What does "Know and Understand" mean?

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

What does "Know and Understand" mean?

Postby schmidwi » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:40 pm

I have been struggling with the wording for the Scout badge or Joining requirements. According to the Boy Scout Handbook page 17 (12 ed), a boy must: "Understand and agree to live by the Scout Oath or Promise, Scout Law, motto and slogan, and the Outdoor Code (Page 22)".

I have always understood that these requirements (Scout rank) should be something a boy can complete pretty easily in 1 or 2 meetings; but oftentimes we expect boys to have memorized these things (Oath, Law, Motto, Slogan, Outdoor code). I know that " ... repeat from memory ..." is a Tenderfoot requirement, so what does it mean to "Understand and agree to live by ...", and how do others test Scouts on this requirement?

Thanks so much for your help.

William Schmidt
ASM, Troop 204, Cary, NC
schmidwi
Scout

Re: What does "Know and Understand" mean?

Postby FrankJ » Wed Dec 21, 2011 3:20 pm

This is a low bar. I talk to the scout in general terms what the words mean. I try to get them to do most of the talking. I have yet to have any of them not agree to leave by Scout Oath & Law. Not even the little hellions. :o

Once upon a time you actually had to meet the Tenderfoot requirements to join. Not true today.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:29 pm

schmidwi wrote:I have been struggling with the wording for the Scout badge or Joining requirements. According to the Boy Scout Handbook page 17 (12 ed), a boy must: "Understand and agree to live by the Scout Oath or Promise, Scout Law, motto and slogan, and the Outdoor Code (Page 22)".

I have always understood that these requirements (Scout rank) should be something a boy can complete pretty easily in 1 or 2 meetings; but oftentimes we expect boys to have memorized these things (Oath, Law, Motto, Slogan, Outdoor code). I know that " ... repeat from memory ..." is a Tenderfoot requirement, so what does it mean to "Understand and agree to live by ...", and how do others test Scouts on this requirement?

Thanks so much for your help.

William Schmidt
ASM, Troop 204, Cary, NC

Welcome to the Forum.

I wouldn't get too excited about the wording. Remember the Scout Badge is not a rank and is designed for those boys who were never Cub Scouts. The AOL crossovers have already "completed" this as part of their AOL requirements. The goal for the new boy is for him to read through his Scout HB's pages on the Scout Law, Oath, Slogan and Motto and get an appreciation of Scouting's Ideals and Values. The basic understanding that these exist and he will use them in his daily life is what we're shooting for here. The boy is only 11 remember.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby jr56 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:31 am

Yes, basiclly an introduction to scoutings principles and what it means to follow them.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms