"2010 Historical" Merit Badges

Anything (awards, activities, celebrations, events, ideas) related to the 100th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, including the following, limited "2010 Historical" Merit Badge offerings: CARPENTRY, PATHFINDING, SIGNALING and TRACKING.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: "2010 Historical" Merit Badges

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:45 pm

Both versions of the process are floating here in the NCAC.

Y'all should have seen the line at the Scout shop when the delivery truck showed up.

Everybody wanting to get "thiers" before everyone else.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby Mrw » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:10 am

We got all ours who were going to finish done before Christmas. So all the advancement has been turned in by now. I do have a couple more patches on order though, as they were short of Carpentry and Pathfinding when I was at the Scout shop. We also had a rash of boys panicking to finish ranks before the end of the year to earn the dated rank patches too.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby Frank99 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:54 pm

I ran a Carpentry Merit Badge Class back in November for my Troop. I provided the scouts with the info on building a project in October. Most scouts did their project and brought it to the class and were signed off on the badge.

There is a scout with disabilities who wanted to complete it, his father called me January 2nd and asked if I would meet with them.

I called our committee chair to seek his advice on this to see if it was allowed to done after 2010. He told me no, and he would put a stop to it knowing it was not completed in time. We discussed his handicap and felt it did not apply here; His father should have called me before the deadline.

The Scoutmaster sent out an email with news and advancements, this scout was listed as completing the badge. I emailed Scoutmaster Joe and was concerned how he got the badge. I gave him a partial BC. He told me they found a counselor in New Jersey who signed off on it. He never did contact me to discuss why I would not complete it. I wanted too but felt it would not be right to backdate a BC. This is supposed to be scouting.

He emailed me back and felt since the scout completed the project last year, he should receive full credit for it. I told him this makes me look bad in that scouts eyes.

Another scout emailed me last night wanting to complete it. I emailed the Scoutmaster and asked what to do.
What is the right thing to do? If the scout says he finished before the end of the year do I sign the Blue Card? What dates go on the card?

Frank Toto
Troop 33
Hudson Valley Council, NY
Frank99
Scout

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:21 pm

They obviously did an end-run on you. But if the scout got the blue card signed off by a qualified and certified MBC, its a done deal...what date he signed on it is between him and his conscience.

The second one is simple...I'm assuming the last thing he needs is to show you a completed project. If he can show through "credible evidence" that he completed all the requirements prior to 12/31/10, then you can/should sign him off. If the "credible evidence" is shaky, you are under no obligation to sign the card. You must date it 12/31/10 or before or it won't fly in the BSA advancement system.

The BSA is giving units/councils until 3/31/11 to get all the paperwork in.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:15 pm

I guess they anticipated this sort of situation when they made the deadline 3/31.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Previous

Return to 100 Years of Scouting, incl. 2010 Historical Merit Badges