1st class requirement 11

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

1st class requirement 11

Postby yearroundcamper » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:34 pm

For the 1st class requirement #11, do you actualy have to get a friend to join your troop? The requirement isn't specific on whether or not he has to join. It just says you have to tell him about the activities your troop does, tell him how to join, and invite him to a meeting or activity. I've been trying to get a friend to join for a few months but he refuses to join. Can someone who has done this requirement please reply?
yearroundcamper
Scout

Re: 1st class requirement 11

Postby Billiken » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:23 pm

As Scoutmaster, I only require the the Scouts make an honest and sincere effort to recruit someone.

The person you're talking to does not have to actually join.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:29 pm

#11 Tell someone who is eligible to join Boy Scouts, or an inactive Boy Scout, about your troop's activities. Invite him to a troop outing, activity, service project or meeting. Tell him how to join, or encourage the inactive Boy Scout to become active.

This requirement when it was first introduced caused a lot of confusion. It was added because it was felt that boys can sometimes be the best recruiters.

There is NO requirement for a boy to join or even come to a meeting or event. The BSA even has e-invites a scout can send to his friends which satisfies the requirement.

I have one scout in my troop who joined as a result of Req 11. He was never a Cub Scout.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:39 pm

1st Class Requirement 11 wrote:Tell someone who is eligible to join Boy Scouts, or an inactive Boy Scout, about your troop's activities. Invite him to a troop outing, activity, service project or meeting. Tell him how to join, or encourage the inactive Boy Scout to become active.

The requirement does not say the boy has to join. It doesn't even say he has to come to the meeting/activity to which he was invited.

If you talk to your friend, and he says he is not interrested and never wants to hear about that subject again, the requirement has still been fulfilled.

If the SM is requiring the boy to actually join, then they are adding to the requirements, which is forbidden by the advancement guidelines.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby yearroundcamper » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:54 pm

yearroundcamper
Scout

Postby evmori » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:23 am

Short answer no.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Apr 03, 2009 7:37 am

This is something I started doing many years ago. When I read a Requirement I read it as if I was the Kid. What would a 11 year old understand from reading it? We as adults try to over engineer everything.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:01 am

wagionvigil wrote:This is something I started doing many years ago. When I read a Requirement I read it as if I was the Kid. What would a 11 year old understand from reading it? We as adults try to over engineer everything.

Like I have said before it takes an adult to mess up a Kids program. :)
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby biglou » Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:06 pm

Nope. The boy just has to make the offer. I wish people would read the requirements for ranks and merit badges as they are written. Not try to reinvent the wheel and do what they think it should say.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms