What makes up a board for a board of review

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

What makes up a board for a board of review

Postby jreader4564 » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:29 am

Hey Its me again.
I know that the scouts SM and ASM or parents can not serve on the the scouts board of review, but if an outside person is brought in that knows the scout going up for a board of review, does this person need to be a registered committee member of a troop somewhere?

What about when a kid has a board of review at summer camp? Those people doing the board of review may be scout masters form another troop or camp commissioners. Are the able to do a board of review?
jreader4564
Tenderfoot

Postby PaulSWolf » Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:58 am

For all Boards of Review EXCEPT Eagle, all members of the BoR must be Members of the Troop Committee
Review for Tenderfoot Through Life Ranks and Eagle Palms

After a Scout has completed all requirements for Tenderfoot, Second Class, First Class, Star, and Life ranks, or an Eagle Palm, he appears before a board of review. This board of review is made up of at least three and not more than six members of the troop committee. One member serves as chairman, usually the committee member responsible for advancement. Unit leaders, assistant unit leaders, relatives, or guardians may not serve as members of a Scout's board of review.

The rule is different for EAGLE Boards of Review
The Boy Scouts of America has placed the Eagle Scout board of review in the hands of either the troop, team, crew, or ship committee or the district or council committee responsible for advancement. The council will decide and promulgate which method or methods may be used.

The board of review for an Eagle candidate is composed of a minimum of three members and a maximum of six members, 21 years of age or older. These members do not have to be registered in Scouting, but they must have an understanding of the importance and purpose of the Eagle board of review. At least one district or council advancement representative shall be a member of the Eagle board of review, when conducted at the unit level, and may serve as chairman if so requested by the unit.

There is nothing that permits an exception for others to be members of Boards of Review at Summer Camps or otherwise, even though that rule appears to be frequently overlooked.
Paul S. Wolf, P.E.(Ret.) mailto:pwolf@usscouts.org
Secretary, US Scouting Service Project, Inc.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Fibonacci » Fri Feb 29, 2008 12:26 pm

Paul ~ Here is my question. This is just hypothetical, as we have a large troop, but what about the very small troops? If a troop has only 3 or 4 registered Troop Committee Members, and only two of them are NOT related to the Scout, what is the recommendation for finding a third Board member? Using a family member is definitely out, even if the family member is a registered MC (Member of Committee.) Is it better to use a Scouter from another troop, to pay $10 to register an (unwilling) adult in the community or troop family, or something else?
Fibonacci
Life

Postby PaulSWolf » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:23 pm

Register more people as Members of the Committee (MC).

In a very small troop, you should probably register every parent as an MC, except for the Scoutmaster (SM), one Asst. SM (SA), and the Committee Chair (CC). The CC can also be on Boards of Review, of course. The Chartered Organization Representative (CR) can also serve as the CC or an MC, and the Institutional Head (IH) can serve in any position unless he/she's also the CR.

You can also ask members of your Chartering Organization (Church, VFW Post, Masonic Lodge, etc.) to serve on your committee.

Furthermore, you can also ask registered Scouters from other units to serve as members of your committee. So a neighboring SM, Cubmaster, Venturing Crew Advisor, or members of their committees, Den Leaders, Assistants, etc. can also help until the troop grows.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Fibonacci » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:44 pm

Furthermore, you can also ask registered Scouters from other units to serve as members of your committee. So a neighboring SM, Cubmaster, Venturing Crew Advisor, or members of their committees, Den Leaders, Assistants, etc. can also help until the troop grows.

Do these people need to dual-register (pay for registration in their home unit, but also register in yours w/o paying additional fees to National)?
Fibonacci
Life

Postby Mrw » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:06 pm

If they are members of your committee, they are registered to your unit. Our troop has several such members that are registered with the Packs we draw from as well as with our troop.
Mother of two Eagles and troop Advancement Chair
Mrw
Gold Palm

Postby PaulSWolf » Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Fibonacci wrote:

Do these people need to dual-register (pay for registration in their home unit, but also register in yours w/o paying additional fees to National)?
Yes. That's correct.
PaulSWolf
Counselor

Postby Hubert » Fri Feb 29, 2008 7:20 pm

This topic is also on a different thread...I choose not to talk on this issue do the last I did I was reamed pretty good. However, the other thread, titled A Failed BoR, is one where I suggest you look.
Justin
Asst. Scoutmaster
Eagle Scout Class of 2008
13 Years in scouting.
Hubert
Eagle

Postby RWSmith » Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:17 am

Although everything Paul said is dead-on, there is one possible exception:

Your Troop's UC, ADC, or DC may also serve on a BOR.
With that being said, as for a Commissioner sitting on a Tenderfoot through Life BOR, I will re-emphasize... s/he should already be "assigned" (by the DC) to and therefore, -hopefully- somewhat familiar with that unit. And, if so assigned, there should be no need to dual-register the Commissioner as this already falls within the scope of his/her duties.

FWIW... Naturally, your Unit Commissioner's priority would be helping the Troop's leadership and sponsoring org. (i.e., IH, COR, CC) recruit enough MCs so s/he won't have to sit on a BOR. :wink: But, in the meantime, if a Scout needs a BOR, and you're short on MCs, call your UC and ask him/her to help you out. (You'd be surprised at some of the old codgers that'd be coming out of the woodwork to help out a unit... esp. the one that's willing to ask. :roll:)
RWSmith
Site Admin

Postby smtroop168 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:38 am

I wonder how many units find themselves in this position. Before and when new units or formed, the DE usually looks to see if the unit is sustainable, meaning it has the requisite membership and adult leadership to make it work. Keep in mind they also are under the gun to start new units. The smallest troop I've heard of around here had 7 scouts. Small units need all possible parents to help out and the Commissioners can provide guidance and assistance to the unit but they are not usually there week to week as they have multiple units (packs/troops/crews) assigned to them, some up to 7-9 around here, despite the 1 commissioner per 3 units goal.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Postby smtroop168 » Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:08 am

I was told by our local DE that BSA says you need 5 scouts to start a troop although that is highly discouraged sine those units usually aren't sustainable.
smtroop168
Silver Palm

Return to General Advancement Information