Adventure Base 100

Anything (awards, activities, celebrations, events, ideas) related to the 100th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, including the following, limited "2010 Historical" Merit Badge offerings: CARPENTRY, PATHFINDING, SIGNALING and TRACKING.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Adventure Base 100

Postby biglou » Fri May 07, 2010 3:55 pm

Personally, I am looking forward to seeing this in person. But I am wondering what people thought of this. I am looking at taking the Scouts and Venturers from my Troop and Crew to this when it comes to Pittsburgh. Please feel free to post.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Re: Adventure Base 100

Postby lambeausam » Tue May 11, 2010 2:49 pm

My sons and I attended the one in Chicago two weekends ago. It was held in conjunction with the Cinco de Mayo festival. We had a great time. The mini museum had great interactive tools and the ropes course was lots of fun!
lambeausam
Life

Postby kwildman » Mon May 17, 2010 10:50 am

i am working a shift at it this weekend when it comes to the Columbus, Zoo.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby Cowboy » Tue May 18, 2010 6:01 pm

We just got back with the Troop and Pack. Although the fact that it was a once in a life time opportunity did give a lot of pleasure to us, we felt that it was very much geared toward Cubs and non-scouts. The Cubs had a great time and lasted about 3 hours. The Troop went through everything and were done after about 1 hour. Still, once in a lifetime.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby kwildman » Mon May 24, 2010 5:04 pm

Ours was packed...yes geared towards the younger crowd but there was some good stuff in the museum and the trading post. The ropes were a big hit. Kids waited in line over an hour for that and also an hour wait to press a penny.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby robclarkcsm » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:29 pm

Very disappointed in the one held in Pittsburgh. We went over a month and a half ago. Green Screen pictures have yet to be seen. The online help center is a joke. Over all impression... another over hyped but extremely under delivered BSA event. :roll:
robclarkcsm
First Class

Postby VenturingL » Fri Oct 15, 2010 1:12 pm

My son, daughter, and I are volunteering tomorrow at Texas State Fair. Have read the posts so expect it to be geared to younger scouts/youth, but still looking forward to seeing it & the opportunity to get "the green shirts" seen.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby Reasonable Rascal » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:20 am

Actually made it not once but twice, in 2 different states. :D

Our council is out of Las Vegas; attended it there for the first time.

Months later we had new boys and most if not all of the troop were working on their Scouting Heritage MB. Visiting AB100 fulfilled one of the requirements (visit or write to and obtain info from...) so we took a 2nd group down to the AZ State Fair in Phoenix to make the 2nd visit.

RR
Boys can save lives when Scouting first saves them.
Reasonable Rascal
Star

Postby Hawkrod » Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:45 am

Reasonable Rascal wrote:Actually made it not once but twice, in 2 different states. :D

Our council is out of Las Vegas; attended it there for the first time.

Months later we had new boys and most if not all of the troop were working on their Scouting Heritage MB. Visiting AB100 fulfilled one of the requirements (visit or write to and obtain info from...) so we took a 2nd group down to the AZ State Fair in Phoenix to make the 2nd visit.

RR

I have to say, I think I got you beat! LOL MY wife signed up to work at the Rose Bowl and so I went along and spent hours fixing the penny pincher (there were some loose bolts that could not be tightened because it was mounted inside that plastic cube) and after we went to the Jamboree we spent a week in DC and there it was again down the hill from the Washington monument. I not only saw it twice but once on each coast! LOL

I will say that my boys flat loved it and it was a great experience that I would do over in a heartbeat.
Hawkrod
Scout

Return to 100 Years of Scouting, incl. 2010 Historical Merit Badges