Scouting Sunday/Sunday Sabbath

This forum is for discussing any of the many Religious Awards requirements, including tips and techniques. Do NOT use this forum for preaching, proselytizing, questioning or criticizing any religion(s).

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for discussing any of the many Religious Awards requirements, including tips and techniques. Do NOT use this forum for preaching, proselytizing, questioning or criticizing any religion(s).

Scouting Sunday/Sunday Sabbath

Postby Old Beaver » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:41 am

The first Sunday of February generally marks "Scouting Sunday" with the first Friday evening/Saturday day of the month representing "Scouting Sabbath". I'd like to hear from Scouters as to what they or their churches have taken on to note this day. At our parish, we'll have Cubs and Scouts (and Girl Scouts) participating in the entrance procession and as ushers and gift bearers for communion. Last year, they did the readings for the service, but we're not doing that this year (more for scheduling reasons than anything else). We'll also award the Light of Christ award to several Cub Scouts.

Jim
Woodbadge WE3-23-08 (Beaver Patrol)
Pleasant Hill, CA
Mt. Diablo Silverado Council
Jim
Woodbadge WE3-23-08 (Beaver Patrol)
ASM, Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Old Beaver
Tenderfoot

Re: Scouting Sunday/Sunday Sabbath

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:19 pm

Due to scheduling problems with our Parish Hall, we celebrate Boy Scout Sunday (Girl Scout Sunday is in March) the following Sunday (02/08).

Scouts, and Scouters participate in every aspect of the mass. The banners made by the boys earning the Parvuli Dei Emblem are used to decorate the altar. All of the Cubs, Boy Scouts, and their leaders, in uniform, process up at the beginning with the flags, and all sit in the front rows. Scouts act as the Altar Servers. Scouts and Scouters do the readings, are in the choir, etc, etc.

All religious awards (Cub, Boy, Adult, Unit) are blessed, and awarded in a small ceremony during the mass, with the leaders explaining what each one entails.

Afterward our Boy Scout Troop sponsors a breakfast of sweets, coffee and juice in the Parish Hall.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby Quailman » Sun Jan 25, 2009 12:28 pm

We've been with our current CO (a church) for about two years. They let many organizations use their facilities and often it seems like we're just a group using space and not part of the organization. This year we're finally going to participate in Scout Sunday. I suggested that our Chaplain's Aide or the only boy in our troop who also attends this church do a prayer or scripture reading. That might happen, but probably we'll just attend in uniform an be recognized. They'll ask all scouts current boy scouts and leaders to stand, then ask all girl scouts and leaders to join them, then parents and finally former scouts.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby VenturingL » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:05 pm

Our Venturers help organize younger scouts (both BSA & Girl Scouts) to assist them as Greeters, Ushers, Communion Stewards (if actually the first Sunday of month), and acolytes. The crew usually creates a slide show that they run before the service (while people are getting seated) highlighting what they've done the past year with appropriate "Thank you's". Last year we baked muffins for the break between our church's first service and Sunday School. If a member of our Crew does not attend the church (we're chartered by the United Methodist Men of the church), we encourage him or her to attend their church in uniform & ask what can be done to help with the service.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby scoutaholic » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:01 am

I remember back in the olden days when the whole troop would dress in their full uniforms for chuch on Scout Sunday.

This practice is now forbidden according to the LDS scouting handbook (the green book).

I haven't seen an LDS unit celebrate or even acknowledge scout sunday for many years.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby jr56 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 4:12 pm

My troop is attending church in uniform, and providing greeters for the services.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby LSR » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:12 pm

scoutaholic wrote:I remember back in the olden days when the whole troop would dress in their full uniforms for chuch on Scout Sunday.

This practice is now forbidden according to the LDS scouting handbook (the green book).

I haven't seen an LDS unit celebrate or even acknowledge scout sunday for many years.

Just curious, do they give a reason for this?
LSR
Life

Postby scoutaholic » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:35 pm

LSR wrote:
scoutaholic wrote:I remember back in the olden days when the whole troop would dress in their full uniforms for chuch on Scout Sunday.

Just curious, do they give a reason for this?

I don't remember if they give a reason in the green book, but I believe they decided that the scout uniform was not appropriate attire when the young men are performing their religious duties during the worship service.

(Would it be appropriate for an altarboy to wear a scout uniform during services?)
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 10:03 pm

scoutaholic wrote:(Would it be appropriate for an altarboy to wear a scout uniform during services?)

We do it every Scout Sunday.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Scouter&mom » Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:33 pm

We are sponsored by UMC and we (I think the UMC as a whole does this) move Scout Sunday to the second Sunday. I think it is not to conflict with communion. All Scouts, Boy Scouts, Cub Scouts, Girl Scouts and Brownies, and all adult leaders dress in uniform and conduct the majority of the service. The kids that attend that church usually act as acolytes, but the rest of the service is spread amongst all the Scouts, whether this is their home church or not. All Scout parents are invited to attend the service, and we usually manage to pack the small church. Sometimes one of the troops will do a lunch afterward as a fund raiser.

Also our Boy Scouts usher whenever there is a fifth Sunday in a month. Doing our part to serve the church, and remind the church that we are there, and not just somebody using the facilities. When the Boy Scouts usher, they all participate in all the usher duties, whether they are Methodist, Baptist, Catholic or even don't have a church home. Yes, our church is relaxed, so no one gets upset if they get confused and go the wrong way.
Scouter&mom
Scout

Postby cballman » Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:26 pm

Thats the kind of stories I like to hear about. Thank You for sharing that one Scouter&mom.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Return to Religious Awards