Parvuli Dei Award

This forum is for discussing any of the many Religious Awards requirements, including tips and techniques. Do NOT use this forum for preaching, proselytizing, questioning or criticizing any religion(s).

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Forum rules
This forum is for discussing any of the many Religious Awards requirements, including tips and techniques. Do NOT use this forum for preaching, proselytizing, questioning or criticizing any religion(s).

Parvuli Dei Award

Postby Old Beaver » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:48 am

Here's a summary of the Parvuli Dei program that I put together to share with interested parents at Pack meetings and at an orientation session. It's actually a Word file (which included a clip of the medal and the religous knot patch), but I can't figure out how to incorporate that into this posting. Here's the text, which you're welcome to copy into Word and edit as your needs dictate:

St. Perpetua Church
Parvuli Dei Award

Purpose

The Parvuli Dei (“Children of God”) program is designed for registered Bear Cubs or Webelos of the Catholic faith. The program dates to 1953 and over the decades approximately 450,000 Cub Scouts have earned this emblem. The Parvuli Dei program is designed to help young boys explore a wide range of activities in order to discover the presence of God in their daily lives as members of their families and parishes. Boys are encouraged to develop a positive self-image through the contributions they can make to the community.

The Program

Each participating Cub Scout works with his parents on the activities in the Parvuli Dei Activity Book. Parents must be actively involved in working through the Activity Book with their sons. The Religious Emblems Coordinator, _______, is available as a resource, but parents play the key role for this program. We will have an orientation session in September, with follow-up meetings in the fall.

The Activity Book has various sections dealing with God and his creation, the boy’s relationship with God and Jesus, and the boy’s relationship with Jesus, the Church the community at large and other Cub Scouts. When the boy has completed the Activity Book, the parents should contact ___________, who will arrange for a review of the Activity Book and an interview. Following this, the parish will send the completed application form (located in the back of the Activity Book) to the Diocese Committee on Scouting for final approval. Note: In order to receive the Parvuli Dei emblem, all requirements must be completed by before the start of 6rd Grade (and ideally before the end of 5th Grade).

The Parvuli Dei Emblem and Religious Knot Patch

The parish will receive the Parvuli Dei medal or emblem from the Diocese on behalf of the boy. This emblem recognizes the effort of the Bear Cub or Webelos in advancing his faith. We anticipate that the emblem will be presented to the boy during the Scouting Sunday Mass in early February. In addition to the Parvuli Dei medal, the boy is entitled to the religious knot patch and the Parvuli Dei “device pin”, which is worn on the uniform. The religious knot patch should be presented at the Pack’s Blue and Gold Banquet.

Contact Information for _________
ASM, Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Old Beaver
Tenderfoot

Re: Parvuli Dei Award

Postby SMTroop240 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:22 am

Can the knot from Parvuli Dei be worn on a Boy Scout uniform?
It was my understanding that the Arrow of Light was the only Cub Scout award that could be worn of the Scout Uniform.

This is timely for me, as one of my 6th grade scouts had the religious knot on his uniform last week. I know he had not completed the Ad Altare Dei as of yet. I haven't asked him about it yet, but I will have a chat with him if I determine that he cannot wear the knot.
East Lyme, the home of Lyme disease.
SMTroop240
Second Class

Postby cballman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:52 am

The Religious awards are NOT a scout award. They are earned through the scouting program and are allowed to be worn on any scout uniform when earned. Whether you earned it as a child or adult it can still be worn.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby kwildman » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:53 am

the knot is the youth religious knot and it can be worn on the boy scout uniform.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:05 am

SMTroop240 wrote:It was my understanding that the Arrow of Light was the only Cub Scout award that could be worn of the Scout Uniform.

Actually there are 6 knots that could be on a BS uniform as a Scout or an Adult that were earned as a Cub:

The purple Religious knot, with devices to show multiple awards (Light of Christ and PVD)
AOL
James West knot if the contribution was made in the scouts name to honor them.
Any of the three Heroism knots
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Old Beaver » Thu Dec 11, 2008 1:57 am

Regarding the "device pin" for Scouts who have already earned the religious knot, the following link may be helpful: http://www.usscouts.org/awards/devices.asp
Jim
Woodbadge WE3-23-08 (Beaver Patrol)
ASM, Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Old Beaver
Tenderfoot

Postby Old Beaver » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:14 pm

I’ve found a very helpful resource to counselors working on the Catholic religious emblems programs like the Parvuli Dei. The National Catholic Committee on Scouting (NCCS) offers significant materials relating to the various Catholic religious emblems programs and Catholic Scouting in general. If religious medals counselors are interested in learning more about Catholic Scouting emblems, activities and events, then visit http://www.NCCS-BSA.org. Interested Scouters can also join the NCCS network on Facebook by becoming a fan. NCCS also publishes an eNews service which puts out periodic communications of interest to religious emblems counselors working on the Catholic medals. In order to subscribe, click on: http://www.nccs-bsa.info/NCCSnews/?p=subscribe&id=1 . Scouters can also get more information by contacting NCCS: NCCS@scouting.org.
Jim
Woodbadge WE3-23-08 (Beaver Patrol)
ASM, Troop 277
Pleasant Hill, CA
Old Beaver
Tenderfoot

Return to Religious Awards