GTA - Unit expectations - Time Periods

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

GTA - Unit expectations - Time Periods

Postby Fred Johnson » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:40 pm

Are "unit expectations" for active just for the BSA required time (star=4 months, life and eagle=6 months) period or can they require more?

Can units require the "active" time frame be the last four or six months before the SMC/BOR?

Can units not credit as active a scout who completed both BSA requirements and unit expectations a long time ago, but does not currently meet unit expectations? Another way to say it, can units deny rank advancement because of current attendance not meeting unit expectations even though the "active" requirement was fulfilled in the past using both BSA requirements and unit expectations.
Fred Johnson
Life

Re: GTA - Unit expectations - Time Periods

Postby jr56 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:26 pm

Short answer....No
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Tue Oct 25, 2011 2:59 pm

Short answer: read the post above.

If anybody on the management side of a troop seriously suggested that... Sure sign you are in wrong place.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:09 pm

Nope. No one suggested. I'm just trying to understand.

So essentially, units can have attendance/participation expectations ... just like before. But now for advancement, those unit expectations can be used as part of evaluating "active". BUT ONLY FOR THE QUALIFYING TIME WINDOW(S). Once the "active" requirement is fulfilled, the unit expectations are just as before in that the unit expectations are there, but they don't affect advancement.

Thanks!
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby jr56 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:22 pm

The advancement requirements specify you have to be "active" for a specific amount of time. 6 months for Eagle for example. No where does it say it has to be the current 6 month period. So, if a Life scout was active for 6 months last year, and has since been busy with school activities prohibiting him from making all the troop meetings, etc, it doesn't matter, the 6 month "active" requirement has been met.
jr56
Bronze Palm

Postby FrankJ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 2:33 pm

The bottom is: you have reasonable definitions (or even slightly unreasonable). You are upfront & consistent about them. You are running a meaningful program that the scouts want to be a part of. You are going to be left alone to run your program & you are going to have scouts to run it with.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 10:06 pm

Fred Johnson wrote:Are "unit expectations" for active just for the BSA required time (star=4 months, life and eagle=6 months) period or can they require more?

No but the Active requirement only applies to S-L-E for advancement. Requiring more is adding to the requirements and specifically against the rules...in the book in more than one spot

Can units require the "active" time frame be the last four or six months before the SMC/BOR?

No. Once the requirement has been completed, the scout should ask to get it signed off.

Can units not credit as active a scout who completed both BSA requirements and unit expectations a long time ago, but does not currently meet unit expectations? Another way to say it, can units deny rank advancement because of current attendance not meeting unit expectations even though the "active" requirement was fulfilled in the past using both BSA requirements and unit expectations.

No. See above.

"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby Fred Johnson » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:43 am

Thanks! That's what I thought, but wanted to confirm.
Fred Johnson
Life

Return to General Advancement Information