do you enforce uniforms?

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby evmori » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:17 am

ASM-142 wrote:We all need to remeber, as stated in other posts, uniforms are not required to participate in scouting to include BORs. Most people will not agree with this, to include myself, but that is the way it is. For a troop to require uniforms this is against National policy. To punish a scout for missing or incomplete uniform this could be considered hazing.

I don't think it's hazing but requiring uniforms for anything is adding to the requirements which is not allowed.

We (as adult leaders) should encourage correct uniforming. We (as adult leaders) should model correct uniforming.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby EagleBoy62204 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:33 pm

Our Scouts wear "full" class A, up to the point of the neckerchief. We tried doing the neckerchief at one point in the year, but so many of our boys would loose the slides or forget the things at the meetings, we just eliminated it from our meetings. However, we make it a requirement, to even be concidered for a Scoutmaster Conference, or a BOR for their next rank at that weeks meeting, they must wear the FULL uniform.

In the summers, we do let our boys go to class b, which is our troop shirt, or any other scout related shirt, with the scout pants/shorts (whichever they feel more confirtable in) and the socks.
Eagle Scout
Detroit Area Council
Troop 1589 Assistant Scoutmaster & First Year Program Director
Detroit Area Council Merit Badge Councilor
EagleBoy62204
Life

Postby OldGreyBear » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:42 pm

"My troop is pretty strict about the uniform. A missing piece of the uniform is 5 pushups during uniform inspection"

I can't believe no one has commented on this. You do push-ups for missing uniform pieces? What does that teach a scout other than to skip inspection day?

And I hope you realize you can have pain, and no weakness disappears. [/code]
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:52 pm

Actually that would fall under Hazing. Correct?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ASM-142 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:57 pm

EagleBoy62204 wrote:... we make it a requirement, to even be concidered for a Scoutmaster Conference, or a BOR for their next rank at that weeks meeting, they must wear the FULL uniform. ...

This is against National's policy. You can not add to the requirements by makeing scouts wear a uniform
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:58 pm

wagionvigil wrote:Actually that would fall under Hazing. Correct?

I would consider this hazing
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby OldGreyBear » Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:08 pm

To those of you who consider doing push up for not being in unform or being 15 minutes late as hazing,

You are of course correct, I cant beleive I missed that !
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby evmori » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:52 pm

OldGreyBear wrote:To those of you who consider doing push up for not being in unform or being 15 minutes late as hazing,

You are of course correct, I cant beleive I missed that !

It might not be the correct thing to do, but it isn't hazing.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby Mick Scouter » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:51 pm

Webster's view of uniform

1 : consistent in conduct or opinion <uniform interpretation of laws>
2 : having always the same form, manner, or degree : not varying or variable
3 : of the same form with others : conforming to one rule or mode :

I suppose this can a plain white t shirt be a uniform if deemed by a committee as a uniform? What is the cost of new plain white t shirts?
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby Mick Scouter » Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:51 pm

Just something to ponder!
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Pondering

Postby riverwalk » Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:34 am

There's a town in this area named Ponder. But I hope they follow the Insignia Guide, YPT, and their Unit policies when they ponder these things. :lol: :wink:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby commish3 » Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:31 am

While a white t-shirt may be a uniform somewhere, it is not a uniform in the BSA unless you are in a Venturing Crew and that was the decision of the youth members. Where in any BSA resource or training Mick have you found anything that gives the unit committee the authority to alter or determine the Scout uniform?

As Webster explains about uniforms "of the same form with others : conforming to one rule or mode"

Thast "rule" is determined by the owners of the uniform, the BSA, and its national executive board, not by each unit committee.
commish3

Postby Troop160 » Mon Dec 12, 2005 3:53 pm

I had told the parent that if the Boy get new Scout uniform, get one size or two size larger. This will last three to four years instead one to two years.

Scout uniform cost are very high. (about $29)

For Scout pant, I alway told them to get short type. (these are for summer camp).

For all non-council camping, we wear home-made t-shirt. For council camping or activity, just scout shirt for activity and full scout uniform for summer camp.
Troop160
Tenderfoot

Postby WhtHawk » Wed Dec 14, 2005 9:50 pm

commish3 wrote:While a white t-shirt may be a uniform somewhere, it is not a uniform in the BSA unless ....

Unless, you are wearing an 'activity' uniform, which includes a consistent t-shirt (in the spirit of scouting of course), scout pants, and scout socks. The activity uniform (often referred to as a class b) is not a subistitue for the field uniform for ocassions where it is required.
"The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one." -- Wilhelm Steckel
WhtHawk
Tenderfoot

Postby commish3 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:51 pm

You may have misunderstood the previous posts Whthawk, in Mick Scouter's post he refers to the use of a "plain white t-shirt"

A plain white t-shirt does not meet the uniform requirements in a Boy Scout Troop program even in an activity uniform (there is no class b uniform in the BSA program).

The BSA does not describe the activity uniform as "consistent", it says a Troop or camp t-shirt or polo style shirt with the official uniform belt, socks, shorts (or pants).
commish3

Postby scoutdiver » Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:38 pm

Troop 483 of Hampton Bays, NY stresses every part of the uniform at meetings and special events. In the summer, we are allowed to wear our class B's. We only stress sashes at BOR's and COH's
scoutdiver

Postby ASM-142 » Wed Jan 18, 2006 8:40 am

stressing the uniform is OK as long as you do not require it.
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Previous

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies