Palm placement

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Palm placement

Postby lambeausam » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:36 pm

After a young man has earned his a palm, he may wear it on the ribbon of the medal received at his Eagle Court of Honor. Am I correct in that this is the only place he can wear it as a youth? It seems odd that an adult can wear the palms "in the field", but not the youth.
lambeausam
Life

Re: Palm placement

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:43 pm

lambeausam wrote:After a young man has earned his a palm, he may wear it on the ribbon of the medal received at his Eagle Court of Honor. Am I correct in that this is the only place he can wear it as a youth? It seems odd that an adult can wear the palms "in the field", but not the youth.

His Eagle Medal is the only place he wears palms. As he gets a second, he replaces the Bronze with the Gold. Once he earns his 4th palm he wears his Silver and bronze together.

He does not wear his Palm on his Rank Badge!!!

Palms are not Ranks...they are awards.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RWSmith » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:51 am

lambeausam wrote:After a young man has earned his a palm, he may wear it on the ribbon of the medal received at his Eagle Court of Honor. Am I correct in that this is the only place he can wear it as a youth? It seems odd that an adult can wear the palms "in the field", but not the youth.

Yeah, it don't "seem" right. But, it is what it is, right? I double-checked the Insignia Guide for exact wording and found:

Eagle Palm, Bronze, No. 00335; Gold, No. 00336; Silver, No. 00337; Boy Scout and Scouter, worn only on the Eagle Award ribbon or Eagle square knot. You may wear only the proper combination of Palms for the number of merit badges you earn beyond Eagle. The Bronze Palm represents five merit badges; Gold, 10; and Silver, 15. For example, if you earn 10 merit badges and two Palms, you would wear only the Gold Palm. If you earn 20 merit badges and four Palms, you would wear a Silver and a Bronze Palm.

But, on closer inspection, I also found:

• Boy Scouts may, of course, wear both the Eagle Rank (No. 00489) and Eagle Award (antique finish, No. 00135; sterling silver, No. 00112 (if you can find it)) on the uniform at the same time.

• And, Adult Scouters may wear the Eagle Award only on formal occasions.

(This much I already knew; and, I would think that it's pretty much common knowledge.)

• Oddly though, what did catch my attention is that there's no "formal occasions" restriction for Boy Scouts.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 9:35 am

RWSmith wrote:

Yeah, it don't "seem" right. But, it is what it is, right? I double-checked the Insignia Guide for exact wording and found:

Eagle Palm, Bronze, No. 00335; Gold, No. 00336; Silver, No. 00337; Boy Scout and Scouter, worn only on the Eagle Award ribbon or Eagle square knot. You may wear only the proper combination of Palms for the number of merit badges you earn beyond Eagle. The Bronze Palm represents five merit badges; Gold, 10; and Silver, 15. For example, if you earn 10 merit badges and two Palms, you would wear only the Gold Palm. If you earn 20 merit badges and four Palms, you would wear a Silver and a Bronze Palm.

But, on closer inspection, I also found:

• Boy Scouts may, of course, wear both the Eagle Rank (No. 00489) and Eagle Award (antique finish, No. 00135; sterling silver, No. 00112 (if you can find it)) on the uniform at the same time.

• And, Adult Scouters may wear the Eagle Award only on formal occasions.

(This much I already knew; and, I would think that it's pretty much common knowledge.)

• Oddly though, what did catch my attention is that there's no "formal occasions" restriction for Boy Scouts.

The "Formal Occasions" definition is right next to the "clergy" one. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually...a formal occasion is anytime you are posting on this forum. :P
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RWSmith » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:07 am

http://cheezburger.com/View/3478851072

P.S. "I used to be a Bear, a good ol' Bear, too!" (So, yeah... I'm sticking my tongue out at you!)
RWSmith
Site Admin

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms