First Class requirement 4

Scout Badge, Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, Life, and Eagle Palms.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

First Class requirement 4

Postby bearpatrolleaderinctown » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:08 pm

What are some recipies for this Requirement that you recomend
First Class Scout
Patrol Leader & SPL
bearpatrolleaderinctown
First Class

Postby PPC_NYLT » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:32 pm

umm...what is first class req 4. I dont have my handbook with me.
W

Eagle Scout~12/18/05
NYLT~The Youth Leader's Woodbadge

NAYLE~NYLT on the next level
WFA, SAR, COPE, History, Conservation and a trek in 1 week!

"Primus inter pares"
"First among equals"
PPC_NYLT
First Class

Postby bearpatrolleaderinctown » Sat Jan 13, 2007 7:42 pm

it is
Help plan a patrol menu for one campout that includes at least one breakfast, one lunch, and one dinner and that requires cooking at least two meals. Tell how the menu includes the foods from the food pyramid and meets nutritional needs.
Using the menu planned in requirement 4a, make a list showing the cost and food amounts needed to feed three or more boys and secure the ingredients.
Tell which pans, utensils, and other gear will be needed to cook and serve these meals.
Explain the procedures to follow in the safe handling and storage of fresh meats, dairy products, eggs, vegetables, and other perishable food products. Tell how to properly dispose of camp garbage, cans, plastic containers, and other rubbish.
On one campout, serve as your patrol's cook. Supervise your assistant(s) in using a stove or building a cooking fire. Prepare the breakfast, lunch, and dinner planned in requirement 4a. Lead your patrol in saying grace at the meals and supervise cleanup.
First Class Scout
Patrol Leader & SPL
bearpatrolleaderinctown
First Class

Postby Mrw » Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:50 pm

The menu would be anything you want to have.

Our troop favors oatmeal or pancakes for breakfast most of the time and sandwiches for lunch that are easy to make so they don't spend too much time cooking and cleaning mid-day.

Dinner can be anything from foil dinners to burgers to chili or stew.

Anything you want to make will fit the bill.

Use your imagination and choose foods you like to eat. Don't make it difficult, just do it!
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby joat » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:18 pm

"IF you bring an electronic other than camping devices and a cell phone you aint coming"

Why?
joat
Life

Postby jr56 » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:04 pm

Consult a cooking merit badge pamphlet.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby Lynda J » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:42 am

Also go to ScoutXing.com. They have a great list of things to cook.
Also look at the website for the Dutch Over Society.
your community is a tree. You are either a leaf that feeds it or mistletoe that suckes it dry. Be sure you are always a leaf.
Lynda J
Gold Palm

Postby AquilaNegra » Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:24 am

>>4a. Lead your patrol in saying grace at the meals and supervise cleanup.<<

Have a BOR coming up with a Scout whom I'm fairly certain hasn't done this -- least not the grace part. Same kid who leaves out "under God" during the Pledge. Yet his book has already been signed off. How would you handle that?
AquilaNegra

Postby FrankJ » Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:26 pm

Have a BOR coming up with a Scout whom I'm fairly certain hasn't done this -- least not the grace part. Same kid who leaves out "under God" during the Pledge. Yet his book has already been signed off. How would you handle that?

Ask how he accomplished the requirement. (This would be a review not a retest.) If he clearly didn't then take it up with the SM & have the scout perform the requirement, no more no less.

If the scout does not believe in god, then it is a different can of worms.

As for the menu, already some good suggestions. The Boy Scout Handbook also has a good section on menu planning.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:33 am

Unless you have proof that he did not say grace during the required meal you don't have a case. Did you observe the Scout or was it reported to you?

Speak with the SM about your concern that grace is not being as part of Req 4. The Scout in question may not be the only one not saying grace.

During a BOR you can ask him about applying the Scout Oath and Law. If you observed the Scout not saying under God during the Pledge, ask him at the BOR why he didn't. Be careful. The BOR is not an Inquisition.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby Hubert » Fri Jan 04, 2008 4:47 pm

I thought you can have ones own choice in religion. You do not have to believe in God to be in scouting, this I know. But you do have to have a religion right, I do know people who are athiest are not allowed, correct me if I am wrong please. However, I do not think you musty believe in God to be in scouting, so how can this requirement be legit? What if you do not believe in God, but believe in a different God? Would you say a grace pertaining to your religion? I am just unsure of this, because I have not come across it, but am wondering how you go about this.

(Please do not think I am insulting any religion, I know things are taken differently on how you read things, I do not want to be slammed for this, I am not in any way trying to slam anyone.)
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Fri Jan 04, 2008 5:30 pm

1) I agree that a BOR should not be an inquisition, but it is not a rubber stamp either. If valid issues are raised, they should be addressed.

2)Hubert, Duty to god in the scout oath implies a belief in god, not a specific religion. Since this skirting on the fringe of one the topics we are not supposed to discuss here, that is all I will say about this.
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:37 pm

If the requirement is signed off before the BOR then this can not be taken away from him and advancement can not be withheld because of this.
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby WVBeaver05 » Fri Jan 04, 2008 8:49 pm

ASM-142 wrote:If the requirement is signed off before the BOR then this can not be taken away from him and advancement can not be withheld because of this.

This is correct to my understanding. However, it is appropriate to see who signed off the requirement and discuss it with them. I have had several occassions where someone says "...oh, we can sign off xxxx on that requirement, he did yyyyy...." Where yyyyy is only part of the requirement. This is where I like to do a little training of that person (usually another adult leader) on "no more, no less".

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby ASM-142 » Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:59 am

I agree that who ever signed off on this requirement should be told about "no more, no less"

IMHO anyone who signs off on requirements should be trained on an annual basis to enforce "no more, no less"
If it is not written down then it is not an official rule
ASM-142
Bronze Palm

Postby Hubert » Sat Jan 05, 2008 7:29 pm

Ok Thank you FrankJ.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby scouter01 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:31 am

4a doesn't mention anyhting about graces. whats that talk about?

edit: oh it part of 4e

A grace doesn't have to include thanks to god, Its a thanks for food. correct?
scouter01
Eagle

Postby WeeWillie » Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:19 pm

If the Scout and the person who signed off the requirement deliberately ignored the requirement for grace, then the BOR can investigate and withhold advancement. A Scout is Trustworthy. We have Scouts and leaders who do not accept BSA's policy on religion. The policy does not state a Scout must be a member of an organized religous denomination but belief in God(s) is(are) a requirement.

The BOR is not a rubber stamp but without witnesses I don't see how you can prove a Scout did not lead grace?
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby mhjacobson » Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:34 pm

If a requirement is signed off,l the BOR MUST accept the signature. The issue is more with the person who did the signing than the scout in qustion. The SM is the person who confers the right to sign off scout requirements, and the SM is the person who can lift that right if it is being abused.
50 year+ scouter -- have held almost all adult leader positions in Cubs, Scouts, & Venturing, currently serving as Council Scouting for Youth with Disabilities Chair.
mhjacobson
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:21 pm

If a requirement is signed off,l the BOR MUST accept the signature.

I disagree. While a BOR is not an inquest or even a retest, if something is flagrantly missed, the BOR has a responsibility to correct it, signed off or not. Otherwise it would be a board of accolade (BOA) :) . Having said that I will agree that if a troop's pass rate for BORs is not close to 100% then the issue is with the SM or the committee & not the scout.

The BSA website has a training module BORs. It is worth reading. http://www.scouting.org/boyscouts/supplemental/18-625/index.html
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Return to Scout Badge, Tenderfoot through Life, and Eagle Palms