"2010 Historical" Merit Badges

Anything (awards, activities, celebrations, events, ideas) related to the 100th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, including the following, limited "2010 Historical" Merit Badge offerings: CARPENTRY, PATHFINDING, SIGNALING and TRACKING.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: "2010 Historical" Merit Badges

Postby deweylure » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:01 pm

As a matter of fact 2 scouts in my troop had started the carpentry since the Advancement chair in council sent the requirements for all 4 badges out via e mail. I have had other e mails saying its on again then off again. The Councils MB academy is next Saturday,they officially pulled the offering of the badges this past Friday.

Why should Cowboy be embarrassed if the requirement changes. That's simple go and do the changed requirement.

IN my opinion who ever is in charge of this at National should get a letter out with some facts about this problem.
Remember the recent confusion with Toyota. Silence was worse than being forthcoming

DEwey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:34 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:Some further information:

I got this response to a query to the National Office, that explains in a bit more detail what the hold-up is.
We are working as fast as we can to get all the pieces and parts of this exciting 2010 anniversary activity activated. It isn’t on hold, just not ready to release yet. We have one final piece some volunteers are working on which is a guide to the original requirements that explains how it was back then compared to how it is now. We want this to be a real growth experience not just four more badges. We’re hoping we will be able to release this very soon.
I followed up with my contact today, with this note:
I know you're working to get the badges available. Thanks for the note you sent a couple of weeks ago.

Due to the delay in implementation, has any thought been given to changing the program deadline for completion of the badges from December 31, 2010, to, say, February 8, 2011 (or 2/28/11) to coincide with the end of the actual centennial, rather than the end of the calendar year?

As I'm sure you're aware, BSA has taken quite a but of flak online for the delays. Extending the deadline may be a way to divert some of the criticism.
I got this reply:
Hopefully any day now. Several people have suggested the extension so will have to consider
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby lifescoutforlife » Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:05 am

Several people??? I think the word he was looking for is "everyone"
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby scoutaholic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:02 am

I was in the Utah National Parks Council scoutshop today. They have the 2010 Historical MBs on the shelf for sale next to all the others. (They also have empty spots already labeled for the 4 new badges that have been announced but not released yet: scouting history, geocacheing, robotics, & inventing.)

I'm taking that as a good sign. The badges have been made and released. Now we just need paperwork.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby Billiken » Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:34 am

scoutaholic wrote:Now we just need paperwork.

Should be ready by Christmas. :wink:
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Quailman » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:03 am

I heard from someone in our troop that Troopmaster doesn't plan to add these MBs, yet they can count for rank advancement, so... Hopefully the person who relayed that tidbit to me was mistaken.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:13 am

Quailman wrote:I heard from someone in our troop that Troopmaster doesn't plan to add these MBs, yet they can count for rank advancement, so... Hopefully the person who relayed that tidbit to me was mistaken.

He was mistaken. Troopmaster has ALREADY added the 4 Historical Merit Badges in the most recent program updates. They are numbers 139-142.

BTW, the latest word I saw on Scouts-L was that they should be released by 4/1/2010, if not sooner.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:00 pm

http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2010/0 ... ogram.html

Latest non information on this program. They are planning on putting out all this other helpful info but there are still no official requirements or a date on when they might be released.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:36 am

smtroop168 wrote:http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/2010/03/update-bsa-historic-merit-badge-program.html

Latest non information on this program. They are planning on putting out all this other helpful info but there are still no official requirements or a date on when they might be released.

Thanks for the update!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby biglou » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:12 pm

From what I heard last week, the new "old" merit badge requirements should be out this week. I was at the Office and the District Director called down to Texas and spoke to the man in charge of this. Thus ends my rambling for the day!
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:46 am

Nothing like getting everything out 3 months late.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:51 am

biglou wrote:From what I heard last week, the new "old" merit badge requirements should be out this week. I was at the Office and the District Director called down to Texas and spoke to the man in charge of this. Thus ends my rambling for the day!

Hope they all got thier pay "This Week " because that week ended on March 27th and today is March 30th and still no requirements.
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby biglou » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:55 pm

I can't remember where exactly I saw it. But I believe the requirements will be out on April 1st. If not, then May 1st. If not May 1st, then my best bet would be December 1st. LOL!
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby biglou » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:57 pm

I just found my source. It was on my council's website.
Big Lou

biglou
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:00 am

biglou wrote:I can't remember where exactly I saw it. But I believe the requirements will be out on April 1st. If not, then May 1st. If not May 1st, then my best bet would be December 1st. LOL!

April 1st, Is this a early April Fool's joke?
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:27 am

The notice that I saw said: "by the begining of April". That could mean the first half of the month. I am no longer excited about it. The boys are no longer excited about it. This has turned into a big disappointment for our Troop. And I for one feel that the idea of extending the completion date is a cop out. That may suffice to give the guys the "full year to earn", but it has greatly detracted from the special nature of the badges.
Cowboy
Eagle

Re: "2010 Historical" Merit Badges - Finally Official!

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:52 pm

Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:41 am

LOL @nuts.

I'm actually glad to see them end on Dec 31. It's the only way they'd actually be 100th anniversary badges.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:29 am

And see what I told you...the requirements are not the same as those posted before particularly for Pathfinding.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby razor_strop » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:31 am

Thank goodness...it will be much easier under Pathfinding now to locate the local blacksmith, livery stable and telegraph office than to identify places to buy groceries, gasoline or get auto repairs. I see a great deal of short-shrifting the requirements to adapt them to modern life.

Did anyone else notice how on the Tracking flyer someone misaligned the tracks with the animals shown? Awesome.
razor_strop
Life

PreviousNext

Return to 100 Years of Scouting, incl. 2010 Historical Merit Badges