A Failed Board of Review

This is to be used when something does not fit in any of the Other Forums

Moderators: Site Admin, Moderators

Postby wagionvigil » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:12 am

I have served on BOR for scouts from many troops over the years while at scout camp and at a couple camporees. Our council is small and we tend to have small troops. Being active in the council I have been very visible to the boys from all over the council and am quite well known so I have never thought twice when someone comes to me and says we want to have a BOR before we leave camp so we can recognize the boys at closing campfire can you come ver at 6:00? Never have I said no. It was in the best interest of the boys. Actiually I have set there beside the council exec a couple of times over the years.
NER Area 4 COPE/Climbing Chairman
NE Area 4 Venturing Chairman
"If You Ain't a Bear, You're a Meal!"
wagionvigil
Counselor

Postby WeeWillie » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:21 am

Justin

However, I had a smililar problem. I had many of my BoR at weekend summer camps and troop commettie was not there. I wanted a BoR really badly, so they were not going to deny me this right.

You don't have an undeniable right to a BOR at summer camp? Your troop's situation is not unique and certainly doesn't merit breaking the rules so you can have your rank right away. We wait a week and have a summer camp BOR the following week? Your troop leadership should have told you, "Justin you will have to wait until we return home and have a proper BOR."

Rachel (Fibonacci)
The Council Advancement Committee can approve alternate solutions to the problems faced by small troops. Ask 1st.

W have 15 Scouts (12 active) and I am one of the larger troops in our district. Coming up with BORs has not been a problem.
Mike Wilson
MBC, Cochise District, Catalina Council, Sierra Vista, AZ
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby FrankJ » Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:09 pm

have served on BOR for scouts from many troops over the years while at scout camp and at a couple camporees. Our council is small and we tend to have small troops. Being active in the council I have been very visible to the boys from all over the council and am quite well known so I have never thought twice when someone comes to me and says we want to have a BOR before we leave camp so we can recognize the boys at closing campfire can you come ver at 6:00? Never have I said no. It was in the best interest of the boys. Actiually I have set there beside the council exec a couple of times over the years.

I would say do what is best for the boys. A few years ago we need a BOR for a scout at summer camp. Jim & Sue Nun sat on the board with our CC. For those who do not know, Jim & Sue ran Scoutmaster training at Woodruff for longer than I have been in scout. A good chunk of trained leaders in the SE got it from Jim & Sue.
Frank J.
Venturing Crew Adviser, Assistant Scout Master, Renegade Merit Badge Counselor
Owl-2 WB 92-49
Foothills District Atlanta Area Council
I never teach my pupils. I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.--Albert Einstein
FrankJ
Gold Palm

Postby WeeWillie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:44 am

Someone explain to me how it is in a Scout's best interest to instill a false sense of entitlement. There is absolutely no right to have a Summer Camp BOR with non troop committee members. Short term instant gratification is no substitute for long term character development. Some day our Scouts will grow up. They future employers will be more concerned about what they can do, than their self esteem. I suggest reading "Generation Me: Why Today's Young Americans Are More Confident, Assertive, Entitled--and More Miserable Than Ever Before"

I was a WB-II Den Leader. I crossed over 6 WBs to T480. I started out in T480 as a CM. After several months and two camping trips I observed how poorly the older Scouts were treating the new Scouts. During my 1st BOR I asked a PL matter of factly "How come you didn't help Steven and Josh set up their tent on the Madera Canyon Camping Trip. You were their patrol leader and that was their 1st camping trip." Jim and Sue may be great Scouters and superb trainers, but they don't have the perspective that a troop CM has. By the way, the PL got the message. Steven is an Eagle Scout and last month crossed over to the dark side. He was ready to quit and T480 would have lost a future SM.
Mike Wilson
WeeWillie
Eagle

Postby OldGreyBear » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:18 am

"Steven is an Eagle Scout and last month crossed over to the dark side."

He became a Professional Scouter? I feel your pain!
OldGreyBear
Ephesians 6:4
Fathers, do not irritate and provoke your children to anger [do not exasperate them to resentment], but rear them [tenderly] in the training and discipline and the counsel and admonition of the Lord.
OldGreyBear
Eagle

Postby WeeWillie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:55 am

Old Gray Bear

Steven became an ASM. Next August he starts college as an Army ROTC Scholarship cadet.
Mike Wilson
WeeWillie
Eagle

Re: A Failed Board of Review

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sun May 18, 2008 7:46 pm

jreader4564 wrote:I have a question on Boards of Review. How long does a scout need to wait after he has failed a Board of Review to take it again. I am the Scout Master and our Committee Chair brought in an outsider to do his Board of Review for Life Scout, the person brought in is the same person that sits on the Eagle Boards of Review. She said that he was too immature to be a life scout and that he never should have even had a Board of Review yet.
Back to your question...

This was not a Board of Review.

Appeal it. Follow the procedure in 33088. Just include in your appeal that the troop is violating national policy. The Troop is automatically overturned.

Option 2: Call your District Advancement Chair.

Option 3: Call your Council Advancement Chair.

Option 4: Call your Council Executive.

Your greater obligation is to either get them trained or get them gone.

If it is a small troop, buddy up with another troop in your area to cross register your committee members with each other troop committees.

But there is no excuse for cheating.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby milominderbinder2 » Sun May 18, 2008 7:47 pm

milominderbinder2 wrote:
jreader4564 wrote:I have a question on Boards of Review. How long does a scout need to wait after he has failed a Board of Review to take it again. I am the Scout Master and our Committee Chair brought in an outsider to do his Board of Review for Life Scout, the person brought in is the same person that sits on the Eagle Boards of Review. She said that he was too immature to be a life scout and that he never should have even had a Board of Review yet.
Back to your question...

This was not a Board of Review.

Appeal it. Follow the procedure in 33088. Just include in your appeal that the troop is violating national policy. The Troop is automatically overturned.

Option 2: Call your District Advancement Chair.

Option 3: Call your Council Advancement Chair.

Option 4: Call your Council Executive.

Your greater obligation is to either get your troop committee trained or get them gone.

If it is a small troop, buddy up with another troop in your area to cross register your committee members with each other troop committees.

But there is no excuse for cheating.

- Craig
milominderbinder2
Eagle

Postby lovescouts7 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:45 am

I would like to also ask a question about BOR approval. Has anyone been through one where they did not award at the Eagle level? Would like to know about the circumstances. I have a potential similar situation.
lovescouts7
Scout

Postby Bill Pitcher » Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:04 pm

Hey lovescouts7, good question. And, yes it happens. See the "Eagle Scout" topic, 2nd thread on EBoR's . . . a Scout is not successful.
Eagle '63, ASM, Council Advancement Comm.(Eagle advisor),OA VIGIL member,NESA, council training staff,
Bill Pitcher
Eagle

Postby WeeWillie » Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:15 am

I am no longer active with Scouts but this popped up from an old watch list. I will try to help.

When I became SM I was immediately confronted with two Eagle candidates who in my mind did not measure up. They were not bad Scouts but the troop was a merit badge mill where home grown merit badge counselors did not enforce standards. I chose not to penalize the Scouts for a situation that adults created. That was 12 years ago. Both have gone on to college, are engineers and have families. The moral of the story is don't fault Scouts for adult action.

It is very hard to fail a BOR. Reasons that I have observed:

Declaring homosexuality - No longer an issue.
Declaring atheism.
Criminal behavior.
Admitting to falsifying advancement.
Deliberately failing.

Hope this helps.
Mike Wilson
WeeWillie
Eagle

Previous

Return to General Advancement Information