New Merit Badges?

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

New Merit Badges?

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:13 pm

I heard a Rumor today so I do not know how accurate it is . That we will soo have three new Merit Badges

Scuba If it anything like The Venturing Elective it would require a PADI certified Instructor

GPS

Robotics

SO I really cannot verify this as absolute but it would be interesting
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Re: New Merit Badges?

Postby biglou » Fri Mar 06, 2009 5:38 pm

Hmmmmm.......SCUBA, I don't necessarily agree with being a merit badge.

GPS. That could be incorporated into Orienteering.

Robotics. Now that would be fun. Especially if it was like Robot Wars on comedy central! I could see some of my Scouts created interesting machines to compete! :twisted:
Big Lou

Insert witty tag line here! LOL
biglou
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:20 pm

There is something else with the GPS but I cannot recall what it is.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:39 pm

There is a posting about Robotics MB on the BSA innovation site

The process for evaluating and developing new merit badges, belt loops and activity badges is now being managed by the Innovation Team. The process to be used going forward has been finalized and includes evaluation of all new ideas against four classes of criteria: Fit with Scouting, Practicality, Fun & Engagement and Resource Requirements. Initial investigation will be conducted by the Innovation Team in consultation with volunteers and staff on the Program Content Committee and then submitted to the Innovation Committee for their final decision.

I guess if they can have a Model Building MB, you can build Robots too.

SCUBA: not sure how it fits the Resource Requirements since its expensive but if they have SCUBA BSA already maybe so. Seems like Kayaking BSA would become a MB first since its a requirement for one of the Whitewater MB options.

GPS: The first requirement is for the adult leaders to use a GPS to find the correct rules of the Scouting Program and not make up their own. :lol:

Personally, I'd like them to review the requirements of a number of merit badges to take out the ambiguous language and maybe do some consolidations.
"Providing Quality Info One Paragraph At A Time"
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby AquilaNegra2 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:32 am

Yes, consolidating would be better than getting rid of them.
AquilaNegra2
Eagle

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:50 am

Orienteering and GPS would be a great consolidation.
I am still hoping for Age APpropriate MB :twisted:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 12:43 pm

Anyone want to play the MB consolidation game?

My top candidates:

Communications-Public Speaking - Journalism - Computers
Camping - Wilderness Survival
Collections - Stamp Collecting - Coin Collecting
Pets - Dog Care
Automotive Maintenance - Traffic Safety
Eprep- Safety - Fire Safety
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby kwildman » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:29 pm

Supposedly there was a GIS merit badge that was being developed. Geographic Information Systems rely heavily on GPS field data so that may be the other component. GPS by itself does not have enough material to warrant a merit badge by itself. GIS you can get into map projections, datums, corrdinate sytems, etc.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:55 pm

thats it :idea:
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby kwildman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:02 am

If anyone gets a leaked copy of the proposed merit badge I would love to see it. I manage a GIS department and want to see what they came up with. Hopefully they didn't water it down to appease the "we need a geocaching merit badge" group. :evil:

This should be a good one for the youth since it relies heavily on GPS, computers, and maps. I know that our youth have fun playing with all the equipment.
No one can pass through life, any more than he can pass through a bit of country, without leaving tracks behind, and those tracks may often be helpful to those coming after him in finding their way. - Lord Baden-Powell
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:06 am

As I have said This is a rumor and I have no way of verfying yet. Everyone keep their Eyes and Ears open and post if you hear anything.
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:13 am

This is the answer I got from National when I asked about a Geocaching MB 6 months ago.

Geocaching - It's an activity or game done with a GPS instrument. Merit badge proposals were received in the years 2002 and 2007 and denied as such by the National Advancement Committee. However, a new Geographical Information Systems (GIS) merit badge is under study and is a possibility, which if it happens, would include a geocaching activity.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby wagionvigil » Mon Mar 09, 2009 9:34 am

smtroop168 wrote:This is the answer I got from National when I asked about a Geocaching MB 6 months ago.

Geocaching - It's an activity or game done with a GPS instrument. Merit badge proposals were received in the years 2002 and 2007 and denied as such by the National Advancement Committee. However, a new Geographical Information Systems (GIS) merit badge is under study and is a possibility, which if it happens, would include a geocaching activity.

:D
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby cballman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:57 am

Back to the topic of combining certain badges. I still say no to doing anything with Public Speaking except to make it required. I believe that if we do not push this our kids will always have a fear of speaking in public. I have had the fear for years and we could help out a generation of new scouts overcome this just by utilizing what we have to work with.
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby kwildman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:58 am

I know that i saw talk of developing a GIS meritbadge about 2 years ago in one of my trade magazines. I believe that ESRI (the predominant GIS software company) was helping to fund it.

Adding a geocaching activity is kind of like having a requirement in Computer merit badge to play an on-line game with one of your friends. :lol:
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:13 pm

cballman wrote:Back to the topic of combining certain badges. I still say no to doing anything with Public Speaking except to make it required.

That's why you roll PS into the required Comms badge. They already have a couple of similar requirements.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby cballman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:41 pm

IMHO NO the Public Speaking MB needs to stand alone. The main reason is that look at your troops SPL when they get up in front of the troop can you hear him, Does he know how to talk to people, or does he mumble and stumble through the program? I think that this is one MB that needs to required over the Cits. and Personal MBs. With those we are teaching things that concern themselves but with the PS MB then we can teach them to overcome the biggest fear in the world today. Then we can pride our program in teaching the future leaders of tommorrow. Communications MB just does not go fully into this. Maybe if we put Communications Mb into the Public Speaking Badge the I might be happy :twisted:
Charlie tha BEAR with issues
"if you aint a BEAR your snackfood"
cballman
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:10 pm

cballman wrote: Communications MB just does not go fully into this. Maybe if we put Communications Mb into the Public Speaking Badge the I might be happy
:twisted:

Either/or is okay. If PS is required, then it needs alot of beefing up. The PS MB can be done in 30 minutes as there are only 22 minutes of actual speaking that is required. Comms requires multiple types of comms. That why adding Journalism (people can't write) and Computers to Comms makes sense too. Maybe we can add a "Texting MB" as well.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby kwildman » Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:42 pm

Personal speaking should take more than 30 minutes. i would require several speeches and make the scouts watch themselves on video and be critiqued by the group. I took public speaking in college and it was one of the courses that i hated at the time but i think i have used it more than some of required classes i had to take.

In my opinion, the communications merit badge is a complete waste of time. Journal your communications, attend a meeting, interview a person, be a master of ceremonies at a campfire program. I dont really have a problem with it but it should not be an Eagle required merit badge.

During my Powderhorn training we had consultants from Toastmasters International come in and do a bit on public speaking. A local club might be a good resource for counselors or helping scouts.
kwildman
Bronze Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:03 pm

kwildman wrote:Personal speaking should take more than 30 minutes. i would require several speeches and make the scouts watch themselves on video and be critiqued by the group. I took public speaking in college and it was one of the courses that i hated at the time but i think i have used it more than some of required classes i had to take.

That's why I said PS needs to be buffed up. The MB Requirements add up to 22 minutes of actual speaking time. Requiring several speeches is adding to the requirements.

Don't disagree with the Comms MB, that's why it also needs to be relooked.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Next

Return to General Advancement Information