Parent Leaders - What is the Point?

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby ICanCanoeCanU » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:09 pm

He came to me and asked to start the MB. That is when I went to the other adult leaders and asked how to get it done. That is when the can of worms was opened and I became an object of disdain.

Here lies two problems:

1. You should have your son now ask the advancement person and SM in your troop how he can get this done instead of you asking.

2. Remember that the other adults may or may not know you and have seen new eager adults before asking for their son and it's turned out that it is the parent that wants this done, not the scout.

I'm not saying this is your sitiuation but because of previous experience your adult leadership may have been suspect to this. I would suggest several things - Have your son speak up in front of the entire troop to state that he would like to work on the Hiking badge and ask if anyone else is interested, they could speak to him about starting the badge together. Someone may just speak up and if a few kids seem interested, you maybe suprised. OR, call another MBC, OR see if any other adult is intested in going with you both OR have him visit/call another troop to see if he can recruit other scouts from another troop. Of course, do this after signing up as a MBC for this badge so all you need is another youth and adult.
ICanCanoeCanU
Eagle

Postby Lynda J » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:25 pm

You might also check with another troop and see if any boys want to work on hiking. His work buddy doesn't have to be from his patrol or troop.

You mentioned that you wanted to hike the Grand Canyon. Take lots of pictures and make a scrapbook that he can show the counselor. Not only
does this give him a great memory book but shows the counselor what he did and where.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Got It Fixed

Postby ThunderingWind » Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:58 pm

I have finally been able to get things worked out.

I can teach my son any time, any where, any thing (as Dad and AMS). Some other ASM will do the testing and sign the book. He can work as fast as he wants on Ranks advancement. I have been asked to not teach a few things because the Troop wants to do them as a Patrol.

As for the MB....if there is no other willing to be a buddy, then I or Mom can be his buddy (Youth Protection) and continue to teach him outside his contact with the MBC. The MBC will still be the tester and finalar authority.

This is how it should be (in my mind).

Thank you for all your guidance and suggestions.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:01 pm

I really think most of that is what we all said it should be and I am glad it worked out for you
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Scouting179 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:19 pm

Glad it worked out.

Keep participating in the forum.
Eagle Scout, 22 Jan 1974
ISCA 5537L, Wood Badge SR 571
Chowanoc District Advancement Chairman
Tidewater Council, VA
http://members.cox.net/scouting179
Scouting179
Bronze Palm

Postby Chief J » Fri Mar 18, 2005 11:01 am

Glad to hear it worked out for you.

Best of luck to you and your son,

Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby cescout » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:51 pm

NOT CUBSCOUTS ANYMORE!!!!

In our troop only adult leaders other than the parent is allowed to sign off in the book.
CE-SCOUT
cescout
Star

Postby scubascout » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:21 pm

same here
scubascout
Life

Postby WeeWillie » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:11 am

When I was a PL (late 60s) I had sign off authority for T-1 advancement.
Troops that apply all 8 Methods of Scouting produce Scouts who have the skills to sign off. Unfortunately, we have too many troops that are so focused on advancement they don't allow their Scouts to develop leadership. Read the PL and SPL Handbooks and see how much authority (empowerment) our PLs, SPLs and other youth leaders should have.

Our troop isn't quite there, but we have several Scouts who are given the authority to sign off advancement requirements. For example, Scouts who earned Pioneering MB do lashing, Orienteering MB land navigation...

Honestly, I don't see our troop reaching the level of PL, SPL leadership that was common place when I was a Scout, but we still try. Our Scouts have made great strides.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby cescout » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:56 pm

Our troop started off that way, until we had some adults go through some more in depth training such as Woodbadge, etc. we started focusing more on leadership. I can see where you are going with this. Try suggesting some new ideas, you will be amazed at how much you can help.
CE-SCOUT
cescout
Star

Postby scubascout » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:58 pm

as a PL, ASPL, and Spl I have had the authority to intial next to the requirment and committee members can initial too, parent or not

Only sm and asm's can sign off in the official box
scubascout
Life

Postby joat » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:42 pm

scubascout wrote:Only sm and asm's can sign off in the official box
Why? Try asking, "What can I do so that you'll trust me with this?" Let us know the response.
joat
Life

Postby scubascout » Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:52 pm

Joat, I'm sorry, but i'd rather not ask. I'm fine with how we do it now.

Thanks
Scubascout
scubascout
Life

Postby pipestone1991 » Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:41 pm

cescout wrote:NOT CUBSCOUTS ANYMORE!!!!

In our troop only adult leaders other than the parent is allowed to sign off in the book.

Ditto, it's not cubs anymore.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby AquilaNegra » Thu Jan 10, 2008 2:20 pm

To the original question, if it's just the parent and Scout, our troop leadership has said it's a FAMILY hike, not a Scout hike. My two Scouts are gung-ho and I'm the Hiking MBC. However, for hikes to be valid toward the badge, the SM has said that another Scout must be along as well. If a parent counsels a badge, there must be "+1". Is that adding? Probably.

Unfortunately, a few years back we had a parent who signed off everything, signed up to be the MBC counselor for all the required badges, but only worked on them with his son (there are ways to get around offering them to all - such as setting the counseling sessions at 6 am), and basically pushed his son through Eagle at 13. Rather than kick and scream about our troop adding requirements, I work through them.

If you're having trouble finding another Scout from your own troop to go, check your troop locater and let other troops in the area know you're going. They may be having trouble finding a Hiking MBC and be thrilled to join you.
AquilaNegra

Postby WeeWillie » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:03 pm

Unfortunately we have parents who sign up for leadership positions so that can personally direct their son's advancement. It is situations like you report which is why the SM approves MBCs. You could also report the situation to your District or Council Advancement Committee. They have the authority to decertify a MBC which could have happened in your troop's situation.

Let me guess, the Scout dropped shortly after Eagle or is out to earn a bunch of merit badges.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby ronin718 » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:23 am

This is one reason our troop doesn't allow parents to sign their son's reqs. With 25+ ASMs and MBCs covering 81 MBs, there's no reason for a parent to be the sole source for advancement.

Like the SM has been heard to say, "We're not in Cubs anymore. Time for the boy to cut the strings and forge his way."
ronin718
Eagle

Postby AquilaNegra » Thu Jan 17, 2008 1:55 am

WeeWillie wrote:Let me guess, the Scout dropped shortly after Eagle or is out to earn a bunch of merit badges.

Nothing wrong with being 'out to earn a bunch of merit badges.' -- it's only when the parent is the sole MBC and not counseling other Scouts.
AquilaNegra

Postby cballman » Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:54 am

even though National says that we can be the MBC for our own kids. Some of us will probley make the badge harder for our own then the other boys. but then again the other parents have complained that I have made it easier on my own son. That is why If my son is taking a merit badge from me then I will allways have another also sign off on his req. so the troop know that my son did the req. to suit the other adult, not just me. I know sounds like a lot of trouble but this is the way our troop works the merit badge program. After seeing how this system works for our troop I think it keeps the program strong for our kids and does not put to much pressure on either the child or troop.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby molscouter » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:57 pm

I serve the troop as advancement chair. The only thing I have signed in my son's book is the 2nd class 5 activity/1st class 10 activity stuff, since I have the records for those, just as I do for all the boys. He either was there or he wasn't.

When he was at his Tenderfoot Conference, the SM looked at his book and thought that I had signed off a lot of stuff. He said no, it was Mr. V. I changed the way I initialed after that; I had to admit, our scribbles looked a lot alike.
molscouter
Tenderfoot

PreviousNext

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms