirements can finish with those requirements.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor
 
Posts: 593
Joined: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:17 pm
Location: Lake Erie Council , Cleveland, Ohio

Postby twilightann » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:59 am

thanks for all the hard work on getting these updates done!
twilightann
Tenderfoot
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:00 am
Location: sioux council

2008 Rank Requirement Changes Info

Postby adv_385 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:46 pm

I'm a little confused here. When the 2006 change to the First Class requirements was announced, Scouts already working on the rank didn't have to meet the change unless they didn't finish the rank in the first half of the year. With the 2008 changes, it appears that it is a requirement for all Scouts working on any of the affected ranks, regardless of when they "started". Is that the case? Does this mean that, for example, Tenderfoot candidates with requirement 9 already signed off must now "describe what a bully is..." and get the requirement re-signed? Is it just for those who don't have #9 completed, yielding different requirements for Scouts receiving the same badge at the same Court of Honor? I know the Tenderfoot question is a minor point, but I'm just a little...confused.
adv_385
Scout
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:11 pm

Re: 2008 Rank Requirement Changes Info

Postby evmori » Tue Mar 18, 2008 2:58 pm

adv_385 wrote:I'm a little confused here. When the 2006 change to the First Class requirements was announced, Scouts already working on the rank didn't have to meet the change unless they didn't finish the rank in the first half of the year. With the 2008 changes, it appears that it is a requirement for all Scouts working on any of the affected ranks, regardless of when they "started". Is that the case? Does this mean that, for example, Tenderfoot candidates with requirement 9 already signed off must now "describe what a bully is..." and get the requirement re-signed? Is it just for those who don't have #9 completed, yielding different requirements for Scouts receiving the same badge at the same Court of Honor? I know the Tenderfoot question is a minor point, but I'm just a little...confused.


These changes take effect immediately which is different from the last changes.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm
 
Posts: 1109
Joined: Thu Aug 12, 2004 3:24 pm
Location: Greater Pittsburgh Pittsburgh, PA

Re: 2008 Rank Requirement Changes Info

Postby pipestone1991 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:44 pm

evmori wrote:
adv_385 wrote:I'm a little confused here. When the 2006 change to the First Class requirements was announced, Scouts already working on the rank didn't have to meet the change unless they didn't finish the rank in the first half of the year. With the 2008 changes, it appears that it is a requirement for all Scouts working on any of the affected ranks, regardless of when they "started". Is that the case? Does this mean that, for example, Tenderfoot candidates with requirement 9 already signed off must now "describe what a bully is..." and get the requirement re-signed? Is it just for those who don't have #9 completed, yielding different requirements for Scouts receiving the same badge at the same Court of Honor? I know the Tenderfoot question is a minor point, but I'm just a little...confused.


These changes take effect immediately which is different from the last changes.


That's interesting. Historically National has always given a cut-off date (70s Eagle with 24 mbs, 06 1st class).
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm
 
Posts: 840
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:45 am
Location: Buckeye Council

Postby RWSmith » Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:09 am

Unless otherwise specified -by National- at the time of their release, Rank changes become effective immediately.

Also, just FYI... these changes are now available on MeritBadge.Org.
RWSmith
Site Admin
 
Posts: 1625
Joined: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:45 am
Location: Mecklenburg County Council

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:04 am

IMHO....The new requirements are not onerous and can be covered for the entire troop at one time. For a Scout who has "everything finished" except their SM conference/BOR, the new requirements could be covered then.

I think the 2006 1st class change was phased in since it required a scout to try to recruit a new scout. The 2008 changes are discussion items.
smtroop168
Silver Palm
 
Posts: 2283
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:37 pm
Location: New Birth of Freedom Council Carlisle PA


Return to General Advancement Information

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests