Scout Shop now online

Answers, ideas, and suggestions on the stuff troops need.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Scout Shop now online

Postby DadScout » Thu Aug 11, 2005 12:51 pm

Some time ago I read in these forums that the BSA supply store would open an on-line store. There was talk about why it would or would not happen. Well its happened. I just hit scoutstuff.org and got redirected to an on-line store.
https://scoutnet.scouting.org/BSASupply/default.aspx
Bill
DadScout
Life

Postby Mick Scouter » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:17 pm

Boy that has been a long time comming but I am glad!
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby 2boysRscouts » Tue Sep 20, 2005 10:41 pm

Only thing, you can't order advancement. Which I understand to a certain extent but........as advancement chair I live 30 miles from the nearest scout store. If you could fax in the form with the rank signed off, seems like you could still order online.
2boysRscouts
Second Class

Postby Mick Scouter » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:33 pm

You probably could make the necessary arrangements with your advancement chair and council.
Mick Scouter
Eagle

Postby Rick Tyler » Tue Sep 20, 2005 11:46 pm

2boysRscouts wrote:Only thing, you can't order advancement. Which I understand to a certain extent but........as advancement chair I live 30 miles from the nearest scout store. If you could fax in the form with the rank signed off, seems like you could still order online.

I live about that far from our Scout Shop. When I want something, I just call the shop, tell them what I want, give them my credit card number and they mail it to me. The shipping cost is much less than the cost of driving.
Rick Tyler
Assistant Scoutmaster, Troop 575, Chief Seattle Council
OA, Wood Badge, Merit Badge Guy, &c.
Rick Tyler
Life

Choices

Postby riverwalk » Wed Sep 21, 2005 1:48 am

I'm glad the choices continue to grow. I'm one of those that doesn't mind going to the Council Office, which is at least 30 miles. Of course three times in five days is a little much, haha. But it'll slow down again soon to twice a month maybe. :roll: :wink:
riverwalk
Bronze Palm

Postby falcon » Mon Oct 17, 2005 8:22 pm

What the heck is up with the site though? It must be their server. I wonder is someone hacked it?
falcon
Scout

Postby DadScout » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:30 pm

The site looks normal to me. Unless there's something specific you're looking at that I don't see. I hopped in a on a few items and all looked ok.
Bill
DadScout
Life

Postby Scouting179 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 7:17 pm

BE ADVISED that your local council gets NO MONEY from sales of items sold at this site.

I understand the convenience of it online ordering, especially for those in remote locations, but National keeps all the monies therefrom.

Whereas when you buy at your local council store (mail or in person), your council gets 15% of the sales. So, the more you buy online, the more your council has to raise via FOS, fundraisers, etc. This could bankrupt some councils as many operate on a thin margin.

Personally, I think National is wrong to keep all the money from this. There are ways to get proceeds back to your council.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby commish3 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:09 pm

BE ADVISED that your local council gets NO MONEY from sales of items sold at this site.

I believe that is incorrect. If you use the link on your council's website to enter the Scout Stuff on-line store your local council will get the rebate from the purchase.

Check with your local office to be sure.
commish3

Postby Scouting179 » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:14 pm

commish3 wrote:

I believe that is incorrect. If you use the link on your council's website to enter the Scout Stuff on-line store your local council will get the rebate from the purchase.

Check with your local office to be sure.

I did. Both our Council Scout Executive and District Executive told me the councils get no money from the BSA online store.

Also, a link on a council site merely takes you to the online store, it does no processing of its own. Councils are banned by BSA from creating their own online stores. In other words, BSA has a monopoly on this.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Return to Uniforming and Scouting Supplies