2012 "Boy Scout Requirements" Revisions....

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

2012 "Boy Scout Requirements" Revisions....

Postby razor_strop » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:27 am

Given the lack of discussion on the Web on the topic, I take it there were no changes to advancement or merit badge requirements for this year that became effective 01 Jan?
Last edited by RWSmith on Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Rename Topic; Changed 'Type' from "Normal" to "Announcement" (for remainder of 2012).
razor_strop
Life

Re: 2012 Revisions?

Postby PaulSWolf » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:33 am

I'm sure there were, but the 2012 edition of Boy Scout Requirements isn't availablae from the Supply Division yet.

As soon as I can get a copy, I'll be able to tell what is changed.

Obviously, the revised wording to the Eagle Project Requirement will be included, and a change is to the Camping MB has been mentioned. The new Welding MB should be out soon, too, and I'm sure there will be other changes (but have no idea what will be changed).
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:22 pm

Generally this book doesn't hit the stores until 2/15.

Even moi does not/has not seen all the changes.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Quailman » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:38 pm

I always tell people that the best place to check - better than scouting.org - is USSCOUTS.ORG. I guess Paul's response makes that moot.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:44 pm

New book is out. Paul Wolf is updating his stuff. The only significant change imho is the Camping MB #9 that has been mentioned before. Drops "days" and defines long term camp as 6 nights max.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:47 pm

As noted, The 2012 Boy Scout Requirements Book (33216 - SKU 34765) is now available in Scout Shops and online from Scoutstuff.org. I picked up a copy Wednesday afternoon and have finished looking it over for changes.

These are the items that have changed from last year's edition (Items in RED are not noted on the inside front cover):

Second Class— Requirement 5.
Eagle -- Requirement 5

Revised merit badge requirements for
Woodwork (1, 6b, 7)

Minor merit badge requirement updates for
Archery (5, option B[f]2)
Astronomy (1 & 9)
Athletics (1)
Bugling (2b)
Camping (1, 9)
Climbing (1, 3)
Fly-Fishing (1)
Graphic Arts (2)
Hiking (1)
Motorboating (1)
Music (3b, 3c, 4b, 4d)
Personal Fitness (8)
Scouting Heritage (2, 8 & footnote to 4b revised last year, but not noted either then or now)

New merit badges:
Chess
Robotics
and Welding

Note that the new WELDING MB is listed above, and the requirements for the badge appear in the book, even though the official announcement of the new merit badge has not been made yet, and the badge and pamphlet are not yet available for purchase.

The changes to Requirement 1 in the various merit badges are in line with this statement from BSA:

The seven (sic) merit badge pamphlets bearing the new risk-related requirement 1 have an outdoor focus with a greater level of risk. As our pamphlets get updated by our Merit Badge Maintenance Task Force, more will have this new requirement.

Actually there are 8 merit badges with the new requirement, including Woodwork.

The new requirement is in this format (Insert the appropriate term where I show a blank.), which is then followed by the old requirement as b, c, etc, as appropriate.:

1. Do the following:
a. Explain to your counselor the most likely hazards you may encounter while participating in ___________ activities, and what you should do to anticipate, help prevent, mitigate, and respond to these hazards.
I've updated and uploaded all the appropriate files on the USSSP website, including these files:

a. Revised requirements pages for the ranks and merit badges that changed

b. Pages showing what exactly changed for each rank and merit badge

c. Pages showing the previous requirements for those still working on them.

d. The requirements for Welding MB are at: http://usscouts.org/mb/mb148.asp

e. My annual summary of all changes I've identified in the book. That summary can be found at:
http://usscouts.org/advance/changes.advchanges12.asp

f. Worksheets for the revised merit badges, including the new WELDING merit badge (in both DOC and PDF formats).

g. Miscellaneous files in support of these changes (images, zip files, index pages, links, etc.)

I assume the changes will appear on meritbadge.org in the next day or two.

If you find any typos, omissions, or other errors or problems, please let me know.

And last, but definitely not least,I want to extend a warm thank you to both Matt Culbertson and Mark Elias. One of them alerted me to the fact that the book was available in the Scout Shops, and the other sent me a file which was of tremendous help in preparing the files I've listed above.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby PaulSWolf » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:30 pm

At BSA's request, the requirements for WELDING mb, will be posted online only after BSA's official announcement, scheduled for January 30th.

Since this merit badge has safety issues associated with it, BSA doesn't want youth working on it prior to the pamphlet being available. They worked extensively to make this merit badge as safe as possible and the pamphlet will reflect that.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Re: 2012 "Boy Scout Requirements" Revisions....

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 5:42 pm

Thanks Paul but you do all the heavy lifting on updating the information.

I just do my part as my Signature Tag Line suggests!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby kc9901mom » Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:39 pm

I read in the Jan. 2012 ed. of Scouting magazine that Search and Rescue and Kayaking merit badges are supposed to be out this year as well.

Does anyone know about the requirements for these Badges?
kc9901mom
Star

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Feb 03, 2012 5:44 pm

May 2012.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby VenturingL » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:17 pm

Need help to find exact wording/document (BSA Requirements book?).

Adult leadership of a troop my son & I have been helping with (totally unofficial - they are chartered by our church) swear they were told by someone at National that a boy just has to do the requirements, in the handbook he has, for each rank. They say they asked specifically about changes to the requirements, and were told to use what's in the scout's book. So they have scouts who have a pre-2010 version and are not requiring them to do the most recently released requirements. I met with SM 2 weeks ago & said if a scout started a rank (or MB) before a requirement changed, he could finish under the older requirements. BUT any work on the next rank, or a different scout starting the MB, would have to do so under the newest requirements. They are adamant they have done the research on this subject and are not budging. My concern is the scouts - what happens when they go before an EBOR in a few years and someone realizes they did not do all the requirements? I have a meeting with our district's Field Director in a few days.

If I'm right, how do troops handle documenting the requirement change? Simply write it in, in the scout's handbook? They said Troop master updated, but evidently they are ignoring some things listed.
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby FrankJ » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:36 pm

You are correct.

You want a copy of the 2012 advancement requirements handbook. Probably available at your local scout shop by now. If not you should be able to order it from scoutstuff.org. Just somebody has a job at national doesn't mean the know the correct info on every subject. :)

I will be tried for heresy for saying this.... The requirements have not changed that much since 2010. If somebody was granting rank from the 2010 handbook, I would not make a national case of it. I would still try to point them in the right direction though. BORs are for the current rank only. So being improperly given a previous especially by an adult mistake should not be an issue. Awarded merit badges are not subject to review.

What do they do about old merit badge books? That is even a bigger problem knowing which ones have the current requirements.

The simplest thing would be to give a scout a piece of paper sized to fit in the scout note book.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby razor_strop » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:58 pm

From the 2011 Guide to Advancement, Section 4.0.0.1:

Advancement requirements change from time to time. For Boy Scouting and Varsity Scouting, check the latest annual edition of Boy Scout Requirements, No. 34765. Changes usually appear first in a revised handbook,
and then become effective the next January 1 and are published in the requirements book. Unless otherwise stated there, or in the member handbook, the following
options are allowed.

• If members have already started on a rank, Eagle Palm, or Venturing award when a revision is introduced, they may switch to the new requirements or continue with the old ones until it is completed.
• If members have not already started on a rank, they may use the new requirements; or, if work begins before the end of the current year, they may use the
old requirements to complete the badge.

Good luck.
razor_strop
Life

Postby ronin718 » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:14 pm

FrankJ wrote:I will be tried for heresy for saying this.... The requirements have not changed that much since 2010. If somebody was granting rank from the 2010 handbook, I would not make a national case of it. I would still try to point them in the right direction though. BORs are for the current rank only. So being improperly given a previous especially by an adult mistake should not be an issue. Awarded merit badges are not subject to review.

He said the troop in question was working off of pre-2010 Handbooks. That's a completely different ball game. Those reqs don't include the EDGE-oriented items for the boys. This is a significant change that cannot be overlooked. Sounds like a more official visit needs to be made to this organization and get the "law" laid down.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:04 pm

I don't consider the edge requirements that big of an improvement :o Not to say that using the old requirements is OK.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby ronin718 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:23 am

FrankJ wrote:I don't consider the edge requirements that big of an improvement :o Not to say that using the old requirements is OK.

Not saying it was an improvement, just saying it's a significant change to the advancement requirements. A Scout today just can't be using a 2009-era handbook to progress from Tenderfoot to Eagle. Any troop that is allowing this needs to be corrected.
1st ASM, 2010 NCAC Jambo Troop 521
WB NE-IV-216 Eagle, Beaded 17 June 2010
Unit Commissioner, Goose Creek District
ronin718
Eagle

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:25 pm

The Significant EDGE change is at the Life Scout Rank level...actually having an older scout teach a younger one to advance the younger one and himself
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby VenturingL » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:33 pm

Thank you all. The troop has 2 scouts who are currently Star, and closing in on Life rapidly. They have not done the EDGE requirement (or at least not documented it likethe other requirements) because it is not in their books. This was what started the conversation with the SM. Of course, it is listed in Troop Master at this time. One of the scouts came into the troop with Star (Troop formed October 2010, do not know the date of his BOR) and the other earned Star Feb. 2011.

Just to understand the timing - I understand if a scout has started work & the requirements change - scout has option to continue with previous requirements or jump to new. Please clarify the part about starting before the year is up - do I have this correct: This is for changes that are announced during a year, and then included in the published Requirements Book at the beginning of the next? Scout has until new revision of Requirements Book is released? So whatever is in 2012 book is "law" now. If something changes during 2012, scouts could use what's IN THE 2012 REQUIREMENTS BOOK, until 2013.

With the 2 scouts, the first one could legitimately follow pre-2010, IF he earned the rank before the 2010 changes were officially published in the Requirements Book. The other scout would definitely need meeting the requirement for using EDGE. Is there a way (maybe digging through this forum) to find the exact date the changes were announced?
Merit Badge Counselor (Communication, Theater, Public Speaking)
Wood Badge Fox SR-861
VenturingL
Star

Postby Quailman » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:40 pm

Paul does a great job of tracking the changes on the USSCOUTS.ORG website.

EDGE was added January 1, 2011.
Quailman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:33 pm

VenturingL wrote:If something changes during 2012, scouts could use what's IN THE 2012 REQUIREMENTS BOOK, until 2013.

Correct generally this is the case unless the BSA would state otherwise as an immediate change.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to General Advancement Information