Transitioning to New Requirements

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Transitioning to New Requirements

Postby agdparker » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:35 pm

I was looking at the requirments for Life rank and the EDGE requirements. From the USSSP pages, if a Scout has already "started" on the requirements before they came out, they may use the old requirements, I believe. If that's the case, what exactly constitutes "starting" on the requirements. If they earned a MB that gets credited to the Life rank (3rd non-Eagle-required MB, for instance) before the new requirements came in, does that mean that they can use the old requirements?

I'm trying to see when EDGE came in, but the old requirements link is broken right now.

Thanks.

Edit: Paul fixed the link within minutes of me reporting it. Talk about service!
agdparker
Star

Re: Transitioning to New Requirements

Postby Fred Johnson » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:54 pm

For rank ... the instant the previous rank was signed off.

For merit badges ... either the moment he contacts the counselor or the moment he gets is blue card from the SM. The MB counselor probably decides that little nuance, but I'd favor the scout and say which ever came first.
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:49 pm

The EDGE requirement for Life rank became effective as of January 1, 2010.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:44 pm

agdparker wrote:I was looking at the requirments for Life rank and the EDGE requirements. From the USSSP pages, if a Scout has already "started" on the requirements before they came out, they may use the old requirements, I believe. If that's the case, what exactly constitutes "starting" on the requirements. If they earned a MB that gets credited to the Life rank (3rd non-Eagle-required MB, for instance) before the new requirements came in, does that mean that they can use the old requirements?

I'm trying to see when EDGE came in, but the old requirements link is broken right now.

Thanks.
As others said, A Scout STARTS working on a rank as soon as he successfully passes a board of review for the previous rank. He can only use the old requirements for rank advancement until he finishes his NEXT Board of Review. Starting on a Merit badge that counts for Life would only count as starting work on Life only if it was done after he had earned the Star rank. Similarly, completing one of the requirements for First Class before he completed all requirements for either Tenderfoot or Second Class would NOT qualify as "working toward First Class".
agdparker wrote:Edit: Paul fixed the link within minutes of me reporting it. Talk about service!
Thanks. We try to respond as soon as we can! (It helps that I'm home most days, since I'm retired. And as I wrote David, that was an easy fix. I had forgotten to upload a file.)
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby agdparker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:27 pm

Thanks to all for the information. While I understand how it is intended, I will be interested to see how the rule is interpreted by my unit's leaders.
agdparker
Star

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:31 pm

It is now January, 2011, and the EDGE requirement has been in place for a full year now. Plenty of time to complete the requirement at least 10 times over.

If there was any "interpretation" to be done it should have been done over the last 12 months.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms