"2010 Historical" Merit Badges

Anything (awards, activities, celebrations, events, ideas) related to the 100th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, including the following, limited "2010 Historical" Merit Badge offerings: CARPENTRY, PATHFINDING, SIGNALING and TRACKING.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: "2010 Historical" Merit Badges

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Feb 05, 2010 12:37 pm

razor_strop wrote:Not to be overly snarky, but I seem to recall the BSA motto as "Be Prepared". I would have thought National would have all the major kinks worked out of something like this well before the Jan 01, 2010 start date.

ROTFLMAO
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby KKerby » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:14 pm

I am looking for more info on the historical merit badges. I had been talking with other Scout Leaders about teaching the older "scout" skills and have helped to bring back teaching "observation " skills at a few district ad council level events already. I have specifically talked about "tracking" and "pathfinder" skills. When the historical set of merit badges came out I was sent an e-mail from another Scout Leader to inform me. I have acknowledged that I would be glad to help in this area.
The only info I have is the requirements from the merit badge site. Is that all that is available?
My oldest son, who is crossing over in two weeks, will be able to earn them but my youngest son who will crossover next year cannot and he is already upset.
As my ancestors were scouts/frontiersmen/eastern longhunters, and as I served in the Marine Corps as a scout, and have worked with SAR operations and I am currently a member of a FEMA USAR team, I do not find the skills as completely outdated. Then again when we hear of a young boy getting lost what does one do? I really would like to see these two areas up-dated. As an example add to "Tracking" the behavior of lost personnel and search patterns. Another example might be to add to "Pathfinder" field sketching and how to set up an LZ for medical evacuation.
Just some food for thought. Am I the only one with these ideas? I do know the observation skills,, of teaching one to use their eyes and observation aids has gone over very well here and is going to be an event in our camporee.
Semper Fi - YIS,
Kerb
KKerby
Scout

Postby Cowboy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 11:35 am

You probably know, but tend to forget: Most of the pathfinding requirements can be found in the Citizenship in the Community MB, and most of the tracking can be found in the T21 reqeuiremnts. Regarding other skills: Our district has an emergancy prep Spring Camporee about every other year. The boys learn different skills each time some of which have been to help secure a medivac LZ & search and rescue in the woods.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:50 pm

Came across it by accident, but: In the official online catalog www.scoutstuff.org, they have the four Merit Badges listed and shown with a brief description of the program. Now if they would just get the actual requirements posted and let the guys get going on them.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:29 am

razor_strop wrote:Not to be overly snarky, but I seem to recall the BSA motto as "Be Prepared". I would have thought National would have all the major kinks worked out of something like this well before the Jan 01, 2010 start date.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby alex gregory » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:30 pm

The delay in officially introducing the 4 historical merit badges is absurd!

What is the reason for not simply earning the badges based on the most recent requirements? It's not like they are all that hard.

The badges should be open now, and data entry obstacles etc. can be worked out anytime.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:46 pm

Gotta get behind everyone else here, this has gone beyond obnoxious. They had requirements, they had MB #'s: hello, when a badge is retired so is the number. What is the hold up? Don't try feeding me a line about outdated stuff, anyone ever read the requirements for Metalwork? Work a sheet of bronze or copper? Who can actually afford to do that Merit Badge, and who will really use those skills? How about woodworking? As an amateur antique collector I have a brace and bit, but why not teach the boys how to use power tools instead? I just can not imagine what the hold up is. National has known that this year would be the Centenial for 100 years. That should have been enough time to BE PREPARED.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby lifescoutforlife » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:50 pm

Tick Tick Tick Tick OHHHHHHHHHHHHH it already 2011 !
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Postby deweylure » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:01 am

The problem I have is, it is a time sensitive badge. We are now 2 months into 2010 and that leaves 10 until it can not be earned any more. I was given a copy of requirements for the Centennial badges and a few scouts started. I even did paper work to be a counselor for the badges, and approved. Now we have a hold. Does anyone know for how long ?????

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby Cowboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:24 am

As soon as National gets Prepared.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 11:51 am

deweylure wrote:The problem I have is, it is a time sensitive badge. We are now 2 months into 2010 and that leaves 10 until it can not be earned any more. I was given a copy of requirements for the Centennial badges and a few scouts started. I even did paper work to be a counselor for the badges, and approved. Now we have a hold. Does anyone know for how long ?????

Dewey

C'mon everyone...none of these MBs will take as long as a Tenderfoot completing his Physical Fitness Requirement (30 days between tests). Pathfinding will take less than an hour which is shorter than a 2nd class service project. You can do all four in a weekend.

How did your council approve you to be a MBC for a badge that did not exist?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Cowboy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:47 pm

They exist, see my earlier post, you can even order them from scoutstuff.org. It may not take long, but in cases like our district, we have a MB Clinic scheduled for two weeks from now. We put Pathfinder on the list of MB's available, and printed the fliers. Now what? For the record: We waited an extra week to print because we wanted to make sure that the program was going ahead. The morning that the announcement went on BSA.org, we printed. That afternoon it was gone and replaced wth a notice that the program was on hold. Even more important than the frustration that we adults feel is the message that we (they) are sending to the boys.
Yes, I am very unhappy with national on this matter.
Cowboy
Eagle

Postby razor_strop » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:51 pm

C'mon everyone...none of these MBs will take as long as a Tenderfoot completing his Physical Fitness Requirement (30 days between tests). Pathfinding will take less than an hour which is shorter than a 2nd class service project. You can do all four in a weekend.

That's assuming the boy already knows Morse and Semaphore Codes. I'd be pretty impressed to see a boy that has no experience in either code be able to send and receive Morse at less than two seconds a letter without the dits and dahs written in front of him, and send and receive Semaphore at two seconds a letter, and do so in a single weekend. The Tracking requirements would almost require one to live next door to a game preserve to track and photograph the number of animals listed.
razor_strop
Life

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:43 pm

razor_strop wrote:

That's assuming the boy already knows Morse and Semaphore Codes. I'd be pretty impressed to see a boy that has no experience in either code be able to send and receive Morse at less than two seconds a letter without the dits and dahs written in front of him, and send and receive Semaphore at two seconds a letter, and do so in a single weekend. The Tracking requirements would almost require one to live next door to a game preserve to track and photograph the number of animals listed.

It's harder than it looks. If the badge is done properly, they have to actually know the code rather than simply find letters and send them out. My boys both have partials there, from an approved merit badge counselor (so, yes, Districts are approving them). They're smart kids and have both been working on the Morse trainer (http://www.g4fon.net/) for about 4 weeks now - with probably another 6 to go to be proficient.

If you think Pathfinding will take less than an hour, maybe the boys would benefit from longer "demonstrations" (most of the badge is demonstrating the skill). Or, actually talking to people about the city's history, reading a good book about it, visiting the historic places, etc. *CAN* you do it in an hour? Maybe. If you don't want them to actually learn anything. The map itself should take near an hour to find and label all the places.

Don't forget that Tracking requires stalking SKILLFULLY. There's a good guide, from Princeton, here: http://www.princeton.edu/~oa/nature/naturobs.shtml. With the exception of boys who hunt or are active birdwatchers, this is a time-consuming requirement.

Let's not shortchange those Scouts we're counseling. The merit badge is not about a piece of cloth; it's about acquiring new skills and information.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:53 pm

Your troop is in Carlisle - Wow! The history that those boys could learn. Dickinson has a whole repository of information: http://carlislehistory.dickinson.edu/?page_id=9
There's a GREAT oral history professor there: Kim Lacy Rogers. She's an amazingly interesting person and very nice. I'd bet she would happily come in and talk to your boys. Plus, there is the Army Heritage and Education Center right there. What fantastic opportunities for your troop!

Our town has a permanent population of about 5,000 (twice that in the summer), and even this little place has books about it, photos of the town from 70 years ago hung up on the barber shop wall, old fogeys ;-), historians, and areas rich with history.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby deweylure » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:37 pm

Yes they exist . I received an E mail from the council last week seeking counselors . I already do woodworking and home repairs etc. I looked at the requirements I was given and signed up.

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby ThunderingWind » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:26 pm

smtroop168 wrote:Req 4 EPrep MB

Well, ok, sort of. I was looking for IR panels, strobe beacons, proper hand signals, hand signals at nigth with IR/flashlights etc.

Generally, the boys only learn mirror/cd flashes, smoke and bright color strips. And if they use the mirror, they do not know morse code well enough to tell the air crew whats happening/needed or warn of any dangers.

Nobody teaches how to lay out the panels to indicate the proper landing approach or the hand signals.

Pathfinders should know how to sling load the injured if the helo can not land.

These in-depth skills are missing from Scouting.

At least require the info to be in a water proof "Ranger," "Pathfinder" or "Special Forces" manual AND carried by each member of the outing. I do not leave home without them.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby RWSmith » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:07 pm

This thread has grown a bit "crowded"... So, it's time (maybe even a little late) for each of the MBs have it's own thread...

Please post questions and comments (or concerns and complaints) regarding the "2010 Historical" Merit Badges --PROGRAM-- here, in this thread.

Separate threads have now been created for each MB; here are the links:

Please post your MB-specific questions and comments concerning these MBs in their respective threads. Thanks.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:04 pm

Anyone heard if this has been rereleased?
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Cowboy » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:52 pm

Not yet. I keep checking the BSA.org/100years site and so far they keep adding other things, but nothing about this.
Cowboy
Eagle

PreviousNext

Return to 100 Years of Scouting, incl. 2010 Historical Merit Badges