WINTER Camporee

Information on upcoming programs, actual experiences, and program ideas.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

WINTER Camporee

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sun Jan 28, 2007 3:47 pm

We just returned from our District's Winter Camporee. After several years of trying to avoid the "winter" part (or so it seems) (including canceling one the year before last), we were able to get back to a real winter camping experience.

To do so, we had to go further (still in Council) and we only had about 75% of the attendance that we had last year. But, we did have a WINTER Camporee. There was snow and moderately cold temperatures (dropped to 19 degrees F overnight). No one was hurt and I think everyone learned something.

Planning is already underway for another one next year at the same location. We are planning to partner with the District in which the location is to improve both attendance and programs.

It was GREAT. Hope all the rest of you get the same opportunities!

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:40 pm

Sounds like fun, it's important for scouts to get outdoors all year around.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby vpalango » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:02 pm

Our troop just got back from our Klondike Derby. Every patrol in my troop placed in at least one event, and our Mountain Man team took 3rd place overall.

We faced single digit temperatures overnight on Friday, and were featured on one of the local TV News stations that night.

It was a great accomplishments for all the troops that not a single scout had to "bail out" to the lodge that night. Good preparation for winter camping was evident at all troops camping.

YIS,
Vernon L. Palango
Scoutmaster, Troop 131

The best progress is made in those Troops where power and responsibility are really put into the hands of the Patrol Leaders.
-Lord Baden-Powell, Aids to Scoutmastership
vpalango
Life

Postby coneyraven » Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:48 pm

We had ours too---the weekend of January 21st......only one scout went home that evening, and that's because his mother showed unexpectantly...and, well, you know the rest of the story there.....It got down to 8 degrees....we had a "round-robin" event highlighting basic first aid skills, an orienteering contest, and a Klondike Sled race....our guys had a GREAT time. What they really enjoyed was on Monday in school when they described it to friends....let's just say the word "hard-core" was used....We did have one parent sort of cuss out out because they thought we were out of our minds for spending the night, my response was simple, I said, "Larry, it seems like every week you here of someone getting killed because they were caught in a situation where winter weather was approaching and they weren't prepared for it.....would you rather have your son learn when his life depends on it, or would you rather him learn in a controlled setting in order for him to be prepared for the off-chance that he may get caught in a life or death situation like this?"----He understood my point, but he still wouldn't let his son go.....oh well, you can only do so much.
coneyraven

Return to Camporees, Jamborees, High Adventure, and Other Official Activities