MBC Requiring Scouts Use Worksheet That He Handed Out, Only

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Re: MBC Requiring Scouts Use Worksheet That He Handed Out, Only

Postby Fred Johnson » Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:26 pm

kwildman wrote:But I suppose that "show me your work" or asking for some form of verification that the scout completed the work is adding to the requirements. :roll: I should just sign off every scout that says he meets the camping requirements without asking for confirmation from his SM.

kwildman - Sorry for quoting yours, but it started me thinking.

You as a MBC have alot of leeway, but I'm of the opinion that a scout is trustworthy. If the scout says he has twenty days and nights, you can ask him to list them so that you can double check the math. But I see absolutely no need to go back to his SM to get trustworthy dependable information or to require a written list of the camps. For the Citz of the Nation merit badge, if the scout says he toured the state capital, I trust him. I discuss the tour with him and move on. Likewise, if he says he watched the news for five days in a row, I trust him. I don't go ask his father or mother did he really do it. Scouts tend to lean in the direction you treat them. So, I choose to trust them. IMHO.
Fred Johnson
Life

Postby deweylure » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:59 am

This scout is going to ask for another form and transfer the information as suggested by this forum and others . After Summer camp he is finding a new troop rather than quit . I suggested to mom ,have the scout visit other troops in the area then move on. apparently there have been other issues with advancement.

thanks for the suggestions ,his mom did read the responses
deweylure
Eagle

Postby japhmi » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:43 pm

FrankJ wrote:I did not noticed that the SM was the MBC. Might be time to find a new SM. :) I am a little philosophically opposed to SMs (not ASMs) being MBC to begin with. Just my philosophy, nothing in the official rules, I just think a SM's time is better spent doing other things.

In general, I agree. Growing up or SM only was a MBC for one badge, and that was Personal Fitness. We had a hard time getting a MBC for that one, and the SM had a degree in Exercise and Movement Science, so he made an exception for that one MB.

I wish that national would say "in general, SMs should not also be MBCs" but like all things, common sense should rule. 8)
japhmi
Second Class

Location: Cascade Pacific Countil - Lewis & Clark and Sunset Trail Districts

Postby kwildman » Wed Jun 29, 2011 2:11 pm

Fred Johnson wrote:
kwildman wrote:But I suppose that "show me your work" or asking for some form of verification that the scout completed the work is adding to the requirements. :roll: I should just sign off every scout that says he meets the camping requirements without asking for confirmation from his SM.

kwildman - Sorry for quoting yours, but it started me thinking.

You as a MBC have alot of leeway, but I'm of the opinion that a scout is trustworthy. If the scout says he has twenty days and nights, you can ask him to list them so that you can double check the math. But I see absolutely no need to go back to his SM to get trustworthy dependable information or to require a written list of the camps. For the Citz of the Nation merit badge, if the scout says he toured the state capital, I trust him. I discuss the tour with him and move on. Likewise, if he says he watched the news for five days in a row, I trust him. I don't go ask his father or mother did he really do it. Scouts tend to lean in the direction you treat them. So, I choose to trust them. IMHO.

In general i agree about the trustworthy bit. It is easy to verify for my scouts as I keep camping logs. I also MBC for other units and given that once a card is signed it can not be unsigned I do ask that their SM provide verification on KEY requirements. 20 days and nights is only one of the camping criteria. There are other things such as snow camping, gaining 1000 ft elevation, 5 mile river, etc. This is the same procedures that i have seen used at summer camps.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:29 am

"Trust, but verify."

If I was the MBC and gave the Scout anything to fill out, and the Scout decided that he didn't need to follow my directions, I'd make him do it over. If the Scout had an issue with it, he should have said so from the get-go. It sounds to me like the kid didn't really do what he was supposed to, then jotted it down on a form "from memory" and wants credit for it.

It seems that some people are very concerned with the "no more" portion, but forget the "no less." The dumbing down saddens and angers me.

It's an Eagle-required badge. Discuss with me before you begin, tell me your plan, execute it, and come back to be tested. Don't neglect any of those.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby deweylure » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:33 am

The scout actually did what was asked per the merit badge requirements . It was verified by the adult aka his mom and a Scouter . The process is playing out and I will let everyone know the outcome .

Dewey
deweylure
Eagle

Postby kwildman » Tue Aug 16, 2011 1:22 pm

AquilaNegra2 wrote:"

It seems that some people are very concerned with the "no more" portion, but forget the "no less." The dumbing down saddens and angers me.

+1
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Previous

Return to General Advancement Information