Question... I'm a new ASM; what can I do to help?

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Question... I'm a new ASM; what can I do to help?

Postby hikebarefoot » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:51 pm

I am new to this forum and also a newly trained assistant scout master. My son and some of the other new scouts in the troop were unable to attend camp this sommer. I am cureous if it is permitted for me to work with any of the boys and sign off in there books towards rank?
hikebarefoot
Tenderfoot

Re: Question

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:56 pm

First Welcome
Second what did you learn at training about that?
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hikebarefoot » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:55 pm

All activities would strictly adhere to youth protection guidelines of course. I can't think of much else.
hikebarefoot
Tenderfoot

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:03 pm

In most troops the older boys can sign off the requirements that the younger boys have completed You mentioned your son I would let someone else sign him off on requirements. I also would check with your SM as to what he wants you to do.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby hikebarefoot » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:40 pm

thank you
hikebarefoot
Tenderfoot

Postby wagionvigil » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:43 pm

Take some time and use the search engine on the forum. You will find several threads about this subject.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:55 pm

hikebarefoot wrote:I am new to this forum and also a newly trained assistant scout master. My son and some of the other new scouts in the troop were unable to attend camp this sommer. I am cureous if it is permitted for me to work with any of the boys and sign off in there books towards rank?

Of course you can work with the boys. Ask the SM if he has anything he wants to make sure is covered. Also there is absolutely no restriction on you signing off your son's stuff, rank or MBs. Some don't like to do so and that's your call but there is no BSA restriction.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:58 am

Yes, you can work with the boys on the Scout Skills for their Rank requirements.

However - unless you have the specific approval of your SM, you may not sign off on those skills. This is not Cub Scouts anymore.

Per the BSA Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures -
A Scout may be tested on rank requirements by his patrol leader, Scoutmaster, assistant Scoutmaster, a troop committee member, or a member of his troop. The Scoutmaster maintains a list of those qualified to give tests and to pass candidates.
My emphasis on the last sentence.

Also, you can not sign off on any Merit Badge work unless you are a registered Merit Badge Counselor for that badge.

So, I would work with the boys on their skills. Get them learning stuff and having fun doing it. Then when they get back to their Troop meeting their Troop Guide, SPL, or whoever the SM has authorized, can test them and sign them off.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Re: Question... I'm a new ASM; what can I do to help?

Postby Quailman » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:35 pm

Welcome to the forum! You might want to edit your profile to include your home council in the location filed. You may find you have real-life neighbors here.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:17 pm

Nuts4Scouts wrote:Yes, you can work with the boys on the Scout Skills for their Rank requirements.

However - unless you have the specific approval of your SM, you may not sign off on those skills. This is not Cub Scouts anymore.

Per the BSA Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures -
A Scout may be tested on rank requirements by his patrol leader, Scoutmaster, assistant Scoutmaster, a troop committee member, or a member of his troop. The Scoutmaster maintains a list of those qualified to give tests and to pass candidates.
My emphasis on the last sentence.

Exactly right! However, whenever possible I want to have other Scouts working with the younger ones to help develop their skills (both in the subject and in training).

As a district trainer, I am interested to know which trainings you have completed? I won't bother finding the sylabus right now but I thought who could sign off requirements was covered in one or both of the Scoutmaster courses.

And, of course, WELCOME!!

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Re: Question... I'm a new ASM; what can I do to help?

Postby Bill Pitcher » Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Welcome to the forum, hikebarefoot. I'm just up the road from you in the Mid-Hudson Valley. I concur with the above advice. It's OK to work with your son, and have him invite his patrol or other Scouts of the same skill needs, when you do. This develops great friendships and gets things done. Working with your son ONLY is OK, but doesn't look good. I had two sons (both Eagles) who would ask for help, but always went to the SPL, another ASM, or Troop Guides to get things signed off. They knew that I was uncomfortable signing their books unless it was a patrol thing. Gook Luck and enjoy watching him grow.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms