Who gets the blue card?

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Who gets the blue card?

Postby OA72MBC13 » Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:37 am

Where does the blue card go once a Scout has completed a merit badge with his merit badge counselor? I was taught at MBC training and the Guide to Advancement states that the card is to be returned to the unit leader. However, usscouts.org states the Scout returns the card to his troop’s advancement chair. Scouts always ask where to take the blue card once they’re finished. As a counselor for several troops it’s impractical for me to know how each troop handles a blue card once I’ve signed off. I’d like to keep the Scouts from doing any unnecessary running around after they’ve completed their badge. What is the correct procedure?
OA72MBC13
Scout

Re: Who gets the blue card?

Postby Quailman » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:08 am

If you are a Merit Badge Counselor, what the youth does is up to his unit. YOU should keep the Counselor's record, in case the boy loses the other sections.

The boy takes it back to his unit and presents it to his Scoutmaster or the Scoutmaster's designee for unit leader signature. Then the BOY keeps the Applicant Record (the middle section). In some troops the Unit Record is kept by the signer and handed to the Advancement Chair. In others, it is up to the boy to take it to the AC.

As an AC for a unit, it drives me crazy to see boys come back with the Counselor's Record still attached. Be sure to keep those. I have a large collection at home for boys I've counseled over the years.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby ronin718 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:35 pm

In our troop, the Scout hands in both the Unit Record and the Applicant's copy. The Applicant's copy is returned to him at the CoH, attached to the MB card and MB patch. This makes for a nice complete package.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby Mrw » Tue Dec 02, 2014 3:12 pm

ronin718 wrote:In our troop, the Scout hands in both the Unit Record and the Applicant's copy. The Applicant's copy is returned to him at the CoH, attached to the MB card and MB patch. This makes for a nice complete package.

It works the same way in our troop. Some boys take it to the SM for his signature before handing it to me and some bring it straight to me.

It helps keep the boys straight about what they have turned in too. I occasionally get a boy complaining about not getting his badge. Then he brings me a blue card to prove he has earned it when my records show otherwise. Invariably he still has both parts and so had never turned it in.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby jr56 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:15 pm

It varies from Troop to troop who keeps the unit copy. Ususally it is the Advancement Chair. As stated, the individuals copy should be kept by the boy, and counselors copy by the counselor.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Return to General Advancement Information