First Class Requirement 9b

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

First Class Requirement 9b

Postby MWThompson » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:24 pm

I'm in a disagreement with another Scouter over First Class Requirement 9B. I say that it needs no interpretation; complete the swimmer test. His opinion is that you just have to make a reasonable attempt.

I have shown him how the 2nd Class requirements correspond with the "red" beginner test, and that 1st Class requirements correspond with the "blue" swimmer test.

Am I correct? How do I convince him?
MWThompson
Scout

Re: First Class Requirement 9b

Postby Quailman » Tue Feb 17, 2015 8:11 am

I doubt that you can convince him. Anyone who can interpret "Successfully complete the BSA swimmer test." to mean "give it a good try" needs reeducation. This isn't do-your-best Cub Scouts, it's Boy Scouts. Unless granted a disability exemption, each Scout must complete each requirement as written. I suspect the word successfully was added because parents and former Webelos leaders thought giving it a good try would suffice.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby Mrw » Tue Feb 17, 2015 10:33 am

Yes, complete MEANS complete. It does not have to be pretty, but it has to be done. So if the boy can finish, he completed it even if the technique is rough. If he cannot swim well enough to finish, he has not completed the task and needs more practice.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby jr56 » Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:31 pm

Yes, you are correct, the boy needs to successfully complete the BSA swimmer test. Yes, 2nd class and 1st class requirements do aline with the begginner and swimmer levels at scout camp. Just trying is not good enough.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Mar 03, 2015 3:43 pm

You wouldn't take a Scout on a canoe or rafting trip who "tried" to swim would you? Think of Safe Swim and Safety Afloat training!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby cballman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 11:56 pm

If you read the requirements for any scout rank or merit badge. You CANNOT add to or take away from any requirement. In essence that would be the same as saying that every child is a winner lets give them a trophy. NOPE that's why they keep score. People they are winners and losers in every walk of life. As a BSA Lifeguard if you tried and failed you failed. Sorry I haven't lost a child yet but I have made a few mad. Sorry people but the child has to complete SUCCESSFULLY the swim test. Not just try. A few years ago I had to fail a child on the swim test because he didn't follow the instructions. He also was in the top five swimmers in the state that year, but he failed a simple swim test.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms