100th Anniversary Patches

Anything (awards, activities, celebrations, events, ideas) related to the 100th Anniversary of the Boy Scouts of America, including the following, limited "2010 Historical" Merit Badge offerings: CARPENTRY, PATHFINDING, SIGNALING and TRACKING.

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

100th Anniversary Patches

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:57 pm

100th Anniversary awards, available to be earned starting September 01. #1 is already planning his out :-).

Link: BSA's 'A Year of Celebration - A Century of Making a Difference' Patch Requirements
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Re: 100th Anniversary Patches

Postby kwildman » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:30 pm

saw this at a council key 3 meeting last night. The coolest thing about this is that they can be earned by everyone including scout alumni! Great way to get those past scouters to reconnect with BSA and strengthen your unit and hopefully FOS. :D
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:53 am

Anyone have any more information than what is on the brochure page?

Specifically, in the sections calling for earning badges, if a Scout already has all the badges, does that fulfill the requirement? Or, must it be earned during the award period?

And, if a Scout is currently working on the Family Life badge, can he use that for his Family Project (double dipping)?

Or, are these things left up to the Advancement Chair (me) :twisted: ? Anyone have anything in writing from National?
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:10 am

Double dipping for this would not be an issue for me. Generally it is allowed unless specifically not. For Venturing awards, it is generally encouraged.

From the phrasing of the requirements, I would take it to mean that they should be earned during the "year of celebration" -- 9-1-2009 to 12-31-2010. I might make an exception for one or two requirements that can't really be repeated, like earn your religious award, but I would expect something comparable to replace it.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:43 am

AquilaNegra2 wrote:Anyone have any more information than what is on the brochure page?

Specifically, in the sections calling for earning badges, if a Scout already has all the badges, does that fulfill the requirement? Or, must it be earned during the award period?

And, if a Scout is currently working on the Family Life badge, can he use that for his Family Project (double dipping)?

Or, are these things left up to the Advancement Chair (me) :twisted: ? Anyone have anything in writing from National?

Remember this is not an advancement program. Still can't add to or subtract from the requirements though. :)

To get credit, the items must be done during the time period listed, otherwise just go on down and by them for all your scouts now.

My Favorite One......"Attend 90 percent of your troop or team meetings for three consecutive months." So much for Active=Registered. :lol:

Our scout shop says its up to the leaders to figure out who gets what...no advancement report is required to by them. I made a spreadsheet for our troop and started to fill in stuff from Sept to now.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:50 am

Thanks. I'll just go with what you said until I'm told otherwise. lol.

Issue is a Scout who already has all the badges listed in some of the requirements. I'll just tell him he needs to choose one of the other options.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby joat » Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:38 pm

smtroop168 wrote:My Favorite One......"Attend 90 percent of your troop or team meetings for three consecutive months." So much for Active=Registered.
A Scouting internet myth ... No place anywhere does BSA say "active equals registered".
joat
Life

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:22 pm

joat wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:My Favorite One......"Attend 90 percent of your troop or team meetings for three consecutive months." So much for Active=Registered.
A Scouting internet myth ... No place anywhere does BSA say "active equals registered".

Wrongo...Page 24 of the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures

" A Scout will be considered to be "active" in his unit if he is:

1. Registered in his unit (registration fees are current)
2. Not dismissed form his unit for disciplinary reasons
3. Engaged by his unit leadership on a regular basis (informed of unit activities through Scoutmaster conference or personal contact etc)
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:26 pm

AquilaNegra2 wrote:Thanks. I'll just go with what you said until I'm told otherwise. lol.

Issue is a Scout who already has all the badges listed in some of the requirements. I'll just tell him he needs to choose one of the other options.

That's why there are multiple options so that all scouts can qualify if they want. If you went on his entire scouting history for example, my son can get all of the ribbons now.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby joat » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:03 pm

smtroop168 wrote:Wrongo...Page 24 of the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures

3. Engaged by his unit leadership on a regular basis (informed of unit activities through Scoutmaster conference or personal contact etc)
Thanks for posting the whole thing... Like I said, "active = registered" is a myth ... there's a lot more to it.
joat
Life

Postby Bill Pitcher » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:52 pm

Hey guys, you can download the spread sheet for these ribbons for the 100th. Aniversary Patch from the web site listed above. It's in color, too!
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:12 pm

joat wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:Wrongo...Page 24 of the Advancement Committee Policies and Procedures

Thanks for posting the whole thing... Like I said, "active = registered" is a myth ... there's a lot more to it.
In fact, the new Boy Scout Requirements booklet (page 20) has added even more in clarifying statements:

A Scout will be considered "active" in his unit if he is

2. Not dismissed from his unit for disciplinary reasons
3. Engaged by his unit leadership on a regular basis (informed of unit activities through Scoutmaster conference or personal contact, etc.
4. In communication with the unit leader on a quarterly basis.

(Units may not create their own definition of active; this is a national standard.)

If the Scout does not initiate communication, the unit leader is to contact the Scout and ask if the youth wishes to remain in Scouting. If the answer is negative, then the unit leader should no longer communicate with the Scout. If the answer is affirmative, the unit leader should provide the unit calendar. After six months of nonparticipation, the unit leader may cease to contact with the youth and drop the Scout from the unit at recharter time.

The Scout may return to the unit at any time while on the unit charter. At any time a Scout is dropped from a charter, the youth may re-apply to a unit for readmission; the acceptance of the application is at the discretion of the unit. The youth would be reinstated at the rank and level that can be documented by either the Scout or the unit.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Return to 100 Years of Scouting, incl. 2010 Historical Merit Badges