"2010 Historical" Merit Badges

Anything (awards, activities, celebrations, events, ideas) related to the 100th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, including the following, limited "2010 Historical" Merit Badge offerings: CARPENTRY, PATHFINDING, SIGNALING and TRACKING.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: "2010 Historical" Merit Badges

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:36 am

Some further information:

I got this response to a query to the National Office, that explains in a bit more detail what the hold-up is.
We are working as fast as we can to get all the pieces and parts of this exciting 2010 anniversary activity activated. It isn’t on hold, just not ready to release yet. We have one final piece some volunteers are working on which is a guide to the original requirements that explains how it was back then compared to how it is now. We want this to be a real growth experience not just four more badges. We’re hoping we will be able to release this very soon.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:18 am

Thanks for following up on this, Paul.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:21 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:Some further information:

I got this response to a query to the National Office, that explains in a bit more detail what the hold-up is.
We are working as fast as we can to get all the pieces and parts of this exciting 2010 anniversary activity activated. It isn’t on hold, just not ready to release yet. We have one final piece some volunteers are working on which is a guide to the original requirements that explains how it was back then compared to how it is now. We want this to be a real growth experience not just four more badges. We’re hoping we will be able to release this very soon.

Aaahhh...those pesky volunteers are the ones holding up progress. I know the boys are really waiting on getting their growth experience. :P
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:25 pm

lifescoutforlife wrote:Tick Tick Tick Tick OHHHHHHHHHHHHH it already 2011 !

Monday we will be down to 10 months left in 2010, maybe they should have made these MB's boy lead and they would have been "PREPARED" on 1/1/10
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:24 pm

Maybe I am misunderstanding all of this process, but isn't that part of what we are suppose to be teaching the boys as MBC's? I mean, they said they were not printing a MB Booklet, but apparently they are going to do one up to publish online? What really scares me is this: There are four MB's being brought out. Common sense says that as you get the "guide" done for one, you get it out there so the boys can begin to work on that one (tick tock) are they not done with the first one yet, or are they holding everthing up until they get them all done? Either way, not cool. But I guess that may be why I will never be elected as King of the BSA.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby deweylure » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:50 am

You have my vote Cowboy.

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby jr56 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Why is it, time after time, when dealing with National, the left hand does not know what the right hand is doing. It comes out looking like a disorganized mess.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby Cowboy » Thu Mar 04, 2010 5:08 pm

At least our motto is Be Prepared
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:46 pm

I just downloaded an update to Troopmaster. The 2010 MBs are in the update so I can credit them there but they are still not in Internet Advancement.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Cowboy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:47 am

My advancement lady just confirmed also. They show up in the Troopmaster. She sent in the advancement report to Council and they still can not get the MB's though. Progress?
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:45 am

Why do you send into council if the requirements have not been released? It seem kinda of hard to complete a merit badge if you do not know the requirements for the badge. No more, no less and all that. :)
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:36 am

For being " Historical" merit badges they have made a lot "History" already!
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:20 pm

As I have posted before (see Carpentry page) The requirements were posted. On 2 February they were posted on BSA.org/100years for about 5-6 hours. Therefore, they can have been completed based on those OFFICIALLY published requirements. Note that was over a month ago. I wish someone would give a public explaination for the delay and apologize to all of the boys for this inexcusable situation.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby Billiken » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:22 pm

Someone else on this forum once said:

When dealing with the BSA, BE PREPARED to be disappointed
"The only problem with Boy Scouts is, there aren't enough of them." Will Rogers
Billiken
Bronze Palm

Postby Cowboy » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:01 pm

As a sidenote to another discussion I was involved in last week. There was discussion regarding the dropping involvement and membership numbers. My money says that this type of thing is probably a bigger reason for dropping registration than the "difficult" requirements.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:16 pm

Cowboy wrote:As I have posted before (see Carpentry page) The requirements were posted. On 2 February they were posted on BSA.org/100years for about 5-6 hours. Therefore, they can have been completed based on those OFFICIALLY published requirements. Note that was over a month ago. I wish someone would give a public explaination for the delay and apologize to all of the boys for this inexcusable situation.

Did you not think it was strange that the MB info was pulled off the site after 5-6 hours? Did you not think it was prudent not to plow into these badges until all the details were finalized? There are lots of errors in web site postings including here and other non-official scouting sites. There are also errors in hard copy stuff like the brand new BSA handbook that lists Bugler as a POR for Eagle.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby deweylure » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:54 pm

It seems to me Cowboy is being jumped on for telling us what happened.
Relax. Like I tell people at work my crystal ball is in the shop and I can not read minds.

DEWEY
deweylure
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:20 pm

deweylure wrote:It seems to me Cowboy is being jumped on for telling us what happened.
Relax. Like I tell people at work my crystal ball is in the shop and I can not read minds.

DEWEY

Not jumping on but there have been numerous postings as far back as 2 FEB saying the program was being put on hold but he's plowed ahead. I hope he is not embarrassed should the "offical" requirements be different than the ones his scouts worked on.

No one is happy with this rollout...its going to happen and those scouts who want to earn 1 or all 4 of these badges will have plenty of time to do so.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:39 am

smtroop168 wrote:
Cowboy wrote:As I have posted before (see Carpentry page) The requirements were posted. On 2 February they were posted on BSA.org/100years for about 5-6 hours. Therefore, they can have been completed based on those OFFICIALLY published requirements. Note that was over a month ago. I wish someone would give a public explaination for the delay and apologize to all of the boys for this inexcusable situation.

Did you not think it was strange that the MB info was pulled off the site after 5-6 hours? Did you not think it was prudent not to plow into these badges until all the details were finalized? There are lots of errors in web site postings including here and other non-official scouting sites. There are also errors in hard copy stuff like the brand new BSA handbook that lists Bugler as a POR for Eagle.

Our Council (an official site) had them up until last week -- now there's a hold notice. But they were up for more than a month. I don't blame the Council at all -- they're trying to get info out.

The Scouts were excited about the badges. That's what we want! I can't imagine that the requirements are going to change too awful much, so we are continuing with our clinics and days. Some of us schedule far in advance -- why doesn't National?

But not responding to repeated requests for information is inexcusable. Seriously, how much time does something like this take? What the heck is the holdup? And are they actually going to be released? 5 mins to answer questions -- why are we in the dark? Or is it that they can't make any money off this particular project?
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:50 am

Echo. They have had other things on the BSA site without a link that say "coming soon" Pitch for Scouting, Commemorative Coin, etc. Heck they even have the postage stamp that is not yet available. The big issue I am having right now is the lack of communication. National did annnounce it, National did post it, albeit for a very short time, they then pulled the program and refuse to explain or communicate about it in any way. That is what is so rude to everyone Scouts and Scouters alike.
Cowboy
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to 100 Years of Scouting, incl. 2010 Historical Merit Badges