Ad Altare Dei

This forum is for discussing any of the many Religious Awards requirements, including tips and techniques. Do NOT use this forum for preaching, proselytizing, questioning or criticizing any religion(s).

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for discussing any of the many Religious Awards requirements, including tips and techniques. Do NOT use this forum for preaching, proselytizing, questioning or criticizing any religion(s).

Ad Altare Dei

Postby Old Beaver » Sat Aug 22, 2009 6:47 pm

I've started the Ad Altare Dei emblem program with a group of five Scouts. I went introduced the program (making sure a parent was also attending this part) and walked through the requirements, which are very extensive. I'm attaching my summary below, but I'd welcome thoughts, ideas and suggestions from other AAD counselors. Thanks!

Ad Altare Dei Religious Emblem Program
St. Perpetua Catholic Church
Lafayette, California

Program Overview

A Brief History of the Ad Altare Dei Medal
•1926-developed for altar boys by Rev. James Dolan, Archdiocese of Los Angeles
•1939-adopted by the US Church and BSA (first religious emblem)
~ First Class Scouts, must know Latin mass, 250 hours of altar service
•1941-first emblems presented
•1946-requirements revised
~First Class Scouts, 1 year of service to parish, understand doctrine
•1966-requirements revised
~Emphasis on the 7 Sacraments
•1988/93-program revised to current format
•Over 300,000 Ad Altare Dei emblems have been awarded since 1939

Program Goal
•AAD goal: help Scouts grow in their faith, relating knowledge of our faith to our lives.
•AAD approach: relate experiences in life and Scouting to our faith
•Focus on the 7 Sacraments—the primary ways Catholics encounter Christ and grow in our faith.

Program Structure
•Get sign-off from parents, Scout Master and Pastor
•Share growth experience as part of Scout Master conference and get sign-off
•8 Chapters to Scout Manual-introduction and a chapter for each Sacrament
•Most work will be done in group sessions, however some requirements to attend a prayer service, mass, prepare a collage, video, play, poster, etc.
•Attend a retreat or day of recollection
•Bring a Catholic Bible to sessions
•Board of Review at the Diocese offices in Oakland (January 30, 2010)

"Introibo ad altare Dei, ad Deum qui laetificat juventutem meam"

"I will go unto the altar of God, to God Who gives joy to my youth."
Psalm 43, part of preparatory prayer before the Tridentine Mass
Jim
Woodbadge WE3-23-08 (Beaver Patrol)
ASM, Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Old Beaver
Tenderfoot

Re: Ad Altare Dei

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:40 pm

We've run a successful AAD and Pope Pius program over the past three years. Our key has been our Advisors interest level (which you have) and holding the scout's feet to the fire so they all are progressing at the same rate. Our Pastor have been overwhelmingly supportive including assigning one of the other priest as our liaison. This priest has set up visits to the seminary, joins in the regular discussions and sits in on the BORs.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Old Beaver » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:58 pm

As I’ve further explored the Ad Altare Dei program, I’ve found a very helpful resource to counselors. The National Catholic Committee on Scouting (NCCS) offers significant materials relating to the various Catholic religious emblems programs and Catholic Scouting in general. If religious medals counselors are interested in learning more about Catholic Scouting emblems, activities and events, then http://www.NCCS-BSA.org. Interested Scouters with a Facebook account can also join the NCCS network by becoming a fan. NCCS also publishes an eNews service which puts out periodic communications of interest to religious emblems counselors working on the Catholic medals. In order to subscribe, cut and paste this link: http://www.nccs-bsa.info/NCCSnews/?p=subscribe&id=1 . Scouters can also get more information by contacting NCCS: NCCS@scouting.org.
Jim
Woodbadge WE3-23-08 (Beaver Patrol)
ASM, Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Old Beaver
Tenderfoot

Postby deweylure » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:56 am

Another source is the local parish priest. at our church he specifically asked to speak to the scouts.

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby Medic1 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:41 am

My son goes to scouts at a Baptist church at is near his school and all the boys in his troop are from that school. Our church is 20 miles away. My question is, can I teach only one scout Ad Altare Dei. My wife and I are very active in our faith and believe that we can do it. We are both ministers and my son as already received confirmation and communion.

I would like to hear some suggestions.
Medic1
Scout

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:01 pm

Are you a trained Counselor for AAD?

If so, I see no problem.

However, are there any other churches, or Troops chartered to a Catholic church, in your area? You might be able to either utilize their Counselor, or get more boys together who want to earn the emblem.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:12 pm

Medic1 wrote:My son goes to scouts at a Baptist church at is near his school and all the boys in his troop are from that school. Our church is 20 miles away. My question is, can I teach only one scout Ad Altare Dei. My wife and I are very active in our faith and believe that we can do it. We are both ministers and my son as already received confirmation and communion.

I would like to hear some suggestions.

Check with the local Catholic Diocese. Here you need to be trained to be qualified as a AAD or Pope Pius counselor.

Read the AAD program...it's not really designed for 1 scout to go through on his own although you could. Put a notice in your bulletin that you are going to get a group together to start the AAD program and welcome scouts from other troops. We did a group with 7 scouts, 2 of which were from other troops.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RWSmith » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:02 pm

smtroop168 wrote:....Put a notice in your bulletin that you are going to get a group together to start the AAD program and welcome scouts from other troops. We did a group with 7 scouts, 2 of which were from other troops.

Medic1, be aware... this is not a BSA program... but many (many, many) are BSA-'approved'.

Any youth (in the same age range) can earn these (respective) awards. I.e., Girl Scouts, Sunday School class, et al.

It's just that only the BSA-youth get the little purple knot along with the award.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:24 pm

RWSmith wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:....Put a notice in your bulletin that you are going to get a group together to start the AAD program and welcome scouts from other troops. We did a group with 7 scouts, 2 of which were from other troops.

Medic1, be aware... this is not a BSA program... but many (many, many) are BSA-'approved'.

Any youth (in the same age range) can earn these (respective) awards. I.e., Girl Scouts, Sunday School class, et al.

It's just that only the BSA-youth get the little purple knot along with the award.

RW....It's interesting you say that as the new book has as both the CAC and DAC responsibilities to:
Support and promote the religious emblems program. A very small percent of members earn a religious award. Committees should work to build on this important element of spiritual growth.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RWSmith » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:26 pm

Okay, okay... Let me put it this way...

As you noted... "locally" (in the trenches, so to speak), National policy is that we adults are supposed to encourage/support/facilitate the use of these programs. But still, and not to be nit-picking (really), they are not BSA programs; they are programs of their respective religious groups.

Scouting.org wrote:To encourage members to grow stronger in their faith, religious groups have developed the following religious emblems programs. The Boy Scouts of America has approved [the use] of these programs and allows the emblems to be worn on the official uniform. The various religious groups [develop, maintain and] administer the programs.

National simply approves/disapproves those programs which apply for inclusion into BSA's list of recognized Religious Emblems Programs (REP).

Although approved for wear on the official uniform, the REP knot (itself) is NOT a BSA award; it is a representation of that religious group's award to the Scout. (And, if memory serves, this is the only non-BSA award allowed on the uniform.)

My main point to Medic1 was: Most of these programs are purposefully not BSA-centric. If Medic1 wants to mentor a REP for his son, he can include non-Scouts (in the same age group), which may or may not be co-ed, depending on the particular program. But, when all's said, all kids completing the program get the certificate/pin/medal/whatever; plus, son (and BSA youth) get the knot, too.

I just quoted you originally because (well, one, it was convenient) your post referenced Scouts from multiple troops. My intended angle was that it didn't have to be just Scouts. Heh, heh.... sorry, man.

Medic1, see the following:

RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:07 pm

:wink:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Sat Apr 09, 2011 3:54 pm

Actually, the Roman Catholic Ad Altare Dei program IS just for Boy Scouts.

The eligibility requirements for that award are -

* Registered Boy Scout of Catholic Faith.
* Designed for youth 13-14 years old, older boys may use this program.
* Active member of the Troop for 6 months.
* Completed 6th grade before starting the program.

The Catholic Church has different programs for other youth groups.

You MUST be trained as a religious emblem counselor by someone in your Diocese in order to mentor your son, or any other Scouts, in this award. You must also complete your Diocese Youth Protection training.

Here are the contacts for the Diocesan Catholic Committees on Scouting in your area. Contact them for any information on training, and the Religious Emblem programs.

http://www.nccs-bsa.org/contacts/region14.php#140NC001
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:18 pm

Nuts4Scouts wrote:The eligibility requirements for that award are -

* Designed for youth 13-14 years old, older boys may use this program.
* Completed 6th grade before starting the program.

So you can't be Jethro Bodine!! :lol: :lol:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RWSmith » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:34 pm

Nuts4Scouts wrote:Actually, the Roman Catholic Ad Altare Dei program IS just for Boy Scouts.

Hence, the reason I stated, "Most of these programs are purposefully not BSA-centric."
:mrgreen:
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby FrankJ » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:20 am

The Ad Altare Dei is Roman Catholic specific. The general one for Protestants (including Baptist) is God & Church. Other religions have their own program. Who can do what is dictated by the specific program. God in Church can be done in large by lay people. They are all independent of the boy scouts. IE BSA does not administer the program or approve the curriculum. The only thing BSA does is award the knot once you complete your religion's program.

Sorry if I seem to be restating what has already been said.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Return to Religious Awards