2nd class requirement 10

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

2nd class requirement 10

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:20 pm

10.Earn an amount of money agreed upon by you and your parent, then save at least 50 percent of that money.

How do you handle this one in your unit?

Give the scout a ballpark amount? Scout could say I earned a dollar and here's 50 cents.

Do you suggest a timeframe? Month's allowance?

Do you ask for parental documentation?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Re: 2nd class requirement 10

Postby kwildman » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:00 pm

I have the parent initial the requirement and then i sign it as being complete. They way i read it is not up to me as scoutmaster to decide if the requirement is met. There is no discussion needed about the requirement. Parent says they are good i sign it off. Kind of a stupid requirement... i would prefer that the kids actually be required to light a fire instead of describe one. :roll:

smtroop168 wrote:10.Earn an amount of money agreed upon by you and your parent, then save at least 50 percent of that money.

How do you handle this one in your unit?

Give the scout a ballpark amount? Scout could say I earned a dollar and here's 50 cents.

Do you suggest a timeframe? Month's allowance?

Do you ask for parental documentation?
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:12 pm

I agree. You allow the parent to define how this requirement is met. I would not want to have BSA define it too rigorously. How different families handle finances especially at the 11-12 year old level varies significantly. It is not really the SM's place to them what is the right way.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ScoutMomGWRC » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:23 pm

Since we don't give our son an allowance my scout and I agreed that whatever the next occasion was that he got some money, whether it was birthday or Christmas or a garage sale...
then he would save half of that.. and by saving, I took him to the bank at that moment and opened his savings account with him...

If he had already had one, I would have taken him to deposit it.

Our scoutmaster didn't even ask me about it... maybe he asked my son when he got it signed off..... ??
ScoutMomGWRC
First Class

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:33 am

Thanks so far. Not trying to redefine it just want to see how others do it.

The action words in the requirement are EARN and SAVE. It's designed to get the Scout is Thrifty message out and to kinda prep the scout for when they tackle the budget for Pers Mgmt MB down the road. If the scout doesn't EARN any money to pay his own way, then this is a chance to have the parents start an 11 y/o in this practice. Garage Sale income is a good idea.

The parent can provide evidence that the requirement was met, but the SM is still decides if the requirement is met. Same goes for 1st class req 10...Invite a friend.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms