BOR conducted in error

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: BOR conducted in error

Postby ronin718 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:31 am

Quailman wrote:The sad thing is that the guy who was the SM and pulled out has attended plenty of training sessions. He's the main reason I don't think Woodbadge is worthwhile. He's always making his own rules. Our recently appointed Unit Commissioner looked at the situation and said we should be glad to see him go.

You can't judge the quality and worth of a program by one bad apple. You will always have the few who insist on doing things their way regardless of all the information that says things work better when following the guidelines. Sounds like this guy had his own vision of Scouting and picked-and-chose what parts he wanted to apply.

Attend Wood Badge yourself and then decide if it was worth your time. You'll be in a better position to help others afterwards.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:57 am

Woodbadge is not going to make a fundamental change in anybodies personality. It is a great course for goal setting & taking a deep look at what you want to do with the program. Just make sure you get buy in from the affected people before you embark on radical changes.

Your original problem is pretty minor in the scheme of things. If somebody cannot get over it after the initial blowing off steam--you are better off without them. No matter how much they ask you to beg them to come back.

If your former scout master was effectively trained, he would realize that it is the CC's & COR's' job to find a scoutmaster, & BOR are not really in the SM's job description. Regardless the SM & CM need to communicate effectively & respect each other or you are going to have a dysfunctional troop.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby WVBeaver05 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:31 pm

ronin718 wrote:Attend Wood Badge yourself and then decide if it was worth your time. You'll be in a better position to help others afterwards.

A good suggestion in any case.

YiS
Wayne

Scoutmaster Troop34
Roundtable Commissioner
Eagle Scout - 1973
Wood Badge Beaver - 2005
WVBeaver05
Bronze Palm

Postby lifescoutforlife » Tue May 08, 2012 10:36 am

WVBeaver05 wrote:
ronin718 wrote:Attend Wood Badge yourself and then decide if it was worth your time. You'll be in a better position to help others afterwards.

A good suggestion in any case.

YiS

Attending any training doesn't matter if you don't take back to your unit what you have learned and apply it. Woodbadge was very rewarding for me. One of my goals was to have the boys work in requirements at each camp out to help with advancement. They are still doing it 5 years later.
If you don't take care of the Cub Scouts there will be no Boy Scouts!
Owl Patrol NE-IV-214
lifescoutforlife
Eagle

Previous

Return to General Advancement Information