How Many Eagle Palms?

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

How Many Eagle Palms?

Postby pipestone1991 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:56 pm

How many Eagle Palms have you guys recieved? I have 30 mbs and if I get Eagle in 1 1/2 weeks,will have 1year, 10 months to earn a couple. I hope to be able to get 3 and then begin the transition from scout to scouter in my last year.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby scouter01 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:57 pm

its every 6 monthes right? i think ill have time for 4 perhaps ( at least)

im 13 ( 14 in jan) and will be life by december i think
scouter01
Eagle

Postby pipestone1991 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:01 pm

scouter01 wrote:its every 6 monthes right? i think ill have time for 4 perhaps ( at least)

im 13 ( 14 in jan) and will be life by december i think

Every 3 months, how close are you to Eagle?
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby scouter01 » Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:03 pm

excluding the project pretty muhc done :P(not much to do other than the project)

I am by far the youngest life in my troop so i think ill wait a little bit for the leadership postion don't want to take it from someone who needs it more..

but ill be life b4 i turn 14 so plenty of time.
scouter01
Eagle

Postby Mrw » Wed Oct 24, 2007 10:08 pm

My older son earned three and the younger one earned two.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby scoutaholic » Thu Oct 25, 2007 3:14 am

There are 121 MBs. With 21 required for Eagle, that leaves 100 for palms. One could, theoretically, earn 20 palms (and would then wear 6 silver palms and a gold one). In order to get all 20 palms, with the 3-month requirement for each, you would have to pass your EBOR before your 13th birthday (thus leaving you 5 years to earn palms before turning 18).

I've never known anyone who actually got 20 palms. I do know 1 person who earned all the MBs available when he was a scout, and other scouts have done it (3 or 4 make the news each year). I've never heard any of them mention how many palms they got.

My son has set the ambitious goal of earning all the MBs. However, he can't finish his Eagle before he turns 13, because it took some swimming practice time to earn 1st Class. On his current schedule, he will earn 19 palms.

I just checked our troop records, and the most anyone has gotten in recent history was 4 palms. One boy currently has 4, and has about a year in which he will continue earning some more.

I didn't get any palms as a boy, largely because I didn't pay attention to the timing and paperwork required. Had I paid attention to those things, I could have had about 4. I continue to do MBs along with the boys in our troop (although the BSA won't recognize that I have earned them.) I have now earned 60 MBs which would mean that I need 1 more for my 8th palm.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:49 am

scoutaholic wrote:I didn't get any palms as a boy, largely because I didn't pay attention to the timing and paperwork required.

Same here.

I earned 25 MBs as a Scout (when 24 were required for Eagle).
No palms earned as I stopped focusing on MBs and was much more involved with leadership/administrative stuff.

Our troop attend both Northern Tier canoe bases (when I was 15 and 17).
I was also in various district/council OA positions and attended almost all council and section conclaves.

Do I regret not getting a palm or two?
No.
I do regret not earning my religious medal.
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby ronin718 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:15 am

If Scoutaholic's calculations are correct, then my son has a chance at earning all 20 palms. He put on Star this month at 11 years, 8 months. That gives him 16 months to fulfill the six months for Life and six months for Eagle before his 13th birthday.

He has set personal goals of earning all 121 MBs and earning Eagle before he turns 13. Possible? Yes. Realistic? That I'm not so sure about. But the way I see it, my job is to facilitate his goals and enable him to achieve if he chooses to put forth the effort. That's why he's the youngest Star our troop has seen in quite some time.
ronin718
Eagle

Postby Chief J » Thu Oct 25, 2007 12:14 pm

scouter01 wrote:excluding the project pretty muhc done :P(not much to do other than the project)

I am by far the youngest life in my troop so i think ill wait a little bit for the leadership postion don't want to take it from someone who needs it more..

but ill be life b4 i turn 14 so plenty of time.

I do not see the logic in waiting for your leadership position. If you are interested in pursuing a leadership position, pursue it, do not be a martyr because someone else is older or needs it more.

There should be plenty of leadership positions to go around in a Troop, (Even a large troop).

Best Regards,
Chief J
Chief J
Bronze Palm

Postby scouter01 » Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:18 pm

I know but geting eagle on librarian seems weak.I guess you are right. they must not be very motivated.
scouter01
Eagle

Postby rreeder » Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:36 pm

I earned 7 palms

My oldes son, who just turned 18, earned 20 palms (yes, he earned all 121 MB). He actually earned his 20th pams 3 months after his 17th Birthday.

My youngest son, who is 15 1/2, has 11 Palms. He currently has 100 MB, and plans to earn them also and also earn 20 Palms

Bob Reeder
Moses Lake, WA
rreeder
Scout

Postby jr56 » Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:57 pm

I earned 3 palms.
My son earned 8, I think.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Re: How Many Eagle Palms?

Postby divermann » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:08 pm

With the knowledge, dedecation, encouragement from many great adults, I was able to earn 4 palms. Qudos to the great leaders from the old Chestnut Ridge District.
Eagle Scout w/ 4 Palms-1973
Former Chief Wagion #6-1977
Council Training Chairman
Council Aquatics Chairman
Asst Council Commissioner-Venturing/Exploring
Wood Badge, Sea Badge, & Powder Horn Trained
divermann
First Class

Postby bkale » Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:50 pm

I earned 4 palms before MBs started to loose their luster and leadership became more attractive to me.

When I earned my Eagle (back in early 80's) the earliest you could get Eagle was 13 1/2.

As an adult scouter, I enjoy wearing a silver and bronze palm on my Eagle knot. It always gets people to do a double-take and gives us a chance to talk more about scouting.
bkale
Scout

Postby owl scouter » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:19 pm

First, congrates to all of you that have earned palms or have the desire to do so :D ! My son earned 4 and could have done more, but was not much interested in earning merit badges his last year as the high adventure bug got him bad. He has been a Ranger at Philmont twice and also on the Sea Base staff and how has his degree from Ohio U in Out Door Rec Management. BSA had a real influence on that boy. The most anyone received while I was a scoutmaster 1995-98 was 8. I'm mostly a District and Council guy now so do not know who is earning what back at the troop level.
I have some bad news for those with a goal of earning 20 palms. No can do right now unless you earned some badges before that are now gone. I can't remember which one is gone, but I do know as of August 08 Architecture and Landscape Architecture are now the same. There are only 119 merit badges right now. Do the math and subtract 21 to get Eagle and 19 palms is now the limit. Some limit!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But now that I think about it, there is a way around this. Do you know merit badges are not retired!?!?!?!? If you can find a councelor, find a book that has the requirements, and find the badge you can earn some that are not officially listed right now. Even now some scouts are earning Bee Keeping as an example. That badge was taken off the list over 10 years ago. So I guess if you really tried you might be able to earn MORE THAN 20 palms!!!!! Now that would be something.

John
(owl-scouter)

John
owl scouter
First Class

Postby scoutaholic » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:49 am

owl scouter wrote:...I have some bad news for those with a goal of earning 20 palms. ... as of August 08 Architecture and Landscape Architecture are now the same. There are only 119 merit badges right now. ...

Architecture and Landscape Architecture are now printed in the same book, but still 2 separate badges. (Just like Music and Bugling have been in the same book for years, but are separate badges.)

I haven't heard any announcement of a discontinued MB. If there was one removed when they printed the new books, it would have been noticed and posted on the forums by now. Can anyone verify that a badge has or has not been discontinued?

I think there are still 121 MBs. If not, I'm sure the number will change again some time soon. Not that the number is sacred, or that 20 palms really matters. I've known of several scouts who have earned, or have set goals to earn all the MBs. The goal as I have heard it is always 'All the MBs'. I've never heard of one whos goal was 20 palms. (To do that, one would have to pass his EBOR before his 13th birthday. Few make that goal, let alone going on to earn 121 MBs.)
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby pipestone1991 » Sat May 08, 2010 3:39 pm

owl scouter wrote:First, congrates to all of you that have earned palms or have the desire to do so :D ! My son earned 4 and could have done more, but was not much interested in earning merit badges his last year as the high adventure bug got him bad. He has been a Ranger at Philmont twice and also on the Sea Base staff and how has his degree from Ohio U in Out Door Rec Management.

John

I ended up with 2 palms (they arent kidding when they say the various "fumes" and work/extracurrics/school take over in the upperclassman years). I'm going to OU in the fall!
Last edited by pipestone1991 on Sat May 08, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Sat May 08, 2010 5:31 pm

scoutaholic wrote:
owl scouter wrote:I think there are still 121 MBs. If not, I'm sure the number will change again some time soon.
No Merit Badges have been discontinued recently.

There were 121 before SCUBA Diving was added last year. Then the 4 Historic Badges were added, plus Scouting Heritage, and Geocaching. That brings the current total to 128.

Inventing is to be issued on June 17th, and Robotics is due to be issued early next year. So we'll be at 129 from June 17th until Robotics is issued, then 130 after that.

So you're wrong stating that there are only 121, but correct that the number will change soon.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby pipestone1991 » Sat May 08, 2010 10:41 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:
scoutaholic wrote:
owl scouter wrote:I think there are still 121 MBs. If not, I'm sure the number will change again some time soon.
No Merit Badges have been discontinued recently.

There were 121 before SCUBA Diving was added last year. Then the 4 Historic Badges were added, plus Scouting Heritage, and Geocaching. That brings the current total to 128.

Inventing is to be issued on June 17th, and Robotics is due to be issued early next year. So we'll be at 129 from June 17th until Robotics is issued, then 130 after that.

So you're wrong stating that there are only 121, but correct that the number will change soon.

His post was from 2008. haha At the time, he was correct.
Eagle ScoutGold Palm2007
Philmont 801-E2 2006
pipestone1991
Bronze Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Sun May 09, 2010 11:32 am

pipestone1991 wrote:His post was from 2008. haha At the time, he was correct.
OOPS!!! You're right. I missed the date.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Next

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms