Adult Religous Knot Clarification

This forum is for discussing any of the many Religious Awards requirements, including tips and techniques. Do NOT use this forum for preaching, proselytizing, questioning or criticizing any religion(s).

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for discussing any of the many Religious Awards requirements, including tips and techniques. Do NOT use this forum for preaching, proselytizing, questioning or criticizing any religion(s).

Adult Religous Knot Clarification

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:12 pm

I am now volunteering some hours at our Council Scout Shop.

Parent comes in today to purchase Tiger Cub level book for their particular church. I asked if they wanted to get the Adult Mentor book and work along with their son and also earn the Adult Knot, if they are a registered adult leader.

Well, this has seemed to open a can of worms at the office.

I was trained that if a parent was registered in Scouting and did the Adult Mentor book along with their son or Venture daughter, they could earn the Adult Religous knot. Of course the Counselor would have to sign off just like for the youth.

It is the opinion of the office that this can only be awarded by nomination.

Please help clarify this issue and provide some "chapter and verse" of BSA policy so we can all be on the same page.
No Longer a Registered Scouter
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Re: Adult Religous Knot Clarification

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:52 pm

The Council is Correct.The Adult award is awarded by the scouters Church for Service above and beyond.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby ThunderingWind » Fri Jan 23, 2009 9:37 pm

wagionvigil wrote:The Council is Correct. The Adult award is awarded by the scouters Church for Service above and beyond.

Once more, crappy training strikes.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby FrankJ » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:35 pm

The web site that has the info is http://www.praypub.org These are the same people that publish the info at the scout shop You have to dig around a bit to find it.
Here is what they say:

# Adult recognitions are given to adults for outstanding service to youth through both their church and one of the national youth-serving agencies (Boy Scouts of America, Camp Fire USA, Girl Scouts of the U.S.A., American Heritage Girls).
# An outside party must nominate an adult to receive an award by submitting the required applications, letters of recommendation, and resume of activities. Self and spouse nominations will not be accepted.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:23 am

ThunderingWind wrote:I was trained that if a parent was registered in Scouting and did the Adult Mentor book along with their son or Venture daughter, they could earn the Adult Religous knot. Of course the Counselor would have to sign off just like for the youth.

Please help clarify this issue and provide some "chapter and verse" of BSA policy so we can all be on the same page.

What was the name of this training, and who performed it?

A big part of your problem seems to be a confusion over what BSA has control over. The ONLY thing related to Religious Awards that BSA has ANY say so in is what is worn on their uniform.

The silver knot on purple is able to be worn by any youth or adult who has earned a religious emblem as a youth. The purple knot on silver is able to be worn by any adult who has earned a religious emblem as an adult. These are the ONLY BSA requirements for wearing the knots. Neither the BSA, or you, as an employee of BSA, can stipulate WHEN the religious emblems themselves have been earned, or what must be done to earn them. That is the absolute prerogative of the religious organization whose religious emblem program it is. They also do their OWN training for their own emblem programs.

The different religious organizations each have different requirements for their adults to earn their religious emblem. Many have a number of different awards that adults can earn, but only ONE that qualifies an adult to wear the adult religious emblem square knot. Most of those are not "earned" through completing a series of requirements, or mentoring one child. They are "awarded" based on meeting criteria set by the religious institution, being nominated, and then picked for the award by a committee from the religious institution.

For instance, the nominee for the Catholic St George emblem must have made significant and outstanding contributions to the spiritual development of Catholic youths through Scouting. Some of the things to look for in anyone considered for nomination are -

- Promoting the religious emblems programs for Catholic youths or serving as a counselor, moderator or coordinator. Encouraging non-Catholic youths to participate in the religious emblems programs of their own faiths.
- Giving notable service in promoting Catholic activities and service projects for the church and being willing to serve on committees for those purposes.
- Actively participating in and promoting Scout retreats and days of recollection.
- Giving notable service in organizing and maintaining Catholic-chartered Scouting units including multiple units where needed.
- Giving notable service in bringing the Catholic program to those youths not in Catholic-chartered Scouting units.
- Using fully one's general Scouter training as well as "Scouter Development" to provide an outstanding Catholic Scouting program for youths.
- Arranging opportunities for Mass and other Catholic worship services at camporees and summer camps. These must be consistent with the documents of the National Conference of Catholic Bishops. Providing also for the spiritual needs of non-Catholic Scouts.
- Encouraging appropriate ecumenism and Catholic leadership within the various Catholic-chartered Scouting units.
- Using the Catholic press and other communications media to create a better understanding of the aims and ideals of Scouting as an apostolate to youths.
- Educating clergy and laity about Scouting as a youth apostolate in the Catholic Church.
- Giving leadership in promoting Scouting for all youths regardless of race or creed. Helping organize Scouting units for minority and disadvantaged youths.

This is a bit more involved than just completing an Adult Mentor book while helping your son or daughter earn a religious emblem.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby scoutaholic » Sat Jan 24, 2009 2:29 am

It depends on which religious organization you are talking about. Many are nominated, but a few can be earned.

The adult religious award for the LDS church has published requirements (which are way too easy). Most anyone who gets trained in their scouting position, and works with church youth (in or out of scouting) for 2 years qualifies for the award. Then all you have to do is fill out the paper and have a short talk with the IH.
Eagle Scout 1987
OA Vigil Honor 1986
Fox - WE7-590-05-2
Currently - Troop/Team/Crew Advancement Chair & Dist Webmaster
Previously - SM, MC, CM, ACM, ADL, ASM, COR, Dist Camp Chair, PL, SPL, Scribe, Songleader, JASM, OA Chapter Officer, ...
scoutaholic
Bronze Palm

Postby ThunderingWind » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:40 am

Thank you everyone. I now understand the proper procedure.

My initial training took place in the Central Region. The Religous awards were a 20 block of training as part of xzy Leader Specific course. I got the same 20 minute speech in Venture and Webelos Leader course, two months apart, in two different Districts, by two different people.

Anyway, this is not the first time that some of my initial training was wrong. So, I am now on the right page and will move forth thusly.
Last edited by ThunderingWind on Mon Jan 26, 2009 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ThunderingWind
Gold Palm

Postby kwildman » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:42 pm

i have had problems with this ... a couple of our leaders "awarded" themselves the youth patch for doing the program with their kids. One leader actually wanted to wear two youth awards because he had two kids. I explained that they could only wear the youth award if it is earned as a youth and that if they wanted the adult award it could ONLY be awarded by their church and it was not related to the classes. It was a real mess.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:45 pm

Central Region I Bet! :lol: :twisted: :evil:
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Harvybirdman » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:34 pm

Nuts4Scouts is correct BSA has no control over and puts no requirement on the religious emblems. For an example in Puerto Rico the adults that complete a special catholic medal called the Bronze Pelican can wear their knot. Protestant members have to be nominated for it by other members for work above and beyond on behalf of the youth.
Harvybirdman
Scout

Postby tonkatim » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:54 am

The Bronze Pelican is a local Catholic award. Its requirements are designated locally, as well.
In my area it comes with the Adult Religious Knot. In some other areas that is saved for the St. George award. But, it is not a self nominated award at all, as far as I can tell.
tonkatim
Star

Return to Religious Awards