National Outdoor Badges/Medal for Outdoor Achievement

All non-advancement related awards and recognitions. (Anything except Ranks, Merit Badges, and Palms.)

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

National Outdoor Badges/Medal for Outdoor Achievement

Postby razor_strop » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:50 am

I wonder if this press release is legitimate, or it will follow the example of the historic merit badge program:

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2010/0 ... .html#more
razor_strop
Life

Re: National Outdoor Badges/Medal for Outdoor Achievement

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 12:24 pm

"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby joshuapscouter » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:08 pm

razor_strop wrote:I wonder if this press release is legitimate, or it will follow the example of the historic merit badge program:

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2010/0 ... .html#more

what happened with the historic merit badge program? that was eventually released, right?

that blog is the scouting magazine's official blog, so it's all coming from national.
joshuapscouter
Scout

Postby RWSmith » Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:56 pm

First: Welcome to the board.

Second: Uh, his comment was, uh, a "tongue-in-cheek" swipe at their "Cracker Barrel" on this one (and, I think, kinda-sorta by inference, other recent National-level fumbles... Geocaching MB, Bugling MB, just to mention a couple), which he assumed would be recognized by all.

See: "2010 Historical" Merit Badges and Bugling MB being dropped in 2011
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby mhjacobson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:41 am

It is real -- however some of the requirements for the medal seem to be very steep and do not make sense -- what do you do if someone from the troop has already performed the LNT training for the award? What does the second scout do -- repeat the training? What if it is a young troop? concerned about the "leading a trek" requirement.

I like the concept, but am concerned that it was not thought out thoroughly before being announced.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby razor_strop » Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:12 am

Thanks for the top cover, RW; I admit I was being a little snarky...probably should have used a smilie to better convey that.

I agree with the one blog comment on Aquatics...wow, Swimming AND Lifesaving AND Mile Swim (rather than 'or'). Not to mention we've always tracked miles for boating trips, not hours (which I agree does lend itself better than mileage for tracking swim time). We're going to have to go back into our activities records and try to figure out time spent on water during past events instead of distance traveled...I hope I get overtime for this. :lol:
razor_strop
Life

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 2:13 pm

Add one combined Citizenship MB, Communcations and Personal Management MBs to this and we've got our new Eagle Requirements. :)
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 10:29 pm

re: NOAA camping

#4 reads: "Complete 25 days and nights of camping—including six consecutive days (five nights) of resident camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America—including nights camped as part of requirements 1 through 3 above."

Would you say that these are only troop/district campouts or can a Scout count the nights he spends working on his Backpacking and Wilderness Survival merit badges?
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:35 pm

That would be up to his merit badge counselor.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby RWSmith » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:48 pm

jr56 wrote:That would be up to his merit badge counselor.

:?: :?: :?:
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby Quailman » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:25 pm

I guess it would be up to his "Scoutmaster or coach", as that is who signs the application.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/Outdo ... 509_WB.pdf
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby cdwscout » Wed Oct 26, 2011 5:26 pm

Note: The pages for the medal/badges are both stubs on the wiki.
Yours in scOUTING,
Cdwscout
cdwscout
Star

Postby razor_strop » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:23 pm

As it seems the National Outdoor Badge for Camping (NOB-C) has replaced the old National Camping Award, we've been reviewing the requirements for the NOB-C and have come up with a questions for the masses. The "nights camped" requirement reads:

"4. Complete 25 days and nights of camping—including six consecutive days (five nights) of resident camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America—including nights camped as part of requirements 1 through 3 above.

A gold device may be earned for each additional 25 nights of camping. A silver device is earned for each additional 100 nights of camping."

The old National Camping Award recognized a Scout for completing 100 nights of camping. The requirements seem to say that a Scout earns a silver device for the NOB-C segment after he completes 125 nights of camping rather than 100 (Rqmt 4 calls for 25, then a silver device after 100 additional nights on top of the initial 25 nights for Rqmt 4). Are we reading the NOB-C requirements correctly (emphasis on the "additional"), or should a Scout earn a silver device after he completes a total of 100 nights of camping.

This question also extends into the other NO badges; do the silver devices come only after the additional miles/nights/hours/etc. (e.g., 300 miles hiked, 150 hours on the water, 600 miles on a bike)?

Thanks for any guidance you may have.
razor_strop
Life

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:15 am

Dunno. You can try asking Bill Evans at National as the Awards area, web page http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Awards_Central.aspx and soon to be publication belong to him.

Bill.Evans@scouting.org
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby razor_strop » Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:42 am

Thanks Matt.
razor_strop
Life

Postby ismellbacon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:44 pm

I looked on Scouting.Org and was unable to find it... but, where does this go on the uniform? My son will be getting two of the tabs after summer camp.

Thanks!
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
Colonial Virginia Council
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby RWSmith » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:13 pm

ismellbacon wrote:I looked on Scouting.Org and was unable to find it... but, where does this go on the uniform? My son will be getting to the the tabs after summer camp.

Even though these (the patch and its segments (a.k.a., "rockers")) are restricted items, they're still classified as temporary insignia; ergo ...

... right breast pocket -or- the back or the MB sash.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby ismellbacon » Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:32 pm

RWSmith wrote:
ismellbacon wrote:I looked on Scouting.Org and was unable to find it... but, where does this go on the uniform? My son will be getting to the the tabs after summer camp.

Even though these (the patch and its segments (a.k.a., "rockers")) are restricted items, they're still classified as temporary insignia; ergo ...

... right breast pocket -or- the back or the MB sash.

Thanks!
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
Colonial Virginia Council
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby razor_strop » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:40 pm

As a follow-up, I did receive a reply from National re: my question on silver device requirements. The stated numbers (100 additional nights, 200 additional miles, etc.) are indeed in addition to the numbers required for the segment--i.e., Camping silver device requires 125 nights, Hiking silver device requires 300 miles, Riding silver device requires 600 miles.
razor_strop
Life

Postby Flaxin » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:00 pm

Dear fellow Scouters,

I have worked up an Excel Spreadsheet just for tracking multiple boys working towards the National Outdoor Achievement badges and medal.

Please let me know if you find it helpful.

Disclaimer: I am NOT a professional spreadsheet developer, and make no claims that my work doesn't include mistakes or ommissions.

Yours in Scouting,

Ray
Flaxin
Scout

Next

Return to Awards and Recognitions