Merit Badge requirements completed when they were cub scouts

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Merit Badge requirements completed when they were cub scouts

Postby ksungela » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:58 am

Hi,
First post here, my son just crossed over into Boy Scouts and has many merit badges he want to work on. If my son performed an activity when he was a cub scout which satisfies a merit badge requirement, is it applicable to the merit badge requirement, or does he have to do it again? For example, we visited the Coin mint in Philadelphia when he was a Web. I. Visiting a minting facility is one of the requirements for the coin collecting badge. Would he need to revisit the coin mint again while he's a B.S. in order for it to "count".
Thanks
Ken
ksungela
Scout

Re: Merit Badge requirements completed when they were cub scouts

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:00 am

I would not count any activities done before he was a registered member of a Boy Scout Troop (ie: Cub, pre-school, etc).

However this is a question your son should be asking his Merit Badge Counselor.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:19 am

Nuts4Scouts wrote:However this is a question your son should be asking his Merit Badge Counselor.

This is absolutely not up to the MBC.

While anybody can complete any MB requirement(s), there are two universal prerequisites for earning any MB requirement(s):

1. All requirements must be completed prior to 18th birthday -- everybody knows this one;
  2. However, all MBs (incl. any individual requirements) can only be earned while a registered Boy Scout*.

(*) Note: Includes Varsity & Venturing

All Boy Scout requirements, except for the "joining requirements", can be earned only while a registered Boy Scout.
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:20 am

Welcome to the Forum. Here's the reference: GTA Para 7.0.0.2

"All merit badge requirements must be met while a registered Boy Scout or Varsity Scout, or a qualified Venturer or Sea Scout. Accomplishments before joining, or while a Cub Scout, do not apply."
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby RWSmith » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:25 am

smtroop168 wrote:Welcome to the Forum. Here's the reference: GTA Para 7.0.0.2

"All merit badge requirements must be met while a registered Boy Scout or Varsity Scout, or a qualified Venturer or Sea Scout. Accomplishments before joining, or while a Cub Scout, do not apply."

Yeah... what he said. :mrgreen:
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:41 am

RWSmith wrote:
smtroop168 wrote:Welcome to the Forum. Here's the reference: GTA Para 7.0.0.2

Yeah... what he said. :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I just got back from our University of Scouting where this question was asked believe it or not in a Life to Eagle Session by a Dad whose son just crossed over this week. Not sure why a L-E session would be where I would spend my time for a brand new boy scout but he wanted to know if he could get credit for cub scout filed trips for boy scout MBs.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Nuts4Scouts » Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:43 pm

RWSmith wrote:
Nuts4Scouts wrote:However this is a question your son should be asking his Merit Badge Counselor.

This is absolutely not up to the MBC.

I did not say that accepting work as a Cub Scout was up to the Merit Badge Counselor.

I said the Scout should be asking the question of his Merit Badge Counselor.

These are the sorts of things a new Boy Scout must start doing for himself.
Nuts4Scouts
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:59 pm

lets see if they listen!
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby FrankJ » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:22 pm

There are a few exception to this rule. Current certifications earned while a cub count. CPR & SCUBA come to mind. Grade for the scholarship merit badge?--it has been a while since i read the requirements. Probably coin & stamp collections as well. Anything to do with climbing. :twisted: :) But definitely not activities.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:20 pm

FrankJ wrote:There are a few exception to this rule. Current certifications earned while a cub count. CPR & SCUBA come to mind. Grade for the scholarship merit badge?--it has been a while since i read the requirements. Probably coin & stamp collections as well. Anything to do with climbing. :twisted: :) But definitely not activities.

Frank..I can't find anywhere where these exceptions are written.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:56 pm

I don't know that they are written anywhere. I was going to bring up the coin collecting if Frank hadn't. As a Coin Collecting MBC, I wouldn't ask a scout to go spend his state quarter collection and collect five to replace it. If he has an extensive collection, he probably knows all about how coins are made, which he likely learned as a cub. OTOH, I would excpet him to visit a mint or coin show after becoming a Boy Scout.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:40 pm

Scuba merit badge requires an open water certification. I recall a lot discussion about it when the merit badge came out. The upshot was if you already have that, you do not have to re-certify to earn the merit badge. It is also in the notes for the requirements on the Usscouts web site. I know that is not official, but I actually trust Paul more than official sources to get it right. :)

I am not sure how many merit badges that actually require CPR. Most of them is just a knowledge of. Most MBCs I know will accept a current CPR card for that requirement. It is evidence of a current proficiency.

Climbing was just a poke at Jerry. (DUH?)
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:06 pm

FrankJ wrote:Scuba merit badge requires an open water certification. I recall a lot discussion about it when the merit badge came out. The upshot was if you already have that, you do not have to re-certify to earn the merit badge. It is also in the notes for the requirements on the Usscouts web site. I know that is not official, but I actually trust Paul more than official sources to get it right. :)

I am not sure how many merit badges that actually require CPR. Most of them is just a knowledge of. Most MBCs I know will accept a current CPR card for that requirement. It is evidence of a current proficiency.

I remember the Scuba discussion and I'm not a Scuba guy but I didn't think a Cub Scout Age boy could earn the Open Water Cert.

11 MBs have a CPR requirement. I don't know how many Cub Age kids are CPR certified either.

Always fun to poke Jerry whether you do it on a Tandem (OOPS- RW's gonna get me) or not. :lol:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:59 am

Poke all you want. I have thick skin. But wait until 2013 and the ACCT requirements are totally adopted by BSA. Including the terminology for titles. level I level II level !!! manager. etc. training will also change. I see many council shutting down their programs. I am staffing the weekend course in April at Pipersville,Pa. Matt you should sign up. LOL At the Summit most of the climbing and rappelling will be auto belayed with Tru Blu Auto belays. When used in tandem with a standard belay a scout can still get his climbing belays BUT when you are climbing on an auto belay as soon as you load the harness your climb is over as it lowers you at that point. I guess a partial on that. Matt we are actually putting autos in at the cave as even my best staff refuse to run thee climbs at a time and I wanted 3 staff at all times at the wall but we cannot get that many trained people. SO we will do Partials on the climbing Part now. It will be a record keeping nightmare for the staff member at the wall. have not figured that out yet. Also no adults will be permitted to gear up at the cave with the boys.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby Quailman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:01 am

smtroop168 wrote:
FrankJ wrote:Scuba merit badge requires an open water certification. I recall a lot discussion about it when the merit badge came out. The upshot was if you already have that, you do not have to re-certify to earn the merit badge. It is also in the notes for the requirements on the Usscouts web site. I know that is not official, but I actually trust Paul more than official sources to get it right. :)

I remember the Scuba discussion and I'm not a Scuba guy but I didn't think a Cub Scout Age boy could earn the Open Water Cert.

11 MBs have a CPR requirement. I don't know how many Cub Age kids are CPR certified either.

Always fun to poke Jerry whether you do it on a Tandem (OOPS- RW's gonna get me) or not. :lol:

Scouting.org's page with note to the Scuba MBC Says the following:

Scuba industry standards for Open Water Diver Certification require the student to be at least 15 years of age. Students under the minimum age who meet open water scuba performance requirements may qualify for a special certification that allows them to dive with an adult buddy who has, as a minimum, an open water scuba certification. Several of the scuba organizations recognized by the BSA offer "junior" open water certifications for those as young as 10; others have a minimum age of 12. Such junior open water diver certifications satisfy Scuba Diving merit badge requirement 4.

PADI is one that offers the junior certification at age 10. That changes my misconceptions about the Scuba MB. Apparently, if the boy earned PADI certification as a cub scout he need only earn the Swimming MB to continue with the other requirements.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:41 am

So many councils shutting down their programs is a good thing? Are they really that poorly run?
Frank J.
Owl-2 WB 92-49
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:50 am

FrankJ wrote:So many councils shutting down their programs is a good thing? Are they really that poorly run?

Frank if you are responding to me The answer is that they need have two NCS trained Climbing people. see below Any many will not have funds to pay the camp school fees.

Proposed New Instructor Designations & Requirements: (Effective 2013)*
Program Manager (PM)
Prerequisite: Level II Instructor + either training or a written test depending on the amount of experience.
He/she would manage all aspects of the COPE and/or Climbing program(s). This is primarily an administrative position.
The Program Manager might or might not actually facilitate the programs.
All councils that operate a COPE and/or climbing program will need to have a Program Manager effective in 2014
Training will take place at Philmont and Regional NSC
Five (5) year training certificate
Training Program Evaluator (TPE)
Prerequisite: Level II Instructor + many years of experience (possibly National Camping Staff)
He/she would evaluate local council (site specific) COPE and/or climbing/rappelling training & programs every five (5) years.
Training Evaluators would be approved by the BSA COPE & Climbing/Rappelling Task Force.
Five (5) year training certificate

Level II Instructor (L II)
Very similar to a current COPE or Climbing Director. He/she facilitates the COPE and/or Climbing programs.
Prerequisite: Must be a Level I to qualify to attend COPE or Climbing/Rappelling Section at NCS.
Training will take place at either a NCS , local council or third party (i.e. challenge course vendor)
Three (3) Year training certificate
Level I Instructor (LI)
Very similar to a current COPE and/or Climbing Instructor.
No prerequisites
Training takes place at the local council (site specific)
One (1) year training certificate
Note: All training certificates for Program Manager, Training Program Evaluator, Level II instructor and Level I instructor will expire in one (1), three (3) or five (5) years from the date of issue , not on December 31 of the final year. (Effective in 2013)
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:20 pm

Back to the OP question, I think the "all requirements have to be done as boy scouts" rule is good. There may be an obscure 10 year old who has his dive certification and I'm sure the Scuba MBC will say okay.

The number of "I did that as a Cub Scout for my Wolf rank" requests would become quickly unmanagable.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby ksungela » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:37 pm

OK, thanks for the replies. Along the same thread, can the completion of one task be applied toward two merit badges? For example, a 15 mile bike ride for both the cycling and camping merit badge?
ksungela
Scout

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:28 pm

ksungela wrote:OK, thanks for the replies. Along the same thread, can the completion of one task be applied toward two merit badges? For example, a 15 mile bike ride for both the cycling and camping merit badge?

Sure if the particular 15 mile bike ride is part of a campout it can count for Camping MB req 9.b.3 and Cycling req 8
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Next

Return to General Advancement Information