"2010 Historical" Merit Badges

Anything (awards, activities, celebrations, events, ideas) related to the 100th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, including the following, limited "2010 Historical" Merit Badge offerings: CARPENTRY, PATHFINDING, SIGNALING and TRACKING.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

"2010 Historical" Merit Badges

Postby razor_strop » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:58 am

RWSmith wrote:ADMIN INSERT: Please post questions and comments (or concerns and complaints) regarding the "2010 Historical" Merit Badges --PROGRAM-- here, in this thread.

Separate threads have now been created for each MB; here are the links:

Please post your MB-specific questions and comments concerning these MBs in their respective threads. Thanks.

At our Roundtable this evening, one of the Council Scouters mentioned he had heard that BSA is bringing back 4 retired merit badges for the 2010 Centennial celebration -- stalking, carpentry, pathfinding and signaling. They can only be earned from 01 Jan 10 to 31 Dec 10, and the requirements will only be posted on-line (no pamphlets). They will have a gold border to indicate their "special" status. I've Googled since I got home and haven't found any info corroborating his announcement. Has anyone else heard of this?
Last edited by RWSmith on Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: 1) Changed subject title and upgraded to "Sticky" topic; 2) Added ADMIN INSERT.
razor_strop
Life

Re: Centennial Year Merit Badges

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Jan 08, 2010 8:28 am

I have heard nothing on this and if this is so Paul Wolfe should know about it.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Fri Jan 08, 2010 10:22 am

I heard that they put a new spin on these old badges to make them relevant to these times and the one is now Cyber-stalking. LOL
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:04 am

razor_strop wrote:At our Roundtable this evening, one of the Council Scouters mentioned he had heard that BSA is bringing back 4 retired merit badges for the 2010 Centennial celebration -- stalking, carpentry, pathfinding and signaling. They can only be earned from 01 Jan 10 to 31 Dec 10, and the requirements will only be posted on-line (no pamphlets). They will have a gold border to indicate their "special" status. I've Googled since I got home and haven't found any info corroborating his announcement. Has anyone else heard of this?

wagionvigil wrote:I have heard nothing on this and if this is so Paul Wolfe should know about it.

Wagionvigil, you spelled my name wrong, but I do have info on this.

What razor_strop heard was basically correct, except the names will apparently be "Signaller" not "Signalling" and "Tracking" not "Stalking". Pathfinding and Carpentry should be the other two, as he heard, and the other info matches what I've seen. The 12/31/2010 date to complete is a fixed deadline - NO partials after that date. The badges WILL count toward advancement if earned during 2010.

I have seen the draft requirements and some preliminary flyers about the program, but have agreed not to post the details of the requirements until the official BSA Announcement is made, which should be any day now. As soon as the announcement is made, I'll post pages with the details on the USSSP, and make announcements on this discussion board, Scouts-L, rec.scouting.usa, the USSSP discussion board, TM-TUG, the USSSP Blog, an a couple of other yahoo groups, probably.

On a related side note,the 2010 BOY SCOUT REQUIREMENTS" booklet should be available at Scoutstuff.org on the 18th of January, and in the Scout Shops on or shortly after that date. The item number has changed again, and will apparently be 34765.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby razor_strop » Fri Jan 08, 2010 12:50 pm

Paul, thanks for the info!
razor_strop
Life

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Paul sorry about the Spelling
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:54 am

PaulSWolf wrote:What razor_strop heard was basically correct, except the names will apparently be "Signaller" not "Signalling" and "Tracking" not "Stalking". Pathfinding and Carpentry should be the other two, as he heard, and the other info matches what I've seen. The 12/31/2010 date to complete is a fixed deadline - NO partials after that date. The badges WILL count toward advancement if earned during 2010.

I have seen the draft requirements and some preliminary flyers about the program, but have agreed not to post the details of the requirements until the official BSA Announcement is made, which should be any day now. As soon as the announcement is made, I'll post pages with the details on the USSSP, and make announcements on this discussion board, Scouts-L, rec.scouting.usa, the USSSP discussion board, TM-TUG, the USSSP Blog, an a couple of other yahoo groups, probably.

On a related side note,the 2010 BOY SCOUT REQUIREMENTS" booklet should be available at Scoutstuff.org on the 18th of January, and in the Scout Shops on or shortly after that date. The item number has changed again, and will apparently be 34765.

Paul, I thought the new badges for 2009-10 were Scouting Heritage, Scuba, Robotics, GIS, and Inventing. Four more beyond that??? So, a total of 130 badges available?

Oh boy.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby PaulSWolf » Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:46 pm

AquilaNegra2 wrote:Paul, I thought the new badges for 2009-10 were Scouting Heritage, Scuba, Robotics, GIS, and Inventing. Four more beyond that??? So, a total of 130 badges available?

Oh boy.
Yes, by the end of 2010, there could be 130 available, but then it will drop to 126 in 2011, if no current badges are dropped. Remember, the four "Historic" badges are for 2010 ONLY - NO partials valid for advancement after 12/31/2010.

And one of the four you mentioned isn't scheduled to be available until the 4th Quarter of 2010 at the earliest.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:33 pm

PaulSWolf wrote:
AquilaNegra2 wrote:Paul, I thought the new badges for 2009-10 were Scouting Heritage, Scuba, Robotics, GIS, and Inventing. Four more beyond that??? So, a total of 130 badges available?

Oh boy.
Yes, by the end of 2010, there could be 130 available, but then it will drop to 126 in 2011, if no current badges are dropped. Remember, the four "Historic" badges are for 2010 ONLY - NO partials valid for advancement after 12/31/2010.

And one of the four you mentioned isn't scheduled to be available until the 4th Quarter of 2010 at the earliest.

Thanks. #1 is trying to earn all the badges, and is due to finish them 2 weeks shy of his 18th birthday -- in mid-November. My fear is that one gets added in August or September that has a time requirement, or that the addition of the Centennial ones will simply be too much (especially considering that in years past the requirements tended to be much more stringent.) Looks like he may need to revise his plans.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby PaulSWolf » Sun Jan 10, 2010 7:24 pm

AquilaNegra2: Contact me off-list at pwolf@usscouts.org

A quick glance at the Historic Badge requirements indicates to me that they shouldn't be too difficult.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:43 pm

"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:17 pm

Just to add to what was posted above:

BSA announced today, via the Scouting Magazine Blog at http://blog.scoutingmagazine.org, that, in honor of the BSA’s 100th Anniversary, today’s generation of Scouts will get the unique opportunity to experience some of the activities their predecessors enjoyed. That’s possible thanks to the BSA’s new Historical Merit Badge Program, a set of four discontinued merit badges that today’s Scouts can earn.

Boys can earn any or all of these merit badges:
Signaling
* First offered in 1910 (as Signaller merit badge) and discontinued in 1992.

Tracking
* First offered in 1911 (as Stalker merit badge) and discontinued in 1952.

Pathfinding
* First offered in 1911 and discontinued in 1952.

Carpentry
* First offered in 1911 and discontinued in 1952.

The US Scouting Service Project has posted the requirements for these badges and Scouts can start working on them NOW. See http://usscouts.org/meritbadges.asp for links to the badge requirements.

The basics of the 2010 Historical Merit Badge program include:

* The merit badges will closely resemble the original designs of the merit badges with the exception of the borders. The borders will be embroidered with a shiny gold thread that will be immediately identifiable as a 2010 Historical Merit Badge.
* The original merit badge requirements will be used wherever possible. Exceptions will be made when current safety or social standards dictate. Adaptations can also be made for special needs Scouts.
* The merit badges will count for towards a boy’s rank advancement.
* Work on the badges is not to commence prior to January 1, 2010 and is to be finished no later than December 31, 2010.
* The Supply Division will not create or reprint pamphlets for the merit badges. Any and all material will be posted to a special section of the 100th Anniversary web site that can be accessed by the interested boys and their merit badge counselors.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby razor_strop » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:45 am

Thanks Paul!
razor_strop
Life

Postby jr56 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:42 pm

Thanks for the info.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby alex gregory » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:53 pm

Looking at the 4 Histrorical badges being brought out of retirement, they should be pretty easy to earn by 12/31/10.

Pathfinder looks like a no-brainer - basically comes down to giving directions in your neighborhood. Easy to work all the requirements into Citizenship in Community.

Tracking is a pretty easy outdoor merit badge that can be earned on just about any campout or hike. The nature photography game looks like it could be a fun activity.

Carpentry is a cinch. Not that much harder then what the guys had to do in Webelos.

Signalling is about the only merit badge that may require a little extra effort, but still very doable. The hurdle to overcome I think is dealing with the now alien concept of morse code. If you work it into a patrol competition event I think it could be a lot of fun.

I think we'll try to work on all four merit badges over the Centennial year.
alex gregory
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:19 pm

Signalling was a 1st class requirement. Send and receive a message of at least 20 words using either international Morse or semaphore codes and necessary procedure signals

Trailing/Tracking/Stalking (need to do 2 of 3) was a 2nd Class requirement

Trailing: follow for a half mile a trail made with trail signs or by a person wearing tracking irons or dragging a whifflepoof

Tracking: follow for a quarter mile the track of a person or animal in soft ground or snow reading the main meaning of the track

Stalking: follow another scout who knows that you are stalking him for a distance of a half mile without being seen by him
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:03 pm

Old requirements for the MB are here:

Pathfinding
Stalking
Carpentry
Signaling

The new requirements look pretty much identical.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby biglou » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:13 pm

This just popped into my head. If the "Throwback" merit badges are successful, are they going to send them to the merit badge graveyard? Just curious.
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby John F. » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:35 pm

Where are they going to find counselors for these merit badges? My council takes 3 to 5 months to approve someone.
John Furlong
Asst. Scout Master

Alice: "How long is forever?"
White Rabbit: "Sometimes just a second."
John F.
Star

Postby PaulSWolf » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:47 pm

John F. wrote:Where are they going to find counselors for these merit badges? My council takes 3 to 5 months to approve someone.
Here is part of the implementation plan being sent to councils:

Each unit, district, and council will be encouraged to identify qualified counselors for the badges.

Badges may be earned by individual Scouts, but districts and councils are encouraged to offer opportunities to work on at least some of these merit badges at summer camp or special Anniversary celebration

MERIT BADGE COUNSELORS

Counselors should be lined up by the councils, districts, and units as soon as possible. While it might be possible to put out an appeal and come up with some qualified people, it might be wiser for the Advancement Committees to recruit specific people who are currently engaged as counselors to similar merit badges. Some suggestions include:

Historical Badge - Related Offering
Carpentry - Woodwork and Home Repairs
Pathfinder - Emergency Preparedness
Signaller - Communications & Radio
Tracking - Orienteering & Citizenship in the Community

Another idea might be to visit with some local groups to see if they will offer ongoing support or sponsorship of one of the merit badges. Some ideas include:
Carpentry—contact your local Carpenter’s Union or a cabinet making business to see if they could commit time and resources during 2010.
Pathfinder—work with your local Homeland Security office. Several of the requirements fit their safety tips and programs.
Signaler—work with a local amateur Ham radio groups. Some of these groups may already participate in our annual Jamboree on the Air.
Tracking—your state’s department of natural resources or wildlife is an obvious choice.

Don’t be afraid to do some brainstorming here. The groups you approach may turn out to be great resources you can utilize for years to come with potential impact on all three traditional programs as well as Friends of Scouting.

HISTORICAL MERIT BADGE VENUES

While any of the four offerings could be earned by a lone boy working with a single counselor, to insure every boy having the opportunity to earn one or more of the badges during 2010, the following should be considered:

Work with your council’s Camping Committee and encourage the inclusion of the Historical Merit Badges in 2010 summer camp offerings. None of the badges require much in the way of resources and will provide new opportunities for older boys who have been attending summer camp for years.

Encourage each district to incorporate one or more of the badges into their camporee offerings in 2010. Their inclusion might provide some fresh opportunities for your experienced Scouts.

If your council, like many, is conducting a large, all council celebration event during 2010, see that the Historical Merit Badges are part of the program. Once again, none of the badges require significant resources and will give you an opportunity to enhance the programs for little extra expense.

See if one or more of the merit badge sponsors described above will hold Historical Merit Badge clinics for the badge they sponsor. Might the local union open their training facility and provide the tools and guidance needed for a large group of boys to earn the badge? Could not the same be done by any of the other sponsors?

If you have a local Scouting museum, ask it to sponsor one or more Historical Merit Badge Days. Use volunteers recruited by the Advancement Committee to staff the stations.

If your council or district holds regular Merit Badge Workshops, either incorporate the Historical Badges into your 2010 offerings or add another workshop dedicated to this program.

Encourage your local units to support this program as well. Some of your units already work on merit badges during their meetings. In additional to traditional badges being offered in this fashion, ask them to add the Historical badges.

Consider offering the merit badges at council training events scheduled during 2010 like University of Scouting, Show and Do, College of Commissioner Science, etc. Take advantage of significant gatherings of Scouts by providing opportunities for boys earn one or more badges.

Pick a city park as an offering site and choose one or more badges that can be completed in the space allotted. It will be a great way to promote Scouting in your community and provide an easy to attend spot.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Next

Return to 100 Years of Scouting, incl. 2010 Historical Merit Badges