Question on a service project

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Question on a service project

Postby TonicX57 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:29 pm

Hey, I can ask my Scout Master about this to make sure, but I just want to know if you guys think this would work for a service project. Primarily for the Eagle Scout service project since I would be leading it. Would it work if I made a website for my Troop?

Thanks,
TonicX57
TonicX57
Scout

Re: Question on a service project

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:36 pm

An Eagle scout project can not be for any scout organization or at a scout camp.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby TonicX57 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:37 pm

Ok, well would it work for Star and Life?
TonicX57
Scout

Postby 9009scoutmaster » Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:40 pm

Eagle Scout leadership service projects involving council property or other BSA activities are not acceptable for an Eagle service project. The service project also may not be performed for a business, be of a commercial nature, or be a fund-raiser.

Routine labor, or a job or service normally rendered, should not be considered. An Eagle service project should be of significant magnitude to be special and should represent the candidate's best possible effort.
1978 Eagle Scout
Former SM
GHL District Chattahoochee Council
SR-668
BEAVERS BUILD
9009scoutmaster
Life

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Tue Jul 15, 2008 9:23 am

As a service project, creating a unit Web site should be fine.

As a leadership project, no. Since you would be doing all of the work yourself, you would not be "leading" anyone.

Also, as others have mentioned, it could not be used as an Eagle project at all.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby TonicX57 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:12 am

Ok, thanks for the help.
TonicX57
Scout

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:23 am

You could use this as a Star/Life requirement but IMHO, this requirement is for scouts to go outside of scouting for "service to others" and to give the scout an idea on how he will have to put together his Eagle project. This is one reason why Eagle projects are allowed to meet this requirement. It is the SM approval that is required to proceed and remember there are rules about scout web sites that also must be followed.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:43 am

Isn't this 7D for the computer merit badge? Use it for that and go help a fellow scout with a real eagle project for your service hours.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby evmori » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:55 am

I'm not a big fan of building web site as service projects of any kind unless the builder has a plan to keep the info current after they are long gone from the unit.
Ed Mori
1 Peter 4:10
evmori
Gold Palm

Postby mt_goodrich » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:12 pm

evmori wrote:I'm not a big fan of building web site as service projects of any kind unless the builder has a plan to keep the info current after they are long gone from the unit.

There were quite a few folks in my Wood Badge course that wanted to use this as a ticket item....whether for their pack, troop or the district. The question posed to them was "how will this leave a legacy if you do not keep up with it or pass it onto someone that will maintain it?"
Mike
* Crew Advisor, Crew 2598 Longhorn Council
* Eagle Scout - 1982
mt_goodrich
Bronze Palm

Postby Cowboy » Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:59 pm

There is also a requirement for Communications MB that has to do with designing a webpage. Without the MB book in front of me, I may be in error on the specifics, but.... I seem to recall that the requirement is to design a web page for a service or product that interests you. If (as a higher ranking scout it should) Boy Scouts interests you and it is a service to the community, this should fit very well into the plan for someone working in the Communications MB. Our troop already has a Website, and we have designated one of our scribes as the Webmaster for his POR.
Cowboy
Eagle

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms