Swim test and trudgen

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Swim test and trudgen

Postby King Ding Dong » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:55 pm

I and a certified Red Cross Life Guard and YMCA swim instructor and have administered many pre-certification swim tests for Scouts. I have always taken the "strong manner" regarding the front crawl to require some sort of rhythmic breathing (face in water blowing, not necessarily side rotary breathing). The trudgen is sort of a lost art (even spell check doesn't recognize the word) and few seem to even know what it is. Research on the web has shown it to be front crawl arm movements and either a scissor kick or less popular whip kick. Some define it with rotary breathing and others show it as acceptable with the face completely out of the water.

I am now starting to question the standards I hold the scouts to on the swim test. I have not passed many scouts and adults who attempt the front crawl because they won't put their face in the water and have advised them to switch to the side stroke if they are capable. In competitive swimming there is no standard for the kick in the front crawl, however most use a flutter.

This all leads me to the conclusion that a scout attempting the front crawl with their head above water the whole time, regardless of how they kick or not is performing the trudgen, an accepted stroke.

Thoughts?

Edit: sorry the submit button was not responding. How can I delete the duplicate posts.
King Ding Dong
Tenderfoot

Re: Swim test and trudgen

Postby ismellbacon » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:52 am

I'm no expert, but from what I have seen at summer camps is that anything short of doggie-paddle or the back stroke when not called for is acceptable.
Yours in scouting,

Sleeping Bear
Scoutmaster
Colonial Virginia Council
S7-595-12-1
ismellbacon
Star

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:21 am

The whole idea is (can they swim 100 yards in a manner that would self rescue? plus maintain by treading water and floating. )
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby King Ding Dong » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:38 pm

wagionvigil wrote:The whole idea is (can they swim 100 yards in a manner that would self rescue? plus maintain by treading water and floating. )

I value your opinion. I few other questions I have. I cannot find any requirement to tread water, unless it is implicate in getting to a float from swimming or in the sharp turn.

I have read your past posts on the subject that you fail if they tech the wall. In a 25 yard pool I would fail if they grab the side wall or hang on a rope, but i do not view a flip turn or a very brief end wall touch to turn around a problem. Hanging to catch breath is a problem. 1001 and you better let go. I also have them show the ability to turn around in the water. Laying out a square course in most indoor pools is not really feasible.

Thanks
King Ding Dong
Tenderfoot

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:43 pm

The kids usually tread in between the back stroke and floating.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:55 pm

I view the BSA swim test as a minimum bar kind of thing. It lets them play in the deep end. It is a sign off on rank requirements. If you are doing more challenging stuff like open water snorkeling, SCUBA, white water stuff, ETC you can and should expect more than the minimum bar. If you are the leader for those activities, you can retest, you do not have to accept a previous swim check. Your standards there should be different than some one who just wants to swim in a monitored situation like summer camp.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby King Ding Dong » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:22 pm

wagionvigil wrote:The kids usually tread in between the back stroke and floating.

Do you consider the back crawl a "resting backstroke" ? The only resting backstroke I am aware of is the elementary backstroke (chicken, starfish, soldier). I suppose the back crawl could be considered resting is done very slowly and one is a proficient floater. I have just never seen it classified as such.
King Ding Dong
Tenderfoot

Postby ronin718 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:56 am

If I recall the requirement for the swim test, the first 75 is any stroke is acceptable, the last 25 calls for the elementary backstroke, then comes the minute float. So my question... Is the standard backstroke being used in the first 75 or in place of the EB on the last 25?
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby cballman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:10 pm

I will say that I was taught that you had to do 75 yards using any FORWARD stroke and 25 yards using the elementry backstroke. If using the Back crawl during any part of the forward part then the scout would have to take the test over because it is not a forward stroke. I also had to flunk a young man who won many awards from swim meets because he didnt follow the instructions for the swim test. Sometimes people read to much into the requirements. We must remember we are dealing with parents and must explain each item is very simple terms.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms